• Tweets

• Yes. I'd be very interested to know how the defendant fared in putting forward the defence that the calaimant had been contributorily negligent by not keeping their cat under control. I'm aware that some people might find that fatuous, distracting or confusing, but the reality is that I'm not aware of any law that imposes a duty upon cat owners to keep their pets under control.  Whereas I believe the law does hold dog owners responsible for their dogs in public places. I'm not certain it was at all beneficial to the OP to suggest that blaming the claimant was a credible defence...
    • Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Loss of personal information by employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I have got serious problem with my employer. basically I have been a sales assistant in this retail store for over 4 years(from 2003 to 2007).

during this periods I have had to run this store on own in the abcent of bith the store manager and the assistant manager on several occasion and I have prove to be successful in all these occasion. As a result of that I did told my store manager, I want to be train to become store manager, running the store on my own mean some times I have to work more than my contract hours and dont get paid for it which it dosnt really worried me.

/09/ 2006: So far as I was aware the assistant manager was dishonest so he was dissmis fromt the store so which I was acting as the number2 but was still geting paid as a sales assistant.

02/2006 :the store had a new number 2 but my store manager did have trust in me more than the number 2 as I have always been loyal and hard workin to him.

On serveral occasion the number wouldnt want to do any over time and will go home when his shift finish but I have most of the time stay behind and doen several unpaid over time.

03/ 2007 : I was offered my own store to run. this store I was given has ben previously be run be about 3 experince store managers and have not been able to mantain the store as the store is very difficult to mantain.

I was given 2month to mantain the store in oder to prove that I can run the store succeful, within this 2month I change the store run as requested by both my store manager and area manager, so I was made a store manager for that store.

9 /2007: remous from the store is that my store manager has been suspended as the company have a reason to believe that an act of gross misconduct had atken place and I am the next person. And the person who made this allegation was my store manager's new number2 as he have always wanted be a store manager and the store manager didnt like him so that why he did not recomend him for the post that was given to me.

14/09/2007 I was suspended from my store following an inverstigation that was carried out which include myself, the number2 and one member of staff by the head of security for the company.

I was suspended base on witness statement accounts, till sign report, sign in and sign out sheet and the back office system.

Before I was suspended tow other staff have been suspeded already both staff are one asian and black. both admit to the allegation of allowing the comapny time system to be abuse to benefit theirslef by having hours asain have worked to be paid into black account which is gorss misconduct.

I was suspended mainly because another staff (white)have admitted that she has been recieving money into her account onmy behalf but these allegation was untrue so I told the head security that these is untrue.

He told me that an allegation has been made and he has all reason to be believe that an act of gross misconduct has been commited and base on these reason he is suspending from the comapny fromt he date of 14/09/07.

I was shock to find out that these other staff (white) who addmite these allegation to be true wasn't even suspended and have told the head of security that myself and the store manager have force her to have my hours paid into her account.

0n 17/9/2007 I had my disciplinary hearing and I was dismisfrom the company as the told me that they have reason to believe I have commited an act of gross misconduct by allowing the company system to be abuse to benefit myself by allowing hours I have worked to be paid into staff (white) account.

Can someone please help me to go according to this situation has I have appeal against these decision and I have got my appeal hearing on the 19/10/2007.

Thank you for help

Charles

I don't think this is included as an unfair dismissal as the company have good reason to believe that there's been gross misconduct on your part (they have a statement from another employee). This does not mean that you have to take this lying down, you should write to your employer and ask them to explain their actions, ask for evidence that the lady recieved money that was due for you and give them a statement saying your side of the story.

Incidentally I don't think this is a race discrimination case as there have been many different races involved so it would be perfectly ok to refer to people as colleage A, B and C and not asian guy, black guy and white woman which might make some people uncomfortable.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

reputation_pos.gif

Thank you Jenschnifer

But you see my point is that why was'nt this person suspended also I did ask them during my hearing that why wasnt she suspended as well but they simply ignore that question as they told me that their talking about me and not her.

Also I have 8 witness state from thet same store which clearly state that the number2 had an affair with this staff who gave the witness statement .

I did inform the company about this kind of behaviour but nothing was done about it so I took the matter into my hand by question a few memebr of staff in the store after I have been dissmis. from the statement I have it shows that these staff feel uncomfortable working with the number2 also they believe he is having an affair with the witness who gave her statement to be true.

As a result of that 5 staff have already resign from the company and I have hard that few more will be resigning too.

So let me get this right in my head.

You work for an employer with more than one store. You applied to be a manager and after spending time getting experience in your own store you were given your own store to manage.

Your old manager was dismissed for gross misconduct and you were told (and it turned out to be true) that you were next by someone you no longer work under.

You and some other staff members were suspended pending investigation, their findings led them to fire you. A person who was allegedly involved did not get suspended and it just so happens that he or she was having an affair with your old assistant manager who happens to be the guy who knew too much

You have an appeal coming up and you need to present your case to get your job back?

If all that is right then you should not only be asking why you were fired but also why your confidential information has been given out without your consent to someone who you don't even work with any more.

Also did you attend any meetings to discuss the investigation? were you given notes from these meetings? Were you allowed to have a trade union member or a member of staff present? Are there any other witnesses who came forward to accuse you of gross misconduct? Is there any evidence that your money went into her account or that you fiddled with the time sheets?

and last one that isn't really related but I can't help but wonder, why the hell would anyone work and let someone else get paid the money?

You should definately send a PM to Ell-en, she's in the know about this sort of thing.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

reputation_pos.gif

Thank you for you help Jenschnifer

Yes I did attend meting hearing and also was present with the witness statement which happen to be the old assistant manager and the staff that he was having affair with.

I was ask if want some with me at the hearing but since I no I had nothing to hide and I'm right I said no to that option.

Basically I have been working 16 hours after christmas 06 because I had a sickle-cell but I didnt want them to find out as I dont want it to ruine my career to become a store manager so I start doing taht 16 hours and sometimes when I do more or less I expect to be paid only 16 hours in that case even if I do less then 16 I will till get my 16hours paid.

The evidence they have is: whiles I was working 16hours thi girls start doing 39 hours though her contract hours is 20hrs. so they present me with that evidence. also the till sign on report but I explain to them that anyone can used my number in my abscent. time sheet which shows that I was in the building for more than 16 per week but again told them that this signature are mine but dont remember signing out or in and could be anyone beside it dosnt take a genius to copy signature.

and finally they said the back office system which I piont out that even if I was in the building if I finish using the system and forget to log out myself it will not logg you out and this other management come and used it in my abscent which is often the case in many store.

Hi there. To be honest with you Charles, I'm a bit unclear about all this, so you will need to answer a few questions for me:

What date were you dismissed?

Have you been given a copy of the minutes of your disciplinary hearing? If so could you scan them and pm them to me so I can read exactly what you have been accused of and what evidence your employer has.

It's a bit of a tight timescale if your appeal is on 19th (this Friday) so we'll have to work fast to see if anything can be done.

If, as you say, you have witness statements - they should only concern details of your own circumstances and not hearsay or rumours regarding any other employee of the company. Remember, an employer cannot act on hearsay as it could be construed as spiteful. Anything you intend to raise in your appeal will need evidence.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Please remember an employer only needs reasonable suspicion that a gross misconduct has taken place.

Employment law is not like criminal law where you need beyond reasonable doubt.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

Hi there, I appreciate you've had problems scanning the documents but I'm afraid there's just not enough information in what you've sent for me to confidently advise you.

However, from what I can gather it looks as if your employer feels they have enough evidence to take the action they have.

If you are adamant that you have been unfairly dismissed then I suggest you take all your documents to the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) or to an employment lawyer who may be able to help if you give them all the information you have, although the timescale is very tight.

Please let us know what happens.

Kind Regards,

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

I have previous post here in regards to my unfair dissmisal, unfortunatly I cant find that post. moving on .. for those who remember i was dissmis from gross misconduct and I believe it was unfair, there I appeal against the discion, at my appeal hearing I presented a petition which was sign by 8 members of staff these exact words which the 8 staff sign for:

I am writing you this letter in regards to something I feel should be aware of. Various colleagues and I have continuously nocticed that (Name A), the assistant manager of store 0612 Brixton has a very negative attitude towards us.

We have found that he is intimidating and condescending to the majority of the store staff who are predominatly Black and Asian and in certain instances, he has made inappropriate racial remarks.

Despite our hard work, my colleagues and I feel unwelcome in out store and uncomfortable working with (Name A).

In worst cases he has even swore at us not only on the shop floor or in the office but in the presence of customers.

It has also come to our attention that he seems to be having a relationship with (Name B)a member of staff, He spend most of his time the office with this person whiles we word hard on the shopfloor.

I feel it is only right that I bring this particular behaviour directly to you attention as it is affecting our work and making us unhappy.

The above case was never inverstigated instead the Assistant manager was given a new store as store manager and the company remain firm with thier decision .

I took the case to the employee tribunal, employee tribunal have accepted the case, they have given the case a hearing date which is the 29 Feb 2008, I inform ET about I have been with the company since 2003 the company the reply that i have been with them since 2004 not only that but other thing as well, I have request the company to send me these petitions and a copy my employment contract but they didnt want to send it to me so I write to ET and later receive a letter from them, Bascially in thier letter, theyt have lost these documents and my details and I dont no what to do so I was wondering if anyone can help me.

Many thanks

Charles Hi.

I am also having difficulty understanding your issues. On what ground's do you feel that you have been unfairly dismissed.? Racism, gross misconduct, dishonesty or all of them???.

1 agree with glaswegen It would be more appropriate to refer to your colleagues as A/B/C etc.

OK, the problems I am having is this. In post 1 par 8 you mention other nationalities and their conduct ie A and B, A had his hours paid in to B's account and C being you, have been accused of having some of your hours paid in to W's account. So far we have 4 different nationalities involved.

In para 11 your refer to other witnesses as well as W not being suspended. How many witnesses does the company have against you?

You have implied that W is having a affair with the manager. This does not indicate that you were dismissed because of your nationality.

In your final post you have stated you have supplied the Employment Tribunal with a petition from your colleagues, who wrote the petition. have these colleagues also been dismissed.

You then say, you wrote to the company for the petitions and your contract of employment but they wrote back stating they did not want to supply you with them. who presented your company with the petition? was it a copy you sent to the tribunal? did you not get a copy for yourself?

the tribual would have sent your ex employer a copy of all your allegations together with any letters you have presented them with.

If your colleagues who signed the petition are still working for your employer they could have put their own jobs at risk!!. If they are the one's who have been dismissed for gross conduct and admitted the allagation the petition could look like these people bear a grudge against their ex employer !!!

Did you not sign and receive a copy of your employment contract when you stated with the comapny?

Let's start at basics,

If your company will not give you any information relating to your employment history send them a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter with the £10.00 fee, they will have to then supply you with all your information within 40 days however this will be to late for your hearing.

What I suggest is that you find a solicitor or a representative from the C.A B to represent you at the hearing. If you are not working you would probably qualify for legal aid. However you would need to do this pretty quickly for them to be able to put a case together for you but make sure you take with you all the information you have to save time.

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.