Will Cabot really send someone to my door?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Goodness me. I really do feel sick.

I've been rummaging through this site for a couple of weeks now, and have to say I've found it incredibly reassuring sometimes, although I'm still bricking it.

6 - 8 years ago I had some problems paying my way, and fell behind on a barclaycard, and a few other things. Not talking huge amounts of money here, but nontheless, debts I couldn't pay. I had several debt collectors in tow for a little while, but paid off what I owed and now have a reasonably healthy credit file (no CCJ's or defaults showing).

I have a vague recollection of dealing with these people before, but don't have any details. I haven't had any problems with money for at least 4 years, maybe longer.

I've moved house a lot, but now been here for 2 years. A week before xmas, i received a letter saying 'please call Cabot Financial (Europe)'. No explaination, no clue. Just a number. That's when I found your site, and decided I would NOT be speaking to them on the phone (I was waiting for a remortgage to go through too; which now has, thankfully).

On thursday I received another letter, again, no clues, but said 'we will be calling to see you on wednesday 16th jan, between 0800 and 2100'.

Why are they coming to see me? What should I do? Please someone help??

Somebody will be along shortly to give you a more detailed answer, but in the mean time it's up to me to say.................................They have as much right to knock on your door as I have - None!! :D

Plus they can only collect a debt via a doorstep collection with a court order.

Don't worry and welcome to the fold :D

they're just trying frightening tactics to scare you into phoning.... DONT!

they told me that they would resume their collections proceedure via telephone if no payment rec'd by a certain date.... THEY DONT EVEN HAVE MY NUMBER! I nearly split my sides!

Thanks. I'm so glad I've found you on here. I think I'm gonna need a lot of help and support!! I've been worried myself absolutely stupid all over Christmas & new year!

I will definately NEVER EVER EVER be phoning them. Ever. But I am a bit worried about what will happen if someone else in my family answers the door to a collector? I know they are not supposed to call (despite the threat letter), but I keep telling myself, if they DID come, and I was in, I would know what to say, (basically that they need to write to me explaining why they want to talk to me!)

Surely they can't just write to me out of the blue, no explaininations as to why they want to talk to me?

I just did another credit check on myself; it's beautifully clean, but there was a "unclassified" search made on my maiden name on 22/02/07. Do you think they have just written to me randomly because of my name? Do they stoop to such levels?

Besides that, what's my next move? I know not to phone,. but should I write to them, and ask what they want to talk to me about? Or do I send the CCA letter? Or the SAR?

Sounds like they have just acquired a new bundle of debts; your's is in it and they think they'll give you a try and see if they can extort some money from you.]

Haven't you had a gobbledy gook letter from them saying they or one of a number of Cabot companies and they have brought the rights and not the duties? If not I suspect they are fishing as you say you have moved so often. They are now waiting to see if you bite. DON'T!!!

Wait and see what happens next.

If I was you I'd just sit tight and wait for them to come up with something. As far as you are concerned, you've done nothing wrong, so it's up to them. Dont give them anything, not even a response for the timebeing. Cabot being Cabot, if they have more on you, they'll be back to try some more.

Try not to worry about people turning up on the doorstep; I'd say many of us who have been through this had the same fears to begin with. After a short time, the paranoia passes, its perfectly normal to feel threatened, thats why they do it, and in some (probably a lot) cases, it works!

Be positive, there's plenty of help here in dealing with any crap that they might send.

Very strange isn't it? Are they even sure they got the right person?

I would be tempted to write and ask them what it is in relation to state you don't recognise any debts with their company - they ought to at least tell you what it is in relation to. DON'T get involved with any telephone calls with them at all - if they call you - just tell them to write their explanation to you.

Once they've written and explained what it's about - you can then decide whether to send for any relavant CCA, S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) etc.. depending on whether you recognise it or not it could be something you forgotten about? or they simply trying it on as we see they are known for. If it's older than 6 years it would be statute barred anyways so they can't collect. it.

There isn't a lot you can do till you know what it's about. I have seen that they issue this letter saying they'll knock your door etc.. - but I haven't seen anyone in here where they've actually done this - seems they just use this template to intimidate people into a response?

It could be you have a similar name to another account they are chasing.

Or you could just ignore it as Rhia says and make them do more work - eventually they'll have to tell you what it's about.

If your credit file is clean like you just posted - then it's probably Cabots trying it on with something older than the 6 years - so statute barred anyway.

Thank you soo much. I'm gonna sit tight. No i haven't had any other letters. I haven't had any problems with anything like this for at least 5 years, and about 5 addresses! You can imagine that sick feeling I got when I opened their first letter a week before christmas.

This has really come out of the blue for me. I know I had problems in the past but I thought it was all sorted. Well, I'll wait and see. Thank you again!