• Tweets

• Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Here's a laugh, Swinton and their heavy-handed approach

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cancelled my car insurance on 23rd August as I'd scrapped my car. They said 'fine, we'll sort that for you."

I then cancelled my direct debit. They sent me a confirmation letter, dated 23rd Aug, saying that my new payment plan will be £12.86 per month starting on 1 Oct. What on earth for???

I then get another letter dated 2nd Sept stating:

"We have not received all of the necessary direct debit payments. You are therefore in breach of your credit agreement. Our bank has notified us that the payment due on the 1st Sept of £12.93 has not been made".

This is followed the serving of a default notice for 16th Sept. and another fee of £12

Apart from telling me that the the direct debit will be changed starting 1st Oct, there has been no warnings at all, and there certainly was no mention of a payment due on the 1st Sept. The last payment I made was 1st August which would've covered me for the whole of August. In fact, they should owe me for the 8 days I had already paid for when I was no longer covered.

You would only have to continue paying the monthly payments, if you had made a claim on the policy or they were allowing relevant cancellation charges to be paid monthly. These days when you cancel a policy mid-term, you have pay short-term rates and a cancellation charge. They should have told you about this and have provided you with details in writing.

You need to make a complaint in writing using the Swinton complaints process. These are the details.

Please contact our Customer Assistance Team:

• In writing to Swinton, Swinton House, 6 Great Marlborough Street, Manchester M1 5SW.
  • By telephone - call 0845 168 3676 or fax 0161 236 7102.

Don't be surprised if it takes some time to resolve. Swinton are not really known for customer service.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've written this to send to the local branch:

--

I cancelled my motor insurance policy with you on 23rd August 2010. Two days later I received a letter stating that my new Direct Debit payments due from 1st October 2010 were to be £12.86. You also state that "Any payments due before this date will still be collected as previously advised". I'm not entirely sure what these payments are for and furthermore, have not been advised of any payments

Today, I received a letter from you dated 2 September 2010 stating that the payment due on 1st September was not paid and that you will be serving a default notice on 16th September. In your letter of 23rd August you state: "Any payments due before this date will still be collected as previously advised." In effect you are intending to serve a default notice on a payment I have not been requested to pay nor have I been 'previously advised'. If this is the case, and it does appear to be, then you are strongly advised to rescind this default notice.

--

Waste of time dealing with your local branch. They won't deal with it and they might not even pass it on. They are there to sell Insurance, not for customer service.

Send any complaint to their Head Office complaints team.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Funnily enough, I'm in the exact same boat but for £6.21. I received my default notice today. I cancelled after 3 weeks because they failed to put my details on the motor inurance database causing me to stopped by the police three times - unacceptable in my view. I also cancelled my credit agreememt within the timelimit on a letter they sent to me (5 days) so I don't even think I was a signatory to a credit agreement.

In any case, will be calling them on Monday!

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a letter saying that if I do not resolve my defaulted payment of £114.95 (not sure where this new figure has come from), they will charge it to my debit card. Now, I gave them my card details in May for the deposit and this is the card they threaten to charge to.

I intend to write to them and revoke the permission to use those card details further though I suspect they will anyway.

If they do charge to the card without my express permission, does this constitute a criminal act, and if so which law does it cover? I think it is either the Theft Act of 1968 or the Fraud Act of 2006.

Any ideas?

If you took away the authority, it would actually be theft, but I doubt the Police would want to get involved.

Suggest that you phone their Customer Assistance team mentioned in my earlier post.

Write to your bank explaining that your contract with them has finished and they are not allowed to take any payments from XXX date. Include the evidence you finsihed the contract with them.

When they try and fail (or it happens) you can then hammer both Swinton and the bank.

They replied, sending a document headed

"Credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974' and thus containing all the T&Cs including the payments etc. There isn't even a place to sign, let alone a signature. They have still gone ahead and charged my card regardless which then leaves my account overdrawn by a couple of quid. On top of this, I still have a couple of direct debits to be paid this month which may or may not bounce because of this, which A&L will charge me £25 for the privilege.

Now to write back to Swinton demanding they reimburse me plus any consequent charges incurred.

Now to write back to Swinton demanding they reimburse me plus any consequent charges incurred.

If I were you, I would get Trading Standards involved or the FOS or both.

If you give Trading Standards and the FOS a call, they might be willing to intervene on your behalf and get it sorted quickly. Some people think the FOS will only get involved after 8 weeks of complaining to an organisation. These days they actually often like to stop a a complaint to them being generated, by intervening at an earlier stage.

What Swintons have done is bordering on the illegal.

Contact TS via Consumer Direct. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

THanks for your quick reply. :)

Looking through the terms that they sent it does say

"Where we hold your debit card details you irrevocably authorise us to charge to such card any sum due etc etc"

Is this not against my statutory rights? Althought I was insured for a couple of months, the credit agreement was not signed but it still does contain my name, adress and monthly payments so was it enforceable?

Yes I believe to contain terms to say, the payment authority is irrevocable is not compliant with either 'unfair contract term' rules or the FSA's rules.

Suggest that you check with Trading Standards and the FOS. If you phone them, they should be able to find out for you and if not correct, assist with this.

I called my bank also, and they said they can put me through to the fraud department, but I said I'll find out what Swinton are playing at first. If it turns out that Swinton have tried to get away with charging me something I don't owe, then fraud is what I shall throw at them.

As they charged me regardless, and that the agreement they sent was not signed, I'm going to send them this.

I received your letter this morning containing a 'credit agreement'. This is not the document I requested. The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 1974 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. Nor does it contain a total sum to be paid by the debtor as defined in S77(1)(a) of CCA 1974. You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on 19th September. Section 77(4) of CCA 1974 now applies yet you have breached this by charging £114.95 to my debit card.

This is a formal demand for the refund of that amount. I will give you 14 days to reply accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date, given a reasonable time period, by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action, giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Most companies don't issue the credit agreements for you to sign and send back. They are sent you for you to sign, if you want to be bound by the CCA. If you never signed the form, you are not bound by the CCA and therefore, it is simply a case of the normal policy t&c's applying i.e normal contractural terms.

Personally, I would write to them to advise them that you have been in contact with your bank and have been advised that the payment could be considered fraudulent. This is because the right to collect the money was withdrawn by you, so no authority was held by Swintons to collect the money. If they do not refund the money within the next 7 days, you will have no alternative, but to report this fraudulent behaviour more formally and may also take legal action through the courts to recover the money.

I have been led to believe by people that work for Swintons, that the payment collection process was outsourced and that they are having loads of problems.

Edited by unclebulgaria67

So are you saying that once you agree to pay by debit/credit card, if the agreement allows for continuous payment, that under section 7, you cannot cancel a payment, even before it is processed.

Were you aware that you could not stop any future payment, at the time you arranged payment ? I think they should have told you this at the time.

I do not like contiuous payment authorities and if this is what you are saying, this just confirms, why I would not make regular payments by debit/credit card. If you had gone for direct debit, you could have cancelled the authority at the bank.

I had fun and games with Swinton myself,but did end up getting a refund of charges back.

Their complaints procedure is pretty enduring and goes through different levels.

I told them I was taking it up with the FOS-and they settled.

Before taking it up with TS you will need a good papertrail-and they will want to see that Swinton have failed to resolve.

Heres my story

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?188013-Swinton-Insurance-Result&highlight=martin3030+swinton+insurance

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

This does not sound right at all. I thought is was only dodgy companies abroad that did this. The ones that sell miracle tea that helps you loose weight.

You only gave permission for the debit card to be used for the deposit, so there was no continuous payment authority provided for this card.

They CANNOT debit your account using the card, for the payments that would have been covered by the Direct Debit payments.

Have you spoken to Consumer Direct about this, explaining what Swinton have done. I would be very surprised (shocked even) if they said this was acceptable. They should get Trading Standards involved.

They're hiding behind the "you give us irrecovable permission to debit your card for any outstanding money owed."

As I said, I paid the deposit on my card and then set up a direct debit to pay the rest. When I cancelled my insurance, I also cancelled my direct debit. They then wrote back saying I owe the frankly arbitrary sum of £115 and that they were going to charge it to my card in 7 days. I wrote back saying don't bother, and they did anyway.

Hence why I'm going to chase them for it back with a quite alarming number of arguments in my favour.

• 1 month later...

ok thanks for update.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.