I owe a lot!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lou, my love - we're all here rooting for you and wishing you all the best.

Big hug from me - and I'll talk to you again soon,

HC

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou, my love - we're all here rooting for you and wishing you all the best.

Everyone on both sites are. :)

I replied on MSE, but this place wouldn't let me in for a bit.:confused:

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Every cloud has its silver lining. Best of luck ;)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

My bankruptcy experience

Hello

Well, it's done. I will give you a blow by blow account of what happened but I would suggest anyone on this forum contemplating bankruptcy - DO IT!

My experience will show you why.

First of all, thank you so so so so much to all the people who were supportive and gave AMAZING and ACCURATE advice.

I went to bed last night at about 1am after stewing over my papers for the millionth time. I watched a (well tried to) bit of my favourite TV show and I eventually went to sleep. My alarm went off this morning at 6.35am and I got out of bed thinking "today's the day" - I calmly went for a shower and after washing my hair twice I then proceeded to a thrird soap-up because I forgot what I was doing. By the by! Anyway all showered and smelling fresh I went to make a cup of coffee and all the time feeling numb to be honest. Not stressed, not calm, like I was in a trance.

I routinely dried and straightened my hair and put it in an alice band and put some minimal make up on and some little pearl earrings. I wore black trousers, a white shirt with black pinstripe and a matching jacket. I sat and had a fag and stared into space for about 20 minutes and then tried to sneak off without my dad seeing me. This is 7.55am by the way - the court is 6 miles away and my appointment wasn't until 9!! Anyway, he saw me he was coming back from taking the dog for a walk and I just waved and scurried off to my car.

I had £20 left in my bank account so I thought I'd use that for petrol. No, I forgot my card - clever girl. Never mind - I had enough to get there.

I drove to the County Court, checked where it was and found the nearest car park. By now it was only twenty past eight!!! I sat in the car park, had another fag, looked around making sure no one was noticing me because I was trying to be invisible. About 8.35 I phoned the agency I work for to tell them I was ill with traffic noise all around me. I explained that I'd set off for work and I felt sick so I was turning back to go home. So that was that done. By now it was about 8.40 so I went to the local shop to buy some chewing gums because I didn't want to smell of smoke did I?

All this took me to about 8.50 and I did the walk of shame to the court. Looking around in case someone knew me.

I got to court and was greeted by a really pleasant lady called Jackie and she directed me to the loo, I always need to go when I'm nervous!!!

I came back and the court security guy was chatting to me - he was lovely. A really nice guy. Quite young, very down to earth and said he saw people like me every day. Bless him he really tried to put me at ease which he did to an extent apart from my right leg taking on a mind of it's own and shaking profusely. The court official was AMAZING. She told me her name and I gave her my exemption form and I signed my affi -thingy with her and she sifted through my SOAs - all fine. I didn't have to pay the court fees. Just the £335! Brilliant. Now I have another £150 towards christmas. I was still really nervous but she put me at ease and was so pleasant I honestly couldn't believe how nice the whole thing was. I thought I was being punished. I wasn't. I was then taken to another waiting room to wait to go into see the Judge who was a lady. I had seen her earlier - very tall and elegant lady with glasses. The Court Official told me to wait and the Judge would call my name over the speaker in the corner of the room. She told me not to worry and that it happens to lots of people and that her situation would be worse if she didn't work because she was the sole bread winner in her house. So so so nice and sweet.

This was about 9.30. I then sat in the waiting room for 20 minutes watching the seconds tick away praying for the Judge to call my name. I was alone in this room by the way and I had a look through an "OK" from January but I can't tell you what the hell was in it!

At about 9.47 I was called into the District Judge's Office and it was just a big room with a big table and the Judge sitting behind it. I went to sit far away at the end of the table but the Judge told me to take a seat next to her. So I sat down and she addressed me and asked if I wanted to go bankrupt. I said I did and she looked through my papers asked me a bit about my employment and I said I was stupid and she said that obviously I was unable to pay these debts but I wouldn't have got the credit if it wasn't available. I could feel tears coming but they didn't and at 9.54am she declared me BANKRUPT. I didn't think I'd feel the way I did. I honestly felt like my stomach had gone into the floor with relief and I didn't know how to feel. She wrote a few things down and gave me my file and said thank you. I wished her a Happy Christmas and she said "Yes, and you" and I left her chambers. I was bankrupt. I got out of the door and burst into tears. I was so relieved and happy and I just felt weird to be honest. I then went back downstairs and the security guy asked me if I was all better now. And I was. I then had to go into the office where the court staff are situated and the Official Receiver phoned me and she was lovely - she just went over some details with me and said I'd have an interview on the 3rd January at 8.00am to go over everything with another OR. She gave me the office number to direct any pestering creditors and once again I wished her a Merry Christmas and said bye bye. The Official Court lady then told me to go and have a nice cup of tea and I thanked everyone for being so lovely and I left the County Court. It was AMAZING. I couldn't have wished for a more painless and pleasant experience. I sat in the car afterwards and broke my heart crying and I drove home feeling lighter than I've felt in years. I don't owe anyone a penny. I am debt-free. I can't believe it. I know I still have the interview and maybe my name in the local paper but to be honest I am less bothered about that than I thought I would be.

I've come home and I can't stop crying - just relief and I can now look foward to a debt free Christmas. I am just waiting for a creditor to call me so I can tell them where to go now. I have the OR's number and also I forgot to say that unless the bank freezes my account I can still keep it.

So for anyone out there considering doing this - believe me and I was told the same thing. It is not as bad you think it's going to be. In fact my experience was actually nice. Unless I was really lucky.

I have phoned in sick so I am going to spend the rest of today relaxing - catching up on my favourite TV show. It's American trash but I love it and drinking coffee.

Me - BSC No 60 - 12.12.07 - 9.54am

I'll update soon x x x

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much everyone x

BSC No 60

Wednesday 12th December 2007 - 9.54am

Get a life - you only get ONE!

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

http://www.cccs.co.uk/

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

**Discharged Friday 12th December 2008**

I am pleased that you feel complete relief from your situation. All the best for your future and have a happy christmas.

The corner has become much easier to approach. At long last I am able to start to look behind and see those left behind!

Well done. action-smiley-033.gif I'm so pleased it all went OK for you.:D

Now you really understand what we mean when we say that the scariest part is thinking about it.

Great news about the fee exemption as well. As I said, the court staff will do their best to let you have it. I hope that means that you can have a few nice things for Xmas. :)

Relax now and make the most of the day. You deserve to after all that stress.

[SIZE=2][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Verdana][URL="http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

what a scary experience it mustve been for you, im so pleased you now have a huge smile on your face and can go without the worry you had previously, well done you ;)

you can now have a great christmas, wishing you all the very best

honey x

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't absolutely TERRIFIED. I was. It took me weeks to make the phonecall to the court. Then last Friday during my break at work I did it. All weekend I was preparing my papers and sorting things out and I can look forward to this weekend. I think I might just go christmas shopping. Shopping? What's that again? he he.

I know now that although I went bankrupt like millions of others my money is now mine. I have a little bit put aside and I don't really want to go out on a bender of a shopping spree but if I did - I would do it within my means.

I am really over the moon to not have this hanging over me anymore. My oldest and closest friend just left and she gave me the biggest hug and I sobbed into her shoulder and she was really happy for me. I am still feeling a bit weird because 1. I lied to work and have to deal with that tomorrow 2. because I still have the OR interview to get through. Having said that I know now that the worst part is over apart from people finding out. At the end of the day it's done. I can't change the fact I got into debt and now I can't change the fact I am bankrupt. I couldn't even write that word for so long. I ws telling Ian (the court security guy) this morning that it's like a disease. Like alcoholism - until you admit there's a problem you can't deal with it. Once that first step is taken - that's the hardest part.

Again - to all the well wishers, thank you so much for the support. You were all mentioned in the D Judge's office this morning!!!

Lots and lots of love and a Merry Christmas back to all of you

Lou x x x

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Hey Lou

Oh, it's so good to hear you happy. Well done you! You've faced up to your sitiuation and you have got yourself out of it. You should be really proud of yourself.

Enjoy your day off.

:D

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

Loopy-Lou

I'm so pleased for you. When I read your first post a few weeks ago I could totally empaphise.

Your relief is palpable and you described the experience in a way that we could all understand.

I'm glad the the court staff and the Judge were so nice to you - (sounds like the security bloke took a bit of a shine to you - I thought for a minute that you were going to say he'd asked you out - which would have been a bit of an irony but a happy an even happier ending) - I guess they realise, the court staff I mean, that society is changing and that it is the norm for many, many millions to be in debt and when someone's circumstances change - it can be the tipping point.

Anyway, well done you - have a stress free christmas, enjoy the relief and start planning for your future.

All the best

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

^^^^What a lovely post - awwwwwwwwwwww.. Thank you very much. I wanted other people to know that it's not as bad as you think it's going to be and I thought the same as most people going BR. I was also told by the nice young gent that 12noon was when I was being hung! LOL

Actually Ian was very chatty. He was rather charming. I hope 2008 is my "love year" - I hope my prince charming is out there somewhere. I've been hiding for so long I can't remember how to flirt - nah - I can - you can never lose that - Hahahahahaha. I felt blessed to have the nicest team of people dealing with my hearing. I couldn't have wished for better. I just wish now that I could stop crying. Not bad tears. Happy ones. I keep being told by mum and my friend that it's just relief. I don't mind these tears, really. I've had a nice day off.

Of course I am still worried about IPOs and BROs but the chances of those for me are minimal and to be honest - they're not terrible things. My credit was shot to pieces years ago. At least now my wages are mine and I don't owe anyone a penny. As the song goes "What a Feelin" LOL

I didn't think I'd say this - I NEED A DRINK. Maybe later. ;)

• Haha 2

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Well, Lou - I think you DESERVE a drink.

:D

Wonderful account of your day - it will be such an inspiration to others in similar situations.

What is also a good feeling is when you go shopping and you are spending your own money and not using plastic.

Well done - I'll join you in that drink:p

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi Lou

So glad you had a good day today. For some reason I hadnt been getting e-mails telling me of new posts, or I would have posted sooner.

Its a great feeling, being debt free Isnt it. Its the start of your new life from now.

You have been really brave over the last couple of months and now its paid off for you. You can now tell the C/C companies to go and swivel, when they call:lol: and they will still call. When they do just give them your OR details and tell them to deal with them from now on and dont forget to smile when you tell them:)

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy new year.

Geoff

xxx

• Haha 1

Tip us a wink on my scales if you think I may have helped at all;)

Well I am staying here now

MSE has gone mad

I've been hurled with abuse and told I am a thief and a chav, I acted like a 7 year old, avoided responsilbilty and that I should go back to school to learn how to control spending.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Sounds like a troll has arrived there. Or several. Don't let it spoil your day - people like that need to have a wake up call. Hopefully it will happen to them one day - it is called Karma. Did the judge say that to you? No. So ignore them - 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hey lou

I agree with goldlady - that sounds like a troll.

You know that's not what you are. Just ignore it. Today showed you there is no shame in being BR.

And we all love you for being so honest, facing up to your situation - and going through with it.

I only hope that if I ever had to face it I'd be as strong as you have been.

xx

I agree with goldlady - that sounds like a troll.

You know that's not what you are. Just ignore it. Today showed you there is no shame in being BR.

It is. And not just one, but some people on a separate site to MSE singled out Lou to be attacked.:mad:

And to be honest the moderation on MSE can be abysmally poor at times.

But it's somewhat random and anyone could have been a target. If anything you were attacked because your story was inspiring and would help others in the same position gain strength and courage.

Don't take it to heart. Everyone else with an ounce of a heart thinks you have done fantastically well and deserve every chance this fresh start can give you. :)

Just wanted to see if you are ok loopy-lou1 and just to add my voice to what others have already said ,and to say you did a very brave thing yesterday and those morons havnt a clue how hard it was.

All the best and if something crops up you need help with just give me a shout if fermi,s not about:)

Hey guys!

I went on MSE - morbid curiosity - and my thread's gone. Thank God. So the mods did get rid of it. I asked them to. I didn't want anyone being terrified out of going BR. I did it to help not to petrify future bankrupts. I know I overspent. I know I am bloody stupid. I did act "slightly" frivolously and I'm paying for it. Maybe not financially but the emotional and mental stress is massive. I dealt with this on my own. Apart from the help here and ringing the National Debtline. No CAB, no CCCS. I booked my BR - I waited a few weeks to afford it. I struggled and I did it.

I am not proud of being bankrupt but I am somewhat relieved. I just had a creditor who I detest as a company on the phone. You all know them - Robinson Way. The girl was slightly smug initially and to be honest so was I when I told her I was BR. By the end of the call - I apologised and you know what she said to me "you dealt with your debts the best way you could" - I said I was really sorry and I hadn't meant to do it first and she said "That was your only option" - I wished her a Merry Christmas and she did the same and I got off the phone and broke my heart crying. I am sorry. I really am. I thought I'd gloat but I haven't. The only ones I would do that with are "HFO Services" and I have them blocked thank God. They made me sick to the stomach so I have no feelings for them. 3k is nothing to them. They make that in commission for terrorising people. And they're trading illegally.

I feel ok. Not on top of the world but relieved and I am grateful to everyone here. Hopefully my safe haven from the TROLLS.

Cheers L x

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Good for you, Lou. Glad the trolls thread went.

You did not deserve that.

:)

You did not deserve that.

:)

Agree wholeheartedly. Their time will come.

BANK CHARGES

Others