• Tweets

• Page 33 general conditions  "Your duties You must contact us as soon as reasonably possible and provide all the information,  documents, evidence and help we need to settle your claim or pursue a recovery." Some policy wordings are more specific than others. But even in this policy example, this Insurer may decide not to offer renewal, if they are not informed of a potential claim, if they find out from third party first. It is your risk to take. Do nothing and you may never hear anything further or the third party armed with your registration number makes a claim and your Insurers are contacted. Then your Insurers see you as someone who is careless.  
    • Good evening, The court date for this is 3rd June and I've decided I will defend in court. Following some very interesting happenings in my other claim at court the other day (thread will be updated after this one) I am certain I want to defend this not because I'm confident of it's success, but rather I want to experience the day and press on my belief (I know it's only a belief) that a copy of DN and NOA's themselves, is not proof of serving, which MUST have taken place. Much better evidence of serving, would just be proof of postage or signature of recipient with the correct date, even without the letter copies themselves. Their evidence in exhibits is not strict proof. Law of Property Act 196(4) "Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter........." Isn't a 'registered letter' proof of postage/receipt (signature)? It might not have mileage, but its my first claim and I will be levelled up for experiencing it and trying. Meaning I can make more informed decisions on the numerous others pending within months. including claim #2 Thank you for helping me get this far, I've learned so much already and already making better decisions on accounts I don't have a thread for. I welcome discussion, thanks  
    • thats a good point. I've attached the policy but can't see anything about reporting accidents being mandatory. Unless I'm missing something?  this is only the policy document. But I can't see it being in any of the others (list below)?  Schedule & IPBY Shows the details you gave us when you bought your policy. Includes main and additional driver details, add-ons and excesses. Insurance Certificate Proof of your vehicle insurance. It shows who's covered, your vehicle use, and any cover exclusions. Insurance Policy Explains the terms and conditions of your cover. Credit agreement Outlines the terms, payments, and interest of your credit agreement. Important Information Document Outlines fees and charges, how your data is used, and how to ask for documents in different formats. Insurance Product Information Document Details of your cover and exclusions. Direct debit information Details of your Direct Debit, such as your collection, bank details, payment amount and your Direct Debit Guarantee Pre contract credit information Outlines the key features, costs, and legal details of your credit agreement. Adequate Explanations Details of your credit agreement. About our insurance services to you Details about our vehicle insurance, service standards, and regulatory status (and the status of any intermediaries)   insurancepolicy.PDF
    • I've never thought they were reliable enough and stories like this just confirm what I thought. Tesla owner says car in ‘full self-driving mode’ failed to detect a moving train WWW.AOL.CO.UK The close-shave in Camden, Ohio, was captured from multiple angles by the car’s cameras  
    • Hi,  I had a look through the credit agreement again, despite the signature looking legit I've noticed the below and wondered if they'd work as part of my defence, a)    The document headed ‘Your Personal Details’ has an office stamp which is unreadable. b)    On the above mentioned document under section ‘What to do next’ it states turn to agreement form on page 3 however 2 pages are provided. c)    The above mentioned document is unsigned & dated on behalf of Halifax PLC. d)    Two sets of documents headed ‘Credit Card Agreement Regulated By The Consumer Credit Act 1974’ was received containing dissimilar information. Under Parties to this agreement, both papers contain different name / address of the banking institute as well as Defendants address. This document is not on letter headed paper, the layouts are different, paragraph numbers differ as does the document content. Thanks again for any help.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HUMBLEMAN vs HFC-WEIGHTMANS COURT ACTION

humbleman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had another response from another barrister regarding costs.

I would be able to assist you with a case such as this in the following manner.

Unlike solicitors, barristers do not “take on” cases in the sense that they do everything that is required. You, the client, would “run” the case but a barrister would carry out certain specified tasks, as instructed.

I could, for example, draft an Appellant’s Notice (which must be filed and served 21 days from the decision) and/or Grounds of Appeal. I could draft a Skeleton Argument in support. I could appear for you on any hearing. I could provide you with an Advice either in a meeting or in writing.

My fees are £300 per hour plus VAT.

Without actually seeing the papers (I note you have described the volume of them) it is difficult to give a reliable costs estimate. However, the best guidance I can give you in advance of seeing the papers is as follows:

1.Appellant’s Notice - £1200 plus VAT

2.Skeleton Argument (in addition to Appellant’s Notice) - £600 - £900 (ie £1800 - £2100 total for these two items)

3.Appeal Hearing (assuming up to one day) £2500 plus VAT

IMO this is the safest way forward as you only commit to one step at a time. If you go with this, I assume in dealing with the appellant's notice, it will include advice on the merits.

R

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another response from another barrister regarding costs.

I would be able to assist you with a case such as this in the following manner.

Unlike solicitors, barristers do not “take on” cases in the sense that they do everything that is required. You, the client, would “run” the case but a barrister would carry out certain specified tasks, as instructed.

I could, for example, draft an Appellant’s Notice (which must be filed and served 21 days from the decision) and/or Grounds of Appeal. I could draft a Skeleton Argument in support. I could appear for you on any hearing. I could provide you with an Advice either in a meeting or in writing.

My fees are £300 per hour plus VAT.

Without actually seeing the papers (I note you have described the volume of them) it is difficult to give a reliable costs estimate. However, the best guidance I can give you in advance of seeing the papers is as follows:

1.Appellant’s Notice - £1200 plus VAT

2.Skeleton Argument (in addition to Appellant’s Notice) - £600 - £900 (ie £1800 - £2100 total for these two items)

3.Appeal Hearing (assuming up to one day) £2500 plus VAT

Count me in for £100 for the fight fund !

am I right then VJ that effectively, HFC made claim, Pheonix appeared in court. Did Pheonix provide anything to H or court that gave Pheonix a right to even be in court?

HFC issued the claim and then assigned the debt to PHoenix who were swapped as the claimant.

I know full well that the instructions are coming from HFC.

In fact at my last cmc I told the Judge that the Director of Phoenix should be called as witness (since he is the one who signed the WS) and his reply was I doubt if it be of any use he since he would not be aware of all the details

In fact at my last cmc I told the Judge that the Director of Phoenix should be called as witness (since he is the one who signed the WS) and his reply was I doubt if it be of any use he since he would not be aware of all the details

:shock: Incredible! So any document signed by anyone off the street would have been admitted?? This challenges the whole concept of a WS i.e. it is a statement made & signed by a person who has knowledge of the facts. How could a Phoenix director sign the statement of truth at the bottom if he didn't know whether it was true of not?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

HFC issued the claim and then assigned the debt to PHoenix who were swapped as the claimant.

I know full well that the instructions are coming from HFC.

OK, see whats happening now (I think).

1. HFC issued claim

2. assignment HFC to Pheonix

3. NOA received (or not so if not by recorded or special delivery).

4. Phoenix obtain permission from court to be substituted as claimant.

5. Appear in court.

Is this correct?

R

OK, see whats happening now (I think).

1. HFC issued claim

2. assignment HFC to Pheonix

3. NOA received (or not so if not by recorded or special delivery).

4. Phoenix obtain permission from court to be substituted as claimant.

5. Appear in court.

Is this correct?

R

Correct

The notice was not sent by recorded delivery.

The assignment was mentioned to me when I called Weightman's to see if they will discontinue. I then wrote to them and asked for copy assignment, just ignored and the subsequently this was revealed during the process.

here is the NOA

NOA picture by 123GGGG_2008 - Photobucket

Hopefully should have the trial transcript by Tuesday, need to line up a barrister. The Judgment need to be approved by the trial Judge, I have no doubt that she will be taking her sweet time in approving this fine piece of work.

Correct

The notice was not sent by recorded delivery.

The assignment was mentioned to me when I called Weightman's to see if they will discontinue. I then wrote to them and asked for copy assignment, just ignored and the subsequently this was revealed during the process.

here is the NOA

NOA picture by 123GGGG_2008 - Photobucket

Just had a look at NOA, subject to the date of assignment being correct (can ask to see actual assignment to prove this), the NOA itself looks ok. Seems crucial point is SERVICE. If you have denied receiving this and claimant cannot prove delivery (recorded etc) before the hearing the other day, then IMO no lawful assignment. Would have thought that for Phoenix to be substituted for HFC they would have had to have provided evidence of the fact to th court ie assignment and noa.

Are there any other opinions on this?

R

Hopefully should have the trial transcript by Tuesday, need to line up a barrister. The Judgment need to be approved by the trial Judge, I have no doubt that she will be taking her sweet time in approving this fine piece of work.

Seems that the transcript of full hearing may be crucial to your appeal. Mine took ages to come through (held up by DJ approving it), but mine was just for the judgment and not crucial for filing appellants notice.

You may need to push transcription company hard as your grounds of appeal and SA may be dependant on content of transcript.

R

this is a letter to them after my call to them

Your Client : HFC

You say that the above has been assigned to Phoenix, since I have not received any notification from HFC or Phoenix in this matter, the assignment is invalid. If you do have any supporting documents I would welcome sight of them.

In any event I would question the right of HFC to assign the same.

Yours faithfully,

full transcript h you need the grumblings of her perceptions in other words those who cant pay and those who wont pay attitude seeing as she thinks you are one of the latter and her dismissal of documents that had been entered had she read the case in an objective manner

as far as i can see it is (should be) irrelevant and even if you admit that you are a wont pay - the law should still be applied.

this is about whether an agreement can be legally enforced and NOT whether the agreement and the indebtedness exists

if the creditor cannot legally enforce the debt - it is none of the judges business if , when or whether you eventually pay the creditor subsequent to the case and she should not bring the moral argument into the equation

if the consumer credit act had intended that the debtor should be ordered on moral grounds to pay, even if its provisions were not adhered to by the creditor- then it would have said so

personally i think all LIP defences should START with a reminder of the origins and purpose of the CCA

Seems that the transcript of full hearing may be crucial to your appeal. Mine took ages to come through (held up by DJ approving it), but mine was just for the judgment and not crucial for filing appellants notice.

You may need to push transcription company hard as your grounds of appeal and SA may be dependant on content of transcript.

R

Are you going through an appeal aswell

as far as i can see it is (should be) irrelevant and even if you admit that you are a wont pay - the law should still be applied.

this is about whether an agreement can be legally enforced and NOT whether the agreement and the indebtedness exists

if the creditor cannot legally enforce the debt - it is none of the judges business if , when or whether you eventually pay the creditor subsequent to the case and she should not bring the moral argument into the equation

if the consumer credit act had intended that the debtor should be ordered on moral grounds to pay, even if its provisions were not adhered to by the creditor- then it would have said so

personally i think all LIP defences should START with a reminder of the origins and purpose of the CCA

I THINK SHE MADE IT HER BUSINESS WITH HER COMMENTS THAT WERE UNWELCOME AND AGAINST HER BETTER JUDGEMENT LIKE H SAYSSHE SEEMS TO HAVE ALREADY MADE UP HER MIND

I Am Sure It Will Not Come Through As The Complete Article The Mumblings She Made Etc Will Be Omitted ,if This Is The Case What Can Be Done To Get The True Copy Of The Trial Transcript...

I have a fairly good recollection of the hearing and the Judgment, so god help those who sin.

if it comes through minus the "mumblings" and yet BOTH the defendant and his buddy heard them uttered then i would make a formal complaint as to the fact that the transcript has been altered to delete information which is important to your appeal - namely the judges attitude towards you

I THINK SHE MADE IT HER BUSINESS WITH HER COMMENTS THAT WERE UNWELCOME AND AGAINST HER BETTER JUDGEMENT LIKE H SAYSSHE SEEMS TO HAVE ALREADY MADE UP HER MIND

You can see from the tone of her voice and the look she was giving was like

get out of here

when ever the barrister finished with his bit, I asked the judge if I could say my bit and her reply was I have asked you before if you want anything else to add. I thought, but the barrister keeps bringing new things into argument so I had better clarify.

It is sickening isnt it when someone who obviously thinks they are above you ,she has clearly shown bias for limiting your claim in such a way as to frustrate the hearing,she may look back to regret her own actions as any complaints towards her judgements will go against her especially in the future when i looked at her format she is more akin to childrens cases ,her qualities in consumer law is not that good and she cannot handle this ,sooner you were out the better she must have thought...i hope if it goes to apea she gets a dressing down and it reflects on her character in consumer law ...surely she cannot continue in this field of law

just makes you wonder you have spent almost 2/3 years researching and asking for much needed help yet in an hour or so she can throw it into the bin,is 21 days the norm for apeals or is this her being the boss whati say goes ?

this is about whether an agreement can be legally enforced and NOT whether the agreement and the indebtedness exists AGREE TOTALLY

if the creditor cannot legally enforce the debt - it is none of the judges business if , when or whether you eventually pay the creditor subsequent to the case and she should not bring the moral argument into the equation MORALITY DOEN'T COME INTO IT. IF IT DID THE BANKS AND DCA WOULD ALWAYS LOSE

personally i think all LIP defences should START with a reminder of the origins and purpose of the CCA NOT A BAD IDEA

H, think you should be aware that NOA can come from someone other that assignor or assignee (think it was denning in Van Lynn, but know I have it somewhere) Any help from others on this?

R

It is sickening isnt it when someone who obviously thinks they are above you ,she has clearly shown bias for limiting your claim in such a way as to frustrate the hearing,she may look back to regret her own actions as any complaints towards her judgements will go against her especially in the future when i looked at her format she is more akin to childrens cases ,her qualities in consumer law is not that good and she cannot handle this ,sooner you were out the better she must have thought...i hope if it goes to apea she gets a dressing down and it reflects on her character in consumer law ...surely she cannot continue in this field of law

just makes you wonder you have spent almost 2/3 years researching and asking for much needed help yet in an hour or so she can throw it into the bin,is 21 days the norm for apeals or is this her being the boss whati say goes ?

Yes 21 days correct CPR 52.

Just had a look at NOA, subject to the date of assignment being correct (can ask to see actual assignment to prove this), the NOA itself looks ok. Seems crucial point is SERVICE. If you have denied receiving this and claimant cannot prove delivery (recorded etc) before the hearing the other day, then IMO no lawful assignment. Would have thought that for Phoenix to be substituted for HFC they would have had to have provided evidence of the fact to th court ie assignment and noa.

Are there any other opinions on this?

R

I may be wrong but I think all they have to prove is that was SENT, not that it was delivered. Well worth checking. BTW I'm up for contributing but cant say how much yet because of current fincial circumstances. So dont want to find i cant pay up what i offer.

J

As I said I was there... humbleman was denied the opportunity to present his case properly.

In hindsight, I would have told him not to go into the Witness Box to be cross examined as the Director of Phoenix was not there. On the other hand the cross examination transcript will reveal how the Judge interfered and treated the whole process with contempt.

The more I think about it the more I think there has been a miscarriage of justice and that a complaint is deserved.

I may be wrong but I think all they have to prove is that was SENT, not that it was delivered. Well worth checking. BTW I'm up for contributing but cant say how much yet because of current fincial circumstances. So dont want to find i cant pay up what i offer.

J

s.196 of the Law of Property Act 1925

Proof of service is via registered post - so they would have the serial number which would prove postage via the effective method. Proof of delivery would essentially be the fact it was not "returned to sender".

H, think you should be aware that NOA can come from someone other that assignor or assignee (think it was denning in Van Lynn, but know I have it somewhere) Any help from others on this?

R

I agree, no issues there.

It is on a letter heading of Weigtmans.

This is a very important issue

Now look at this logically, how can a legal firm act for 2 parties in the same matter.

PLEASE NOTE- THERE HAS BEEN NO ASSIGNMENT, I BELIEVE 100% THAT HFC ARE CALLING THE SHOTS.

It is not by coincidence that the debt was allegedly sold to a company by the name of Phoenix, it is actually a phoenix company.

Google phoenix and you will see what I mean