• Tweets

• Thanks FTMDave, I like the cut of your jib - I'll go with that and obtain proof of postage. Encouraging that NPE have never followed through and seem to blowing hot air, let's see where they go after this   Regards
    • Please see my comments in orange within your post.
    • no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.   House or Flat? Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Again, points as above. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) Why serve a delapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease. I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to buy the freehold of the property. It's normal, whether it is a "normal" leaseholder or a repossession with a leasehold house, to claim this right of enfranchisement and sell the property with said rights attached and the purchase price of the freehold included in the final completion price. That's likely what the mortgage provider wished to do. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at? Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. So this is dealt with then. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.  You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension. You'd need a Deed of Variation for that. This may be done at the same time but the lease has already been extended once and that's all they have a right to. The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved. The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there. Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please Advice - Midway Parks ( Birmingham - Ellis Street)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last weekend I attended my friend’s weddings at a hotel (Ramada - Commercial Street). I knew that the hotel does not have any parking facilities prior to my booking. I was quite certain that I would be able to find some parking facilities that might be able to accommodate my 2 days stay in Birmingham.

I arrived at the hotel at 1938hrs (with my on hazard-light on) & checked in. After putting our bags in the room, I next went to search for parking spaces which were mostly occupied. I finally saw a carpark which displays 7am - 7pm.

As I knew the parking times for the public-carparks were mostly from 8am - 6pm. I instantly knew that it was a private-carpark. I parked my car in one of the bays (there were other cars parked there too), as I have the habit to check on the cars nearby whether they have displayed any tickets, I did that on some of the cars along the way to the designated parking machine - there it state "All Day" (12 Hours) - 3.00. As I knew that 7am - 7 pm is 12 hours & it was about 1958hrs, I did not buy any ticket.

I walked to the hotel wtih contentment that I have found a carpark that was really cheap & nearby. At wee morning hours of around 0230 hrs, most of the cars in the public-carpark were gone. As I decided to wakeup slightly later at 7am, I went back to my car and drove it to "Commercial Street" & parked it there. So far everything was normal. I went back to my room & slept. The next day at 0800hrs I went to the car & I love the idea of my car being within the vicinity & went to the ticket machine to look at their timing & charging. I found out that it only offers a maximum of 4hours for £2.50. Like most public carparks, it offers free parking on Sunday.

So I decided to park my car after 6pm as I drove towards the private-carpark. I parked my car at a bay and bought a ticket for £3.00. It was written in French – (FIN DE STATIONNEMENT – DATE - HEURE), as I lived in France for 3 years, I knew it states that End of Authorized Parking (19/09/09 00:00 –Su). I checked for the price printed as “PRIX” – 3. So everything was fine, I displayed it and locked my doors and went back to the hotel to have my breakfast.

The day went very joyously & we all had fun. At around 5pm, I walked along commercial road to look for a vacant spot, (It was not to be, I guess, if not I would not be writing this lengthy thread). At around 0030 hrs, I walked to my car only to find it missing. My instant thought was that it was stolen and I walked around the vicinity to see whether I could spot it. I went back to the hotel to tell the news to my wife. All our friends have left or asleep. As the bride was our best friend & it was her day we decided not to inform them. I search online for a non emergency number to report my “stolen” vehicle. I was more worried for the number of the unsolicited act performed by the joy-rider or criminals for which I might be held accountable or suspected for.

I called the police & they took my details including my vehicle registration number. I received the called back from the police after about 30 mins, stating that it was towed by Midway Parks – Tel no: 0121 333 6007 and they would be open 11am. I told them that it was a carpark that operates between 7am – 7pm as I had parked my car on Friday night there without a ticket and parked there this morning at 0812 hrs & displayed my ticket visibly. They seemed to just inform me not help me & told me to talk to Midway Parks personally. I could not believe what I have got into.

I walk back to the carpark. The first thing I noticed is that “7” in 7am – 7pm was gone and left with just am – pm.

I instantly knew that I was in for a big [problem]. The whole night or rather wee morning, I was searching the internet about them & their tactics & how they have even taken a car displaying a disability badge & making a 18 year old Cambridgeshire girl stranded in the night of the notorious Birmingham City. As usual my wife who cannot wait to hear from them pestered me to call them while I was sleeping since 11am.

I took my time & finally called them at round 1145 hrs, there was a guy answering the phone & told me that my ticket had expired at 10-45 pm yesterday. I don’t want to tell him what I knew as they are holding the evidence (my ticket). So I played the ignorance card & told them that I thought that it was free after 7pm. He answered back “AM & PM”, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO BUY TICKETS ALL TIME. YOURS EXPRIRED AT 1045PM & YOU HAVE TO PAY 390 POUNDS TO GET YOUR CAR BACK. I told him that’s a little bit steep considering I have only exceeded a couple of hours. He told RULES ARE RULES, 'yeah what rules are you talking about'(I was thinking a the back of my mind). As I wanted to see my car, I just played along & he gave me the address.

I took a cab there & there was a guy (black) who was at the gates at his side. He asked me what’s my registration & asked me for 390 POUNDS, his voice(pounding…that same one in the telephone). I told him "Don’t you want me to at least invite me to your office rather than talking at the gates". Here there was a huge guy & me, a tiny one, what’s he got to fear. He says pay cash & than you have your car. I told him that I don’t have that amount of cash at this time of the month & offered him a credit card payment instead. As I have expected he only deals with cash only, like a drug runner.

I said to him that there might be a mistake in my case & ask him to verify my ticket. He said they don’t make mistakes. I ask if I can take a look at the car myself, to which he says NO. I asked for a notice stating the offense & payment demanded. He did not seem to notice my pleas & said that he is just doing his job & they don’t do such thing. He says an invoice will be given to me upon my payments.

Does he think I care about the invoice? I care about only my hard earned cash. While I was talking, there was a woman who came there on a Toyota RAV with handful of cash & told me that its useless to even talk to these guys. She handed her money & he open the gates, she went in & drove off, passing the gates & shouting all the explicits & condemning the guy. I went back to the hotel to make a decision. I knew it was a [problem], for all I know that woman might be part of the gang too, I don’t care. I made a call to the counsel non emergency number. They immediately identitify the company, without me having to tell them. Her advice is to pay them the money & get my car. I asked them whether they could bring me to court or send a bailiff to me demanding exorbitant fees. She says no & says the most I will loose is my car. She told me to write to them & post my vehicle V05 document to them. I was petrified as I knew that I cannot hand a vehicle V05 document unless I have got a new owners signature on it & post it myself to DVLA. But I was quite happy to hear that I only got my vehicle to loose. As I was on the train to Manchester, I was very sad & was disbelieved that such a thing could happen in modern England.

Sorry for such a lengthy story, now can anybody help me with the following queries?

How can I get back my car?

Will I have to pay more than 390 + no of days in storage(£40) in future?

Will I get PCNs for offenses that I did not commit as of 20/09/09?

Will my information be available to Midway Parks?

If they can have access to the vehicle towed database, can they delete it & commit illicit activities and abandon the car? (As of now I don’t have any proof that my car had been compounded, all I have is a verbal communication with the police that it had been towed by Midway Parks)

Any help that get me start would be appreciated.

Edited by suears
Change the title

As they have your car, your only real choice is to pay up and attempt recovery in the courts.

If you can rip the gates off their compound and recover your car that way then go for it, but I would suspect that you are likely to be met with violence.

Have a read of the clamping guide in the stickies.

If you decide you have a case then you should sue both the landowner and the company. Clamping companies have a habit of phoenixing whereas landowners have something tangible that can be distressed for debt (i.e. the land).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that the company only deal with cash, and I can never get this money back. From what I had seen in the reports of others who had successfully won a court battle is they only won in papers. Midways fail to pay them and they make sure their office don't have any thing in value. There are a people who paid £60 for the services of a bailiff and got nothing.

I post the following for information only, although i personally would have the utmost sympathy if you were tempted to copy this woman, given the complete absence of reasonable alternatives (given that Midway ignore all CCJs):

Mum breaks in to compound to retrieve car from Croydon clampers

Posters on another forum suggested it might be legitimate self-help to break in to retrieve your car if the towing and release fee demand were unlawful, and the clamping company also had a track record of ignoring CCJs, [due to lack of any reasonable alternative] but I very much doubt the police would see it that way. (The police are, disgracefully, always on the clampers side, regardless of the criminal offences they might commit).

I wish if only I was only half the man I used to be. I am a disabled person who doesn't claim a single pence from the goverment. I refused to claim any benefits as I want to desperately get back to a normal life. I am even entitled for a disabled badge which I also didn't apply for. I just want to be normal again. After a stroke during an operation and numerous operations later, I am able to pick up the pieces I left behind. I bought the car as a first step to get back to normal life. I can't work at present as I still have an other operation(major) in the bag. But I have my mobility and can be independent now. I thank god for what I am now. I use the car mainly to travel to my hospital appointments & my personal needs. Now I have to fork out £20 pounds (8 miles) for the taxi on this Thursday for a pre-op appointment. I can't get the ambulance service as the appointment is at 0800 hrs. This things happen and I just have to live with it, I guess. Now, I can only envy the mum who did that, I doubt anyone can do the same feat to Midway Parks as their premise is like a military compound. They have a main gate and another gate inside where they parked the immobilsed cars. I can't foresee any such possibilities. As I have walk around their compound, they have a panel fence. If they have a wired fence I could attempt to cut the wires with a standard cutter. Their main gate has a 2 inch high combusted steel chain with the locks facing inwards. I have not observed their premises during the night or early hours. I am certain that the premise in on guard 24hrs. I don't care about the car now, I wish I can only gain access to my car to take my most cherished property, my beret during my military service. I earned that beret through some extreme physical & mental endurance exercises at one phase of my small life. Next I would certainly set a timer to trigger fire to the car & walk back to my friend's car and watch the chaios with a sniff of my cigarette with contentment. What do you think about it?

Edited by suears

Can anybody tell me what will happen next? What happens when they got my car & I did not even write to them or contact them? I am prepared to loose my car. Can I writeoff the car. Can change the ownership of the car?

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry to hear about that suears. Sounds like there are some pretty nasty clampers out there... Midway sounds to be one of the worst I've heard of.

I've also heard CPS to be a terrible company but not sure if they operate in that area...

Our local clampers sound nothing like the horrors that other areas seem to have, National Clamps sounds like angels compared. National Clamps wheel clamping only charge £80 for a release, nothing compared to £390 rising by £40 a day?!?!

• 1 year later...

My car has been towed away today by Midway parks. I was told by the operator that my ticket displayed was not clear therefore they've towed and stored it in there compound. I park in the carpark on a daily basis and I am positive I checked my screen before leaving the carpark. I am assuming that they tilted my car so the tickets facing the other way. I called and was asked to pay £350 in cash! when I argued it went up to £375. I told the operator I will be taking it to court and was told that I won't be receiving a receipt once the car fee is payed. I went 5min left to 6pm and the compound was closed when the operator told me there open. I am going tom for the realease of my vehicle. I need help! please advice

Is this the infamous pop-up carpark that Midway themselves own? If so, you may be in trouble as sueing them is pointless, and there is no landowner to pursue as Principle. Trading STandards however are well aware of these people, and it may be useful for you to contact them.

I've paid £410 for the release of my vehicle and my bonnet is dented. They were so rude and abrupt, I have been advised to take it to small claims court for a settlement.

Thanks for the advice, I will be contacting trading standards and I am aware that theres not law that governs private clamping companies, I'm dissappointed!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am a newbie in desperate need for help.

Had parked my car at Cecil street (Birmingham) and found my car missing while I was back from work. I am very much sure that I paid and displayed properly the daily fare of £2.00. I have not been able to contact them over phone as they are not answering (supposed to be working until 18:00). I got their details from Police who confirmed that the car is with them. Went to their property and I see the locked steel gates as exactly seen on may web pages.

I am expecting to go there at 11:00 tomorrow. From reading all of the above, I expect a black guy to be in the office and they would ask me £400.00 irrespective of whether I had pad or not.

The first phone call to Police seemed most useless call I made today. Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks

Hi,

There's nothing you could apart from paying £400 or above (in cash), they won't accept cards. Theres no law that governs private clampers. I have put a claim through small claims court, haven't had anything back yet but do keep your £2.00 ticket/receipts safe if your looking to put a claim in. Try not to challenge midway parks because they'l end up damaging your vehicle or might demand double money for releasing your vehicle.

Sorry

Hope this helps