• Tweets

• It's genuinely amazing how you managed to rebuke pretty much all of my points without giving a single shred of evidence to prove it. When asked for evidence all you claim is that "it's clear cut" but how is anyone here meant to know if you won't show it?   I agree with this. If you can't convince us, how are you going to convince the judges when this inevitably goes to court?
    • This is a ridiculous situation.  The lender has made so many stupid errors of judgement.  I refuse to bow down and willingly 'pay' for their mistakes.  I really want to put this behind me and move on.  I can't yet. 
    • Peter McCormack says he has secured a 15-year lease on the club's Bedford ground.View the full article
    • ae - i have no funds to appoint lawyers.   My point about most caggers getting lost is simply due to so many layers of legal issues that is bound to confuse.  
    • Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same.   Yes.  But every interested buyer was offering within a range - based on local market sales evidence.  Shelter site says a lender is not allowed to wait for the market to improve. Why serve a dilapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease.   The dilapidations notice was a legal first step.  Freeholders have to give time to leaseholders to remedy.  Lender lawyers advised the property was going to be sold and the new buyer would undertake the work.  Their missive came shortly before contracts were given to buyer.  The buyer lawyer and freehold lawyers were then in contact.  The issue of dilapidations remedy was discussed..  But then lender reneged.  There was a few months where neither I nor freeholders were sure what was going on.  Then suddenly demolition works started.   Before one issues a s146 one has to issue a LBA.  That is eventually what happened. ...legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease   A s146 was served.  It took 3y but the parties came to a settlement.   (They couldn't revert as they had ripped out irreplaceable historical features). The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there.  That's not the case   One can ask for another extension.  In this instance the freeholders eventually agreed with a proviso for the receiver not to serve another. You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension.  Correct.  But receiver lawyer was an idiot.   He made so many errors.  No idea why the receiver instructed him?  He used to work for lender lawyers. I belatedly discovered he was sacked for dishonesty and fined a huge sum by the sra  (though kept his licence).  He eventually joined another firm and the receiver bizarrely chose him to handle the extension.  Again he messed up - which is why the matter still hasn't been properly concluded.   In reality, its quite clear the lender/ receiver were just trying to overwhelm me (as trustee and leaseholder) with work (and costs) due to so many legal  issues.  Also they tried to twist things (as lawyers sometimes do).  They tried to create a situation where the freeholders would get a wasted costs order - the intent was to bankrupt the freeholders so they could grab the fh that way.   That didn't happen.  They are still trying though.  They owe the freeholders legal costs (s60) and are refusing to pay.  They are trying to get the freeholders to refer the matter to the tribunal - simply to incur more costs (the freeholders don't want and cant's afford to incur)  Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to.... The property does not qualify under 67 Act.  Their notice was invalid and voided. B petition was struck out. So this is dealt with then.  That action was dealt with yes.   But they then issued a new claim out of a different random court - which I'm still dealing with alone.  This is where I have issues with my old lawyer. He failed to read important legal docs  (which I kept emailing and asking if he was dealing with) and  also didn't deal with something crucial I pointed out.  This lawyer had the lender in a corner and he did not act. Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been ....  Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at?   I could.  But the evidence is clear cut.  Receiver email to lender and lender lawyer: "our strategy for many months  has been for ceo to get the property".  A lender is not allowed to influence the receivership.   They clearly were.  And the law firm were complicit.  The same firm representing the lender and the ceo in his personal capacity - conflict of interest?   I  also have evidence of the lender trying to pay a buyer to walk.  I was never supposed to know about this.  But I was given copies of messages from the receiver "I need to see you face to face, these things are best not put in writing".  No need to divulge all here.  But in hindsight it's clear the lender/ receiver tried - via 2 meetings - to get rid of this buyer (pay large £s) to clear the path for the ceo.   One thing I need to clarify - if a receiver tells a lender to do - or not to do - something should the lender comply? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barred from seeing the Accounts as new Treasurer council tenants association

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been voted on by residents of a council estate to represent them as treasurer on the tenants association.

The association receives funds from the council, has to abide by the council set constitution for residents associations.

The constitution states that the treasurers role is to be the main signatory on the accounts, and that all payments must have the treasurers signature.

Also that all of the accounts must be with the treasurer.

For almost 3 months I've still not seen any accounts, or had anything to do with the finances.

I asked a few days after being voted on by residents, and over a 2 week period of asking,

and then being told to wait almost another month until the next meeting

the relationship with the other officers (Chair, Vice Chair) has ended up with them accusing me of being on a mission,

and now I have had no contact with them for over 2 months.

Even after contacting them, through email weekly.

I've contacted the councils resident engagement officer and the housing officer who are now saying i should wait until until the next meeting.

There have been meetings going on with council officers in attendance and I've not been informed of them,

I dont know when the next meeting is and now I'm left with wondering what to do next?

Can anyone help???

I have the constitution. The accounts are with another member, who refuses to respond to my emails. The resident engagement officer employed by the council is doing virtually nothing.

What is a special resolution, I stupidly am thinking of going down the legal route, as they receive public funds and are supposed to abide by the constitution for funds

Hi

Right the Chair + Vice Chairs attitude that you are on a mission is completely unacceptable as they and ultimately you the Treasurer are accountable for the Finances of your RA.

It seems like the Chair + Vice Chair have no idea that all the finances of your RA need to be accounted for and also for openness and transparency how is your RA showing your account to your service users.

I think you now need to make this Formal as you have tried to be reasonable by speaking to relevant parties pointing out your concerns and as of now DO NOT Sign any accounts or funds for money going in/out as you have no idea of the RA Financial Situation so legally you cannot approve signing anything.

You now require copies of all the RA Financial statement/ Annual Accounts and a copy of the RA Consitution as without these your role as Treasurer CANNOT be carried out as you has previously as for these on numerous occasions.

Due to the serious nature of this matter you also reguire a meeting with the Head of Finance and Chief Executive to explain why you are unable to carryout your role as Treasurer due to the refusal to provide the legal document required.

You are doing the correct thing raising your concerns as being the Treasurers the buck stops with you on the finances so you are correct to be concerned.

Almost forgot put this all in writing and send a copy to the Chairpersons and the Chief Executive.

Also at you next meeting raise your concerns if still not resolved and make the point at the beginning that you want what you are going to say to be "Fully Minuted" and you wish a copy of those minutes and raise your full concerns importantly you are unable to fulfil your role as Treasurer with the refusal to provide this documentation.

Edited by stu007
  • Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you have a copy of the constitution, it should set out how to demand a meeting and what the quorum is. If this isn't mentioned, then common law (Company Law for incorporated bodies) will be the standard, which is 10% of the members. You need to get a couple of the other committee members to back you up, if the chairman is ignoring you. The secretary is then obliged to convene a meeting, circulate notice of it to all voting members, and within X no. of days.

I'd suggest an additional resolution of no confidence in the chairman.

Stu,

I think your on the right track, I've been told this advice before. I've also been told by a councillor it should be a police matter as any transactions that go through the accounts without my authorization are tantamount to a misuse of public funds. I've been after the accounts for years as a resident, found discrepancies, had a treasurer resign in the past as they were also barred from seeing the accounts after 6 months of asking and now the same is happening to me.

I asked them politely to not treat me the same way and thats when i got accused of being on a mission. I phoned them after the first and only meeting i was invited to was cancelled without letting me know and was harangued down the phone after calling them to find out why?

I think i immediately need to follow your advice

You are 100% correct to be concerned especially with such a Role as Treasurer and the action you are taking is not only to protect yourself in your Role, the Residents Association and the Council.

Something else to ask:

When were the Resident Association Accounts Last Audited and by Who?

Where is the Copy of the Resident Associations Accounts at the (relevant Council Office) as any Service User is entitled to ask to see these Accounts?

Why is (Resident Association Member XXXX) refusing to Handover the Residents Associations Accounts to the Treasurer?

Where does the Residents Association receive it Funding from? (How much and from Who?)

Are the Resident Associations Funders aware that the Treasurer does not have access to its Accounts?

Before you took on the Role of Treasurer who was dealing with the Residents Associations Accounts?

Without the Accounts is the Residents Association Solvent?

Edited by stu007

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

I agree with all posters so far : by becoming Treasurer you take on a 'fiduciary duty'

That duty involves knowing the current state of finances (so you are entitled to the accounts), as well as refusing any disbursements until you are satisfied that

a) the organisation is solvent and can meet that payment, and

b) the payment is for a purpose that is legitimate and appropriate.

Write again to the Chair and previous Treasurer, copied to the Council (Chief Exec and CFO).

Stress that you aren't "on a mission", but only wanting to discharge the duties of the post you have been elected to.

Point out the timescales over which you have been asking for the accounts, which is why you aren't being unreasonable, that if "the accounts are in a mess" you'd like to help get them resolved, and that whilst you aren't suggesting there has been any fraud, that the behaviour in not providing accounts (especially if a previous Treasurer faced the same) might lead some reasonably minded people to begin suspecting it, so it is in everyone's best interest to get this resolved.

Have they made you an obligatory signatory to any bank account(s)? Have you statements for those account(s)?

From your description my first thoughts are that there had been either fraud or incompetence (or both).

If a previous Treasurer resigned after 6 months of asking for the accounts with no success : what will you change to prevent the same re-occurring?.

I'd start "softly, softly", but keeping the Council aware / informed, in case the situation is salvageable, but at some point would you

a) call the Special Meeting to get the lack of accounts "out in the open"

b) insist the Council act or go to the Press?

Keep copies of all correspondence.

Again : do you know which bank holds the association's bank account(s).

Are you now a signatory to the account? (It would be a very odd thing for a treasurer not to be?)

Are you an obligatory signatory to the account?

( can transactions below a certain amount be authorised by one person? Two signatories? Does one of the signatures have to be yours?)

Likewise, for larger sums : must you be a signatory to authorise it?

Have you seen bank statements?

As Conniff has said : e-mail shows you sent an e-mail but doesn't show it was received like a recorded delivery letter (unless you have "read receipts" or they have replied quoting your e-mail !)

Hi feck

Could you please keep us updated on this as it is a serious matter and if you need further advice just pop back and ask away

• 3 weeks later...

Hi feck

Just fought id pop in to see how you are getting on with this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi stu007

Cannot believe that I'm still not seeing any financial related stuff, no accounts, no bank accounts, no signatory on the bank accounts either. The fact is the TRA are either meeting behind my back or not meeting at all, and all I've got in the last 4 months is hassle. The council refuse to intervene because they claim the TRA is independent. So at this juncture I dont know what to do. I've thought about legally approaching this through the courts but dont know what instrument I would need to apply for?

All i want as the residents representative as treasurer is to have the accounts in my possession, be the main signatory on the bank account and to be informed of any and all transactions. Not too much to ask.

I recieve no correspondence from them until today telling me the next meeting will be in a month. I've not been made aware of any meetings since i got voted in as treasurer 4 months ago and the only emails i recieve are quite hostile.

Can someone please help

Hi stu007

Cannot believe that I'm still not seeing any financial related stuff, no accounts, no bank accounts, no signatory on the bank accounts either. The fact is the TRA are either meeting behind my back or not meeting at all, and all I've got in the last 4 months is hassle. The council refuse to intervene because they claim the TRA is independent. So at this juncture I dont know what to do. I've thought about legally approaching this through the courts but dont know what instrument I would need to apply for?

All i want as the residents representative as treasurer is to have the accounts in my possession, be the main signatory on the bank account and to be informed of any and all transactions. Not too much to ask.

I recieve no correspondence from them until today telling me the next meeting will be in a month. I've not been made aware of any meetings since i got voted in as treasurer 4 months ago and the only emails i recieve are quite hostile.

Can someone please help

Local press? 4 months is plenty long enough.

"Treasurer of Residents Association prevented from seeing accounts, and from being a signatory on bank account"

"We spoke to a previous Treasurer who said they resigned after x months after also being denied access"

"Some residents now calling for a Special Meeting "

Get this out in the light of day!.

If the council won't take action (& they might once the councillors & council officers start getting asked questions by the Press), the affected residents might, when they start reading about it?

This is shocking and as treasurer at present you cannot fulfill your role.

At the next meeting you need to raise this and ensure it gets minuted and you get a copy

Also as BazzaS suggests.

Does the Residents Association have its own website? (dont put it on here)

Hi

Right you are the Treasurer for a Residents Association of which Landlord?

Do you have copies of your Role as Treasurer of RA and access to its policies?

Who funds the Residents Association?

Do you have a copy of the Resident Association Consitution?

At the meeting does the Residents Association minute the meetings?

Where are copies of the minutes held for Residents to view?

Does the Residents Association have its own website?

Edited by stu007