Bailiffs coming round but the debts not mine - Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can somebody explain what I need to do as I am in a situation that is quite worrying.

Me and my partner moved into our home just over a year ago. We bought the house off Mr & Mrs H (don't want to mention anybodies names).

Until recently we have received junk mail for Mr & Mrs H which is fine. However, since we moved in we have received letters for 5 different names who we don not know and neither do Mr & Mrs H.

We started sending the letters back as from past experience, I recognised them to be some kind of payment request. Over the last year, these letters have continued to come on a regular basis and we just kept returning them.

The other week, I had finally had enough and began to open the letters to find out what was going on.

It turns out they are all debt collection letters that between them amount to around £50,000. In some letters it is stated that the electoral has been checked and these unknown people apparently live at our address.

I have been advised not to call the companies as appaeently if I do it is an admission that they live there as I have opened their post - which I know I shouldn't have done but I have been worrying.

What has also become apparent both from the letters and our neighbours is that bailiffs have been coming round to our address whilst we are at work.

I am terrified as this is not our debt and 5 people appear to be using our address and I'm worried about being blacklisted because of them.

Please can somenody advise me what I need to do.

Thanks

Libbi

If the bailiffs do turn up while you are in..DO NOT LET THEM IN.. Tell them the facts on the doorstep.

Kind Regards

Bigandy

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Quite frankly, i'ld get the police and Trading Standards involved quick smart. Get yourself a crime number if you can from the police. Maybe even knock together a simple trespass and harassment warning to hand to anyone who does call.

And as previously stated don't let anyone in, possibly have moby to hand as a precaution and start calling the police the second that anyone doesn't leave after being asked to do so.

Also, as previously stated, it's an Offence under The Postal Services Act 2000 to open any mail packet that isn't addressed to you, the arguement that it's come through my front doesn't wash.

I'ld also be checking all 3 of my credit reports.

Hope that helps a little and please don't get worked up anymore.

Good luck & best wishes. Regards, Dave.

cag-end-sig.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the help and support.

I've spoken to my neighbours and they are going to log down if any bailiffs come again and also record if possible - me and my partner are usually as work all day so we haven't seen them. If they come round again I'm going to contact the police.

I've also ordered a credit report to see what that has to say.

Once again a big thank you to all. x

A notice of disaccosiation at the CRA's and if the baliffs do turn up then co operate - show passport or whatever - I know the onus is on the collector to prove that the debt is owed but it is much more simple to clear it up when they so obvioulsy are not the debtors.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.