EDF Energy, Buchanan Clark + Wells, HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How on earth do I stop these people bombarding my address with mail for someone who does not live here?

To cut a long story short, I let a former colleague stay at my house last summer for a few weeks when she was having difficulties. Now I am being mailed mercilessly by these companies with letters for her boyfriend who had no right to use my address.

I have entered into email correspondence with EDF Energy with absolutely no solution. Their replies consist of "You are not a customer of ours" and "We have no postcode for you". Ummm, they certainly put my postcode on the letters they send here.

I have returned all mail with the last address I have for this person but still the mail arrives.

It seems I can't make a complaint against an energy company unless I am a customer of theirs, they request an account number.

Can anyone advise me how to stop these companies using my address for what I assume are debt collection purposes? I have asked nicely and I have asked not so nicely.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Verycrossindeed, hi - scousegeezer here. To cut straight to the chase, Buchanan Clark and Wells, wont pay any attention to what you say. If you read my thread, Buchanan are the latest company to get instructions frpom BG to recover monay from me; money I do not owe incidentally. I received a letter from them at the beginning of December I contacted them and advised them I do not owe any money. I also advised them that they should check with BG what the money is for etc. They did not know at the time. They paid no attention. I then received a further letter from them and wrote to them as a consequence, again advising that they check things out. No reply, they deny receiving the letter. Then a third letter received stating someone is going to call at my home to recover the money - very threatening I think. Three letters within a month. I have therefore issued proceedings against BG. It appears that these companies just have blind faith in what they are told by the utility companies and wont believe anything we say to them. As you are not the person the letters are addressed to, the only thing I can suggest is to visit the CAB or a solicitor and get them to write to Buchanan. Whether it will do any good or not, I cant say.

Cheers - Scousegeezer.

Thank you, Scousegeezer.

I have informed EDF Energy with returned letters and email that this person does not live here umpteen times over the last few months. Deaf ears, blind eyes, ridiculous replies that show they haven't read (or comprehended) what I wrote.

Since posting this thread I have for the first time opened a letter that arrived this morning (even though it says to be opened by addressee only). I see BCW have given an email address and I'm going to try, with little expectation, emailing them.

I'll take on board what you said about the CAB and solicitor but I don't see why I should have to go that route as I have never been a customer of theirs nor has anyone who's lived in this house over the last 32 years.

IF I get a reply from BCW, I'll certainly post it here.

Thank you again.

I had the same problem with the previous tenants at my property. I was receiving bailiff letters, court orders etc for unpaid store card bills. Every time I called to explain I was promised that they would take the name off my address, then a week later id received another letter.

What I usually do is find an email address for the company and mail them threatening to report them to the police for identity fraud. It must have worked as I have not had one since!

That's a very good idea. I'll bear that in mind.

I emailed BCW this morning with a cc to a named person at EDF Energy. So far no reply from BCW but the standard "If your email requires (they should change that to deserves as they seldom reply) a reply you will hear within ten days.

I've also had bills for this person from mobile phone companies and credit companies but they seem to have heeded my returned mail so far.

After a long phone call with the lady at EDF Energy, who did seem to be very helpful, I was told that it could take a while to sort out because I don't have an account number.

It seems returning their mail to them with "Not at this address" was the wrong thing to do. I should have opened and kept them and I certainly will keep any more that arrive.

This morning I got another letter from Geoffreyparkerbourne solicitors threatening legal action and saying action will be taken to recover the debt. Buchanan Clark + Wells have not responded to my email.

Another long phone call to EDF Energy later and I am assured that someone will get back to me today or tomorrow, all action has been put on hold and I won't recieve any more mail.

I'm extremely distressed by this whole situation and am considering contacting BBC Watchdog if the situation isn't resolved very soon.

Apart from the worry of this whole situation, I have spent hours on journeys to the post box, emailing and telephone calls over the last few months. You could say EDF have wasted my energy.

I'll update with the outcome of this, whether it is a brickbat or a boquet.

I too am having a problem with NPower for a debt I did not make. Buchanan Clark & Wells and Geoffreyparkerbourne have both been chasing me and even though I inform them the debt isn't mine, they keep writing.

Why do they not listen? And when exactly does 'request' become 'harassment'?

I'm sorry you're having the same problem but also glad I'm not alone.

I did recieve an email from BCW yesterday, again asking for an account number.

The promised phone call from the named person at EDF Energy didn't materialise. Last time I spoke to them they had no idea what happened to all the mail I returned to them over months, so that was a futile exercise.

I have looked at the Energy Watchdog complaints site but they ask for so much personal information that I'm not prepared to give out on the internet. They probably ask for an account number too.

Please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same for you.

I had a similar problem years ago. What you can do is go to your local post office and fill in a form and get the mail redirected by them instead of being delivered, I think it costs about £15 per name and they need the name/names of the person who doesnt live there.

The person who lived at my old address finally got caught fare dodging on the underground three times in a month and gave MY address as hers, she hadn't lived there for eight months so when the Transport Police turned up I handed them the letters (including several cheque books) and proved I wasn't her by showing them my annual bus pass...

I know, but at least if the Post Office send it back they know you are not lying (which I was told by one DCA)... I'm collecting a parcel today and I will see if there is a leaflet about this service - I think the £15 lasted for 3 months but am not sure as it was a few years ago now.

Yes, I can see the benefits of that service.

I've told EDF Energy and Buchanan Clarke Wells numerous times of the address this person is at. I really don't understand why they either don't read it or ignore it. It doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend to me.

They have his name and his address but it seems no one can do anything without an account number. I find this very hard to believe. His name is a very uncommon one but I was told by EDF Energy that it would take a very long time to look through all the people with that name.

Any system I've ever worked with could pull up a persons details by name or number.

Hi Verycrossindeed.

I have had the unfortunate experience of helping a friend stop BCW to stop contact. I sent them this letter if it is any use please feel free to use it. It stopped them contacting her and all we did was give her ex partners last known address (which is who the debt was related to)

Hope its some help

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of letters that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing. I have explained in full that I am not the account holder you are trying to locate. I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving letters.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by letter puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 paragraph 1 and Protection from Harassment Act 1997. You are also in breach of Data Protection Act by informing me of another person’s debt.

If you harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further contact by you will be collected and used as evidence and any telephone call made by you to me will be recorded.

However I am willing to help you make contact with the person with whom the debt is owned. If I receive written confirmation, by email before the end of the day, which you will no longer make contact with me or my household in respect of this matter, I will inform you of the debtors living and work address.

Yours faithfully,

Thank you, Mrsfoot!

It's been five days since their last letter and I'm hoping that the penny finally has dropped that this person does not live here. The letter I recieved about a week ago mentioned two weeks and some kind of threat, so I'm not holding my breath on the post having stopped.

I shall certainly use your letter if there is any further communication, and thank you again.

I have not heard anything from EDF Energy for a week now, not even the promised phone call.

I'm disgusted that there has been no formal apology.

If it was me I would edit the letter and send it on to EDF asking for a formal response. Do everything in writing as this has to enter a system. Also contact OFGEM, you will get there attention just from the letters you have received.

• 7 months later...
Hi

If they call you and bother you; you do the same, let them know what its like. call with private or pay phone and ask them for money they owe:wink: or hang up or call them names (the last one is very entertaining)

If these rats want to be rude and cheeky, we teach them manners.

good luck

their numbers

Main Office 01412213535

:evil:Suzanne Clark 0141 221 4567 [email protected]:D

Annemarie Proctor 0871 700 1737(40p) [email protected]

Richard Fenton 01789 203727 [email protected]

Johnny Campbell 0141 221 4567 [email protected]

Are you 12? What could you possibly hope to achieve from this?