• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New CAB debt tool & online Assisted Self Help Debt Management Plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just had another go on this.

Seems to work OK and potentially has many uses including a standard budgeting tool, very handy to have all expenditure details and names and addresses of who and what with in one place etc when considering options.

Not seen anything quite like it to be honest

Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Wintry

Yeah, this could be quite useful!

Hi sequenci

Yes, like everything, I think its always best to take your time and have good steady look through things.

The word is - there is more to come on this.

Looks like all three main players (charities) may have something now if you like, so to be fair lets not leave out this one -

https://debtremedy.cccs.co.uk/start.aspx

Edited by Wintry

At least it give you the amounts per couple or single person as a guide & the guide as to the amounts per child as well....which I feel will help people do own DMP`s better knowing they have put down an amount that hopefully the DCA`s would`nt try to alter ;)

At least it give you the amounts per couple or single person as a guide & the guide as to the amounts per child as well....which I feel will help people do own DMP`s better knowing they have put down an amount that hopefully the DCA`s would`nt try to alter ;)

Hi SPOTS

The DCAs and creditors could find themselves in a bit of a quandry if they continue to reject offers of payment etc that are in line with the Common Financial Statement or similar according to the OFT reviewed guidelines on Debt Collection (and about time too in my opinion)

Perhaps a system like the CAB one will complete the loop of telephone, internet, face to face advice and vital follow up support that the powers that be seem to be trying to achieve - eg the Money Advice Service.

All details of the online DMP etc can be confidentially saved on this system, and with regard to the above, applications look to be numerous.

This part gives a good user friendly account of how the Debt management Plan section works

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/dmptour.asp

Interesting Wintry. Not least why it was developed when there are others like CCCS, NDL with similar systems. It can do no harm if it does no good. NE Derbyshire your patch? If so you may have come across Mrs P who works for Advice Derbyshire.

Hello Nick

I think the answer may stand out in your first question Nick and maybe they thought it would be a good idea to join the club and have their own independent system that they can control and further develop and why not?

The others you mention are very good also and I always say they are worth a look, but there does seem to be a bit of a difference where the Debt Management Plan section is concerned compared to the CAB one.

For an agency such as the CAB (and others) that operate a telephone, internet, open door and outreach face to face advice policy (Home visits, GP Surgeries, Royal British Legion, Macmillan Cancer for example) my honest opinion is a resource such as this could potentially have huge benefits for those in debt, advisers and with regard to support & partner agencies, especially where the most vulnerable are concerned - in fact it looks to me that this system can be basically used anywhere where support is concerned as everything is saved - eg other agencies / charities / at home with friends and family, perhaps forums as well when you think about it - that has to be a good thing surely Nick.

It did seem to appear out of the blue though and may have taken a few people by surprise I would imagine.

Nick, like you say if it can do some good then all the better and like with the others you mention, people are always free to look if they so choose.

Maybe even a shade of the Big Society in there somewhere:)

I know a few people NE Derbyshire way Nick, some good rough tough old mining towns & villages round that way - good solid people though Nick, yes they are fine people and Derbyshire is a grand county overall.

Have you had a good look and try Nick?

Edited by Wintry

Nick

Looking at the NDL - https://www.mymoneysteps.org/ again I have read these sections with interest -

Who sponsors My Money Steps?

My Money Steps is sponsored and developed in partnership with Barclaycard. The service is independent from Barclaycard and is maintained by debt advice experts at National Debtline and Business Debtline.

Is My Money Steps recognised by creditors?

In short, yes. My Money Steps is a recognised source of debt advice, and lenders are required to give anyone using My Money Steps the same consideration they would give to an expert debt adviser making offers on behalf of their client.

Interesting

Does this mean that offers based on the Common Financial Statement (CFS) or similar as I believe are mentioned in the reviewed OFT Debt Collection Guidelines October 2011 will be accepted by Barclaycard and collection agencies / departments such as Mercers etc.

Hope so

I notice that National Debtline are posting on here now, so perhaps they would like to comment and maybe put the record straight?

Edited by Wintry

Hi WintryI've had the chance to take a look in more detail at the site. a bit clunky but it will do the job. I can't comment on CFS and offer acceptability. We use the CFS for DRO's and the CCCS guidelines for IVA's (due to the IVA protocol). We use our own figures which are a comination of CFS/CCCS and our own expendtiture guidance (more generous than either CCCS or CFS as this works better for average income plus clients although it reduces the amount that can be paid to cerditors, and our fee!). On the whole We don't have a problem with offer acceptability to Barclaycard or DCA's. On the whole issue of self help, I'm a big fan from a commercial point of view. A substancial number of our clients contact us as a result of being offered this option and not wanting that approach. They want to make one payment every month and let us deal with their creditors to get them off their back; thats why they pay the fee; we take the strain and the hassle. In short, the more self help the free sector provides the better I like it!

Hi WintryI've had the chance to take a look in more detail at the site. a bit clunky but it will do the job. I can't comment on CFS and offer acceptability. We use the CFS for DRO's and the CCCS guidelines for IVA's (due to the IVA protocol). We use our own figures which are a comination of CFS/CCCS and our own expendtiture guidance (more generous than either CCCS or CFS as this works better for average income plus clients although it reduces the amount that can be paid to cerditors, and our fee!). On the whole We don't have a problem with offer acceptability to Barclaycard or DCA's. On the whole issue of self help, I'm a big fan from a commercial point of view. A substancial number of our clients contact us as a result of being offered this option and not wanting that approach. They want to make one payment every month and let us deal with their creditors to get them off their back; thats why they pay the fee; we take the strain and the hassle. In short, the more self help the free sector provides the better I like it!

Hi Nick

Always best to have a good look at things Nick, did you put in any trial figures through the DMP section?, I also like the priority creditor section as well, pretty original stuff overall.

Yes, I can see what you mean to a certain extent with the clunky comment (maybe a bit chunky too in places) - but very easy to use though and perhaps designed that way.

I dont think the CAB system is funded by the banks etc either so maybe not as much financial help to put it together but perhaps a little tongue in cheek they can claim to be truely independent as a result which may strike a cord somewhere.

I also understand there is quite a lot more to come with this site Nick

Nick, debt advice covers a wide area for an open door face to face agency as it can cut across or overlap with benefits, employment, health, housing and people can just walk in with multi problems, different from being miles away at the end of the telephone really.

Another point is this - what happens to the people who have little or no disposable income where say debt management is their only real option - why do agencies have minimum amounts of disposable income, number of creditors and level of debt as a debt managemenI plan is an informal arrangement isnt it, why the apparant restrictions?

Many people are losing their jobs for the first time or suffering pay freezes & reductions with benefit & welfare rights issues on the increase even before the proposed universal credit that is set to start kicking in next year.

Nick, a big fan of self help from a commercial view you may be, but CABs are not driven by profit and have to adapt to the changing face of debt and related advice issues (especially where the most vulnerable who may have no one else to turn to are concerned) and the ever increase in demand they face (including from people who have already paid fees - eg failing & failed Debt Management Plans & IVAs)

Surely there has to be consistancy with guideline & trigger figures Nick you can't really have wild variations in standard allowances if agencies are to be able to advise properly and the OFT do clearly mention the Common Financial Statement (people might get accused of making figures fit a particular solution if we are not careful you know and maybe that may not excactly be best for the client).

Mind you trigger figures can never be an exact science I would say

Your comment though on the CCCS figures and IVAs was interesting, but remind me again Nick what IVA stands for if you dont mind - is it.... 'Individual' Voluntary Arrangement?

I would say that the CAB (including the good people there that give their time for free) and other agencies always try to do their best to take out the strain and hassle but I am afraid in the real world it is not always as simple as that and as far As I understand they do not base their advice and support on and for commercial reasons.

Early days it would seem however the word is that the CAB system is progressing well with other agencies showing an interest.

Edited by Wintry

Hello Wintry + Nick

Does this mean that offers based on the Common Financial Statement (CFS) or similar as I believe are mentioned in the reviewed OFT debt collection Guidelines October 2011 will be accepted by Barclaycard and collection agencies / departments such as Mercers etc.

This is a great question, I will find out for you if there has been any dialogue between the Money Advice Trust and Barclays on this specific point. As you are more than aware if any creditor is presented with a budget sheet based upon CFS (or similar) figures they should accept it at face value - and as such the offers of payment being made. We are pleased that this is specifically mentioned within the OFT guidance, I am sure you are too. As far as Barclays and Mercers are concerned - the general feeling across the advisers is that there are far fewer issues about rejected payments coming through. As the My Money Steps system mentions it is completely independent from Barclays; I can, of course, appreciate that some people still may feel uneasy about it.

On a wider point we are pleased that there are lots of new initiatives being introduced, it can only be a positive thing.

Nick, can you send our best wishes to Mrs P?

Edited by National Debtline

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

Hello Wintry + Nick

This is a great question, I will find out for you if there has been any dialogue between the Money Advice Trust and Barclays on this specific point. As you are more than aware if any creditor is presented with a budget sheet based upon CFS (or similar) figures they should accept it at face value - and as such the offers of payment being made. We are pleased that this is specifically mentioned within the OFT guidance, I am sure you are too. As far as Barclays and Mercers are concerned - the general feeling across the advisers is that there are far fewer issues about rejected payments coming through. As the My Money Steps system mentions it is completely independent from Barclays; I can, of course, appreciate that some people still may feel uneasy about it.

On a wider point we are pleased that there are lots of new initiatives being introduced, it can only be a positive thing.

Hi

Thank you for this, it is a good reply.

There are a number of trigger figures along with the HES guidelines as used by the O/R - this can be confusing where advice is concerned and there has to clarifaction somewhere or it can lead to a bit of a nonsense situation at times.

Also it is about time people who are doing their best to deal with their debts are treated properly with regard to offers of payment, and the days where silly, unrealistic and clearly unsustainable demands are put to bed where they belong along with those (I was going to say clowns, but I wont) that make them. The OFT have got it right this time in my opinion and the sooner it is sorted the better.

"On a wider point we are pleased that there are lots of new initiatives being introduced, it can only be a positive thing"

Well said National Debtline

Like your fact sheets too, good stuff

Edited by Wintry

Hi

This late December article is perhaps relevant to some of the points raised and more than emphasises the need for available genuine independent advice, help and support wherever the source or initiative it comes from.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/dec/30/antidepressant-use-england-soars

Hello Wintry + Nick

I will and indeed I have!

Hi

I see the CAB system http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk has now been updated where you can access further information and take the options / remedy test without logging in however it does not save your details for future reference if not logged in.

I understand that the new CAB system is now being successfully used and will be developed further over the coming weeks and months with different features added as it goes along.

It is FREE and if it helps people then it has to be a good thing and with all things new time will tell I suppose.

Other similiar systems include -

http://www.cashflow.uk.net/

https://debtremedy.cccs.co.uk/start.aspx

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

Edited by Wintry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Nick, I hope all is well with you

Just to introduce myself, I am a debt advice casworker at NE Derbyshire CAB.

Thank you so much for showing an interest in our new debt advice resource and online debt management plan.

The feedback we have had to date has been generally excellent and is appreciated.

To keep you updated our new system is working well with both advisers and clients and we are very pleased with how things are going at the moment.

Along with the obvious we are finding that the new system looks like turning out to be a great help with our most vulnerable clients including were we work with other support agencies and at outreach sessions etc. We are noticing other possible uses too and the site is being developed further.

More CAB branches and other agencies are also showing a real interest in using the new debt resource so it may become more widespread in time.

The new system is FREE and available for anybody to use and there are guide figures to follow if necessary hopefully to makes things easier.

If you have any further questions or querys on the new resource then I might be able to answer or help.

Oh, just one other thing, I am a little puzzled by your explanation of the CFS acceptance and trigger figures etc and you might wish to elaborate a little on these as I am willing to learn like anybody else.

Hope to hear from you soon Nick

Thanx again for you time and input

A

PS

I hope the CAG site owners and moderators do not mind me posting on here as a CAB adviser, please let me know if there are any issues or problems as I will fully respect your decisions.

Edited by NEDCAB Lady
missing words

All this online stuff is good - but if you read the Daily Mail and other papers having internet packages at home is deemed a 'luxury the unemployed cannot afford'.... how do you cope if you live in a rural area and can't access wi-fi hotspots or the local library's pitiful computer access - always a long queue for the local one, the Jobcentre kicks you off their phones if you are on longer than 1/2 hour too...

All this online stuff is good - but if you read the Daily Mail and other papers having internet packages at home is deemed a 'luxury the unemployed cannot afford'.... how do you cope if you live in a rural area and can't access wi-fi hotspots or the local library's pitiful computer access - always a long queue for the local one, the Jobcentre kicks you off their phones if you are on longer than 1/2 hour too...

Hi

I agree with you

The ideal situation as far as advice and support is concerned would be access to the internet, telephone and a local walk in agencies but in some areas this is not available or possible and could get more scarce if some of the proposed cuts are anything to go by.

Where people are struggling finacially and otherwise it can seem like everything and the world is against you at times, awful situation really.

A