Insurance nightmare - being hit from behind

EveOwes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope somebody on here can steer us in the right direction before we lose our minds.

My daughter was involved in a little pile up. A car two in front of her slammed on its brakes for no reason and the car in front of her bumped into it slightly. My daughter stopped and didn't hit anything but the car behind her didn't stop in time and hit her and the car behind that didn't stop in time and hit the car behind my daughter which caused that car to then hit my daughter's car even harder a second time.

My daughter called the police because the car at the front and the one behind her quickly got out and checked their cars and drove off - refusing to be involved with the process. It turns out that the car at the front is putting in a PI claim. Police are now investigating them.

The car that hit my daughter's from behind was a new car but turns out the driver hadn't insured it. She gave her first name and mobile number only both of which were genuine. She and her passenger were in a hurry to get away from the scene - either because she wasn't insured or there was something illegal in the car?? She then tried to avoid all consequences of the accident and even tried to sue to guy who hit her car even though he was insured but that's between him and her.

She gave false addresses to the police when they contacted her and to the insurers when they contacted her. Turns out she's a law student. My daughter tracked her down using google and also found her new Facebook account which she's using under a different surname. She's definitely dodgy but we're not sure how other than her lies. Accident Exchange are watching her street to find out when she's around so they can confront her. My daughter has informed the police of all this info but they are frustrated in that the accident was in Surrey Police area but this woman lives in Met Police area and Surrey Police cannot just go to her house and arrest her.

My daughter's problems started when her insurers - Sheilas Wheels - and the guy at the very end's insurers - LV - all started disputing liability. Several engineers called out and all give a ball park figure repairs about the same price. So SW decide to write off the car, and yet it's still ongoing with disputes here and there and claims for this and that and so on.

Accident Exchange are involved and have got my daughter a replacement car as the one offered was no good for her needs which involve taking two baby seats in and out on a regular basis using the ISOfix system.

SW have not replaced the car seats and have told my daughter to do so and present the receipts - well my daughter doesn't have £300 sitting around to spend on car seats, so the babies are still using the original ones.

Her baby son aged one was in the car when she was hit but they don't care because there's no obvious sign of injury. My daughter got whiplash - genuine not just an excuse for a claim. Yet it looks like instead of repairing her car they are going to pay out almost what she would have sold it for, less excesses and so on.

The accident was end July and her policy renewed in Sept. No renewal paperwork was received that we are aware of and now they are saying they will take approx. £1000 insurance fee from any pay out as this was the current year's insurance fee. Yet she didn't have a car since July.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this? My daughter has been screaming down the phone to them again today, and is now saying that they must repair it (she can sell it for more than what they are offering to pay).

She doesn't have motor legal protection, and I don't think they would have included it in the renewal. I have motor legal protection on my policy as standard but not sure I can use it for her (I'm with Co-Op).

Help! please.

thank you

Edited by EveOwes
more inbfo

Well, since the one behind her wasnt insured, then its the fault of that driver. The insurer should pay out then chase that driver for the money. Basically they should be doing the job they get paid to do. Not fob everyone off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi, no the driver had no insurance at all, and was driving a new car! She's an arrogant and dishonest little (any name will do!) and keeps trying to hide from police (who can't be bothered with it all) and insurers, who aren't much better. The worse thing is, because my daughter didn't have this 'motor legal protection' thing, she is being shafted by the insurers - cost of excess and so on. I don't get it, you are either liable or you aren't. Being hit from behind in the way described the insurers have said she's not to blame but are taking the excess from her because of the driver being uninsured. I just don't understand it.

If the police aren't interested, get a formal complaint to the chief super intendant and your local mp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D