walton v rbos

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So sorry to read this Paul. I hope you do appeal it, as it seems entirely wrong that the skeleton defence was given to you 10 minutes before the case was heard, so you could not examine it and prepare more thoroughly. It seems to me the judge made up his mind it would end that day, and nothing would move him from that. At least he had the decency not to allow the costs.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with caro & hope you will appeal it as the judgement was not only perverse but it was also grossly unfair to allow a defence argument to be submitted moments before trial

Can you confirm the name of the judge?

It does appear that some but not all are riding roughshod over the rights of litigants in person whom they must assume are acting both alone & without support. Thereby the courts conduct will not be a matter for wider discussion.

Whilst we can in no way influence the courts I do consider it might be a good idea to mention in the POC that the claimant/defendant is a member of this group. This may cause some courts to feel less inclined to ride roughshod over 'litigants in person' knowing that their conduct is going to be picked over in some detail.............any comments

I am considering appealing. To have the new defence and cases relied on submitted just before the hearing was surely wrong, and i'm going to spend some time reading.

The judge did not like the fact a ccj was in question, the way i got round this was explaining that through the running of the account the defendant was unjustly enriched on a monthly basis, ie, when the account was in debit after a payment of salary.

If the defence had been forwarded has insructed by the court order the outcome may have been totaly different.

Yes i know the judges name.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

this is a very complicated thread i am sure you will agree

paulwlton - can you, in simple terms explain the EXACT reason for the strike out, so other claimants can make sure that we can minimise the risk of being struck out?

it seems the judge penalised you for not realising that the charges are unlawful, but how are you supposed to know that? we expect our banks to act lawfully, no?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

this is a very complicated thread i am sure you will agree

paulwlton - can you, in simple terms explain the EXACT reason for the strike out, so other claimants can make sure that we can minimize the risk of being struck out?

it seems the judge penalized you for not realizing that the charges are unlawful, but how are you supposed to know that? we expect our banks to act lawfully, no?

The defence made it clear to the judge that the hearing wasn't to determine that the charges were unlawful, it was the fact that i had waited 8 years to start proceedings, the defence argument was that the charges should have been questioned at the time, and by not doing so should invoke the doctrine of laches.

To date no bank has had their charges judged unlawful in court. I don't think this is likely to happen.

As a layperson it's difficult to know how to proceed from here, but an Application for a rehearing could be made under order CCR 37.

Paul.

Winston Churchill

cant you say that, you were only made aware that the charges are unlawful in April 2006 (OFT report)?

also do you have any correspondance from the banks that state that the charges are not unlawful (i have from mine)? if you have, my opinion would be that you have challenged the lawfullness of the charges, only to be told that the bank isnt acting unlawfully - surely this would hold some weight?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

paul, have you seen this interesting post by millymolly regards some research she has done on statute of limitations?

I like Molly's reference to section 61, and I also like section 52.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-491940.html

Best Regards

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Paul are you considering an appeal on the basis that the documents weren't submitted to you before the hearing?

Yes but it wouldn't be an appeal as such, i would be asking for a rehearing.

Winston Churchill

cant you say that, you were only made aware that the charges are unlawful in April 2006 (OFT report)?

also do you have any correspondance from the banks that state that the charges are not unlawful (i have from mine)? if you have, my opinion would be that you have challenged the lawfullness of the charges, only to be told that the bank isnt acting unlawfully - surely this would hold some weight?

I stated my course of action was April 2006,

Like i've said the hearing wasn't to judge that the charges were lawful, and yes i have the banks letters stating that their charges are fair and reasonable. Even if the charges were ruled unlawful the defence will still pleed laches.

Winston Churchill

great stuff. does it make a difference?

out of curiosity did the judge have anything to say at the hearing about them springing this on you?

paul, have you seen this interesting post by millymolly regards some research she has done on statute of limitations?

I like Molly's reference to section 61, and I also like section 52.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-491940.html

Best Regards

This would have been one of many responses to their defence, the current law on Limitation also states that not revealing is concealment, i refered to this in court.

Winston Churchill

Even if the charges were ruled unlawful the defence will still pleed latches.

this is interesting re. laches taken from a google search -admin.bardirectory.org/files/articles/16/laches.article.pdf

edit I'll try again - not sure if I duplicated that cut and paste - seemed a bit long!

bong this in simple terms is what the judge went on.

(1) Laches

9.14 The equitable doctrine of laches allows a defendant a defence where, because of

the delay by the plaintiff in asserting his rights,39 it would be unjust to allow the plaintiff a remedy.

Winston Churchill

Time Limits in Equity

The doctrine of laches does not apply where the law provides a limitation period. In that

event the claimant has the full period within which to launch proceedings. The defence of

laches is normally relevant, therefore, in two distinct situations. First, where the cause of

action arises at common law but equity affords a particular remedy, such as specific

performance, which is not available at common law. In these circumstances, the claimant will

lose his remedy if he delays unreasonably and fails to act promptly, often within a matter of

days or weeks. Secondly, laches may also be a defence where the cause of action arises

exclusively in equity and no statutory limitation period applies to the cause of action, e.g.

where the claimant seeks to set aside a transaction for undue influence, mistake or fraud.

Relief may also be refused in these circumstances on grounds of delay. But in these

circumstances the critical question is usually whether the claimant acted promptly after

becoming aware of his or her legal rights. If the claimant was ignorant of his or her right to

bring proceedings until years after the event, e.g. because he or she remained under the

influence of the wrongdoer or was wholly ignorant of the facts giving rise to the claim, the

claimant may not be barred from seeking relief, even years after the event

(1) Laches

9.14 The equitable doctrine of laches allows a defendant a defence where, because of

the delay by the plaintiff in asserting his rights,39 it would be unjust to allow the plaintiff a remedy.

Its looking likely the judge in my case will be ruling in the same way,as i have just got a letter today asking why i believe it should not be statue barred after quoting section 32 within my submission.

The judge has given me 7days to sumbit further details.

Any advise would be welcome

Bong forgive me... are you saying that this Laches can be challanged and if so would you suggest i get that one in before the judge rules

Ron

Paul

If you havent looked in here for a while i would suggest this link http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/3598-do-you-have-charges-30.html#post499917

If i have read it correctly this sorts out sec 32.1.c

HTH

Glenn

PS if ive got it wrong then please let me know.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA