Has my car been cloned

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may be of interest this morning I received a speeding ticket through the post. I will not at this time give to many details. The date, time and place of the offence on the ticket cannot be for my car though the registration is correct, At this date and time my car was being repaired in a garage over 200 miles away (undrivable as in no engine) and I was using a hire car.

I am going to visit local police this morning with paperwork to prove this will post result later.

dpick

Hi have been into local police station with all details they are checking into possibility that my car has been cloned, As I purchased car new from main dealer. They say to do nothing they will get back to me.

dpick

Few things to mention here...

I take it you checked the registration to ensure it was yours to the letter (along with make/model)

On a car forum, something similar happened in that the car was reported to be cloned. The car he bought was from a dealership, and was the managers ex demo so we know it was legit. Problem was... the other one was also legit.

It turned out that there was a "mistake" when it came out of the factory in that the VIN was registered wrongly on the documentation but it was different on the car itself. Up till the end, they only worked on documentation and not check the individual cars itself.

DVLA I think changed it once the truth was out and things got sorted.

It CAN happen but as far as you are concerned, you have a hire car, you were NOT the driver and the car is in repair with no engine.

My only worry for you is that you have 14 days to respond...otherwise things get messy. If they are saying nothing... can you get this from them in writing?

From my NIP I remember seeing an option that you were not the driver and you could send it back?

If it came to nominating the driver, I think here you would make your case etc.

I dont know the in's and outs of it and I'm sure someone will explan it properly on a legal side but you do need to move on this just incase it passes 14 days and as I say, things get messy.

I know this is obvious, but have you checked your registration plate against your V5? Sometimes a mistake is made when a tatty number plates are replaced. A few years ago I obtained a new vehicle that was taxed and drove around in it merrily for one year, until it came to light that the supplying dealer (a very respectable one) had mistakenly made number plates up that were one digit out. So, the V5 was correct, the tax disc was correct, but the number plate wasn't. My 16tonne lorry VRM had the number of a motorbike.

I know this is obvious, but have you checked your registration plate against your V5? Sometimes a mistake is made when a tatty number plates are replaced. A few years ago I obtained a new vehicle that was taxed and drove around in it merrily for one year, until it came to light that the supplying dealer (a very respectable one) had mistakenly made number plates up that were one digit out. So, the V5 was correct, the tax disc was correct, but the number plate wasn't. My 16tonne lorry VRM had the number of a motorbike.

Something similar also happened on one of our company cars when I worked for a big national. The guy who was driving it obviously didn't have the V5 which was at head office so wasn't party to it's first registration. First time it became a problem was when it was 1 year old and he didn't receive a new tax disk from HO. After some investigation it turned out there was a tax disk kicking around, but he wasn't given it at the company local office coz the actual reg plate on his car different to the number on the disk!

My only worry for you is that you have 14 days to respond...otherwise things get messy. If they are saying nothing... can you get this from them in writing?

From my NIP I remember seeing an option that you were not the driver and you could send it back?

If it came to nominating the driver, I think here you would make your case etc.

I dont know the in's and outs of it and I'm sure someone will explan it properly on a legal side but you do need to move on this just incase it passes 14 days and as I say, things get messy.

28 days, not 14 (from date of service of the NIP).

dpick,

You must respond to the NIP/S.172 request for the information regarding the driver; not to do so sets up a new and completely different offence of "failing to provide" which is 6 points and a large fine.

You should write to the address on the NIP, using recorded delivery as a minimum, to explain the situation as you have here. Include the name and badge number of whoever you saw at the police Station. Also give them the name of the garage where your car currently is.

Whilst you are the registered keeper of a vehicle with that VRM, you are not the person keeping the vehicle concerned and the burden set by statute is lower than that of the keeper.

What I have known happen before is where a car is purchased new from a dealer, and 2 or more cars have been registered by the dealer at the same time, all the paperwork is correct but some numpty in the workshop put the same VRM on two cars. This is easily done if the plates are only fitted just before collection and they are colected on different days. You say that your paperwork V5 and VIN are correct, so that would point to the other car being wrong - but that is for the Police/DVLA to sort out. Cloning is a much more likely explanation BTW.

What I have known happen before is where a car is purchased new from a dealer, and 2 or more cars have been registered by the dealer at the same time, all the paperwork is correct but some numpty in the workshop put the same VRM on two cars.

I had dealings with someone who had the wrong VRM put on his van (one letter was wrong) by the dealer. He drove it about for 18 months re-taxed it, insured it and the whole time failed to notice the VRM was not the same as his documents, lol. He eventually realised the mistake when he got a PCN because the VRM did not match his permit which had the correct V5 VRM on it.

A few years ago I bought a car at auction and displayed it for sale for a couple of weeks and then some bright spark pointed out that the front and rear number plates although had the same year letter, the rest of the digits were completely different. A few phone calls later it transpired that about nine months previous the car had been in a bodyshop due to having suffered a broken front bumper, and when fitting up they had put the plate from another car which was stripped down on by mistake.

Maybe i missed something. where did a 'NIP' come into this when he hasnt given any details about the type of ticket?

-

Here.

this morning I received a speeding ticket through the post

'Just' receiving a speeding ticket must be a NIP/S.172. It may also include (depending on constabulary) a CoPF.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all had a visit from local police yesterday they have confirmed my car and it's docs are correct they have checked with garage where my car was under repair etc and all ok. I do not fully understand what they have said but they did say that as far as I am concerned the ticket has been dropped. They have given me a form to show if I am stopped and also have advised me to carry my car documents on me at all times as they have put a marker on my reg number.

The police did show me a photo of the car involved and the only difference's are my car has a tow bar and my spare wheel has a cover with a painting on it.

The police know that I have posted this thread and have asked that at this time I do not go into any more detail then I have.

dpick

Here.

'Just' receiving a speeding ticket must be a NIP/S.172. It may also include (depending on constabulary) a CoPF.

Doh!

sorry.

-