LloydsTSB Bank paid money (£1025) in then took it from my account without my consent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

LloydsTSB Bank paid money (£1025) in then took it from my account without my consent is this legal?

If not what do I do about getting the money returned to my account?

Between the paying it in and taking it out I had tranfered it to other accounts of mine and so when they took it out it took the account into DR (Debit).

Thanks, Tyni

• 3 weeks later...

It was a payment in error, but I took the money out before they took it back. Even though I thought once money goes into your account regardless if it was a payment in error, they cannot take it back. Especially if it was already withdrawn.?

Guest NATTIE

If it isn't your money the bank can take it back if 1) the payment is recalled same day or day after or 2) in writing if unable to contact you to give you 7 days warning that it will be debited.

If it's not your money, why the hell shouldn't the bank take it back? I can't believe i am reading this or that people can actually think it's ok to take what isn't theirs and then talk openly about it, even asking for advice, like it's fine. Jeez what is the world coming to.:confused:

You don't understand its like they give you something, you take it into your home, they walk in and take it back off you. without even asking you if they can come into your home.

I can't believe I'm reading this either. If the bank mistakenly took money from your account, would you seriously expect them to be able to keep it:o

"You don't understand its like they give you something, you take it into your home, they walk in and take it back off you. without even asking you if they can come into your home." ..... You must be joking, right??:?

THE MONEY WAS NOT YOURS - TO TAKE IT (MOVE IT TO ANOTHER ACCOUNT) IS STEALING !!

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

The Consumer Action Group

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

It wasn't your money to take to start with! I can't believe you don't see any wrong in what you did. What you tried to do was theft basically and i imagine the banks would see it the same way.

It's ok to ask about help for things like the bank charges etc, because they are unlawful, but to ask someone to give you supporting advice on this matter on here, is like asking them to condone what you did.

I have nt taken any action on this matter. What ****es me off is that they don't respect you consumer rights. They **** about with your account as they wish. Anyone can put money into your account, the bank or anyone at all. BUT NO ONE is allowed to take money from your account WITHOUT your CONSENT.

What consumer rights? In this respect, you're not a consumer!

"BUT NO ONE is allowed to take money from your account WITHOUT your CONSENT."

You are not allowed to take money from your account that you know not to be yours.!!!!!

You say the payment was in error and you took the money out before they could take it back. Why did you do this? The thought of making a quick buck ?! I find that shocking.

I'm sure this thread is a wind-up:|

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

Calm down peeps. Same thing happened to me when Halifax refunded me (they paid me twice!)and yes it irked me (even though I knew the money wasn't mine so left it where it was :))

I'm sure ttaisia wasn't intent on keeping the cash.... the initial gut feeling is how bloody dare they and the temptation is there to withdraw.

It will be interesting to see if you get a charge caused my going overdrawn when they took the cash back out!

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Calm down peeps. Same thing happened to me when Halifax refunded me (they paid me twice!)and yes it irked me (even though I knew the money wasn't mine so left it where it was :))

I'm sure ttaisia wasn't intent on keeping the cash.... the initial gut feeling is how bloody dare they and the temptation is there to withdraw.

It will be interesting to see if you get a charge caused my going overdrawn when they took the cash back out!

I don't need to calm down because I'm not worked up:rolleyes:

I was just trying to understand how ttasia couldn't see that they had no right to this money. If they were not intending to try and keep the money why ... "If not what do I do about getting the money returned to my account? Between the paying it in and taking it out I had tranfered it to other accounts of mine and so when they took it out it took the account into DR (Debit)." :?

Easy, just transfer it back from the "other accounts" - unless of course they've spent it !

I have nt taken any action on this matter. What ****es me off is that they don't respect you consumer rights. They **** about with your account as they wish. Anyone can put money into your account, the bank or anyone at all. BUT NO ONE is allowed to take money from your account WITHOUT your CONSENT.

It. Wasn't. Your. Money.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Natwest mistakenly credited my account with £10,000 instead of the £1,000 I had actually paid in - it was of course taken out almost immediately and the correct amount credited. At no point did I consider the £10k to be mine - if anything, it shows that the bank staff can make a mistake just like anybody else.

Taking the £10k would have been theft. No argument.

I too once had money paid into my account that was deposited by mistake by the banks. It was somebody elses weekly wage, (just over £300) not even someone from the same works as me either. So i informed the bank straight away, they thanked me loads and took it out immediately. I could of just said nothing and spent it, but i have morals and i am not thief. At the end of the day that was someone elses money and they more than likely relied on to pay bills and feed their family. I couldn't have lived with myself if i'd taken it.

ttaisia, that money you had put in your account by mistake might have been somebody elses salary have you thought of that?

Firstly you really need to read the FAQ's on this site so you know the process inside out. It is really important you do this reading up, so you know exactly what your getting into.

Then look for the forum on here that deals with the same bank as yours, Halifax etc. Have a good read of the stories of other people who are going through the process with the same bank as you, so you can get more of an insight as to what hurdles people have come up against. Finally the forum to do with your bank will have all the address's to write to with regards your DPA request and any other further letters you need to send.

Hope that helps.:)

Sadie can you start your own thread please in your banks forum

then read the FAQ's and step by step guide , you will find all the letters you need in the libary :D

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.