• Tweets

• Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
    • Yes, I believe the Starbucks was closed at the time the car was parked there 
    • hi lolerz many thanks for your reply and help. My 2 months has passed i was waiting until the court proceedings started. As i went through this process not that long ago, i shall look back at my old thread for how to respond. Ill get the docs scanned soon thanks.    
    • Dave, You're probably thinking along the same lines as me. The NTK says "The reason for issuing the charge notice is: Parking longer than allowed" From memory, I think one of their stupid rules is that if 'Bucks is closed, you're not allowed to park at all.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Smoking ban what do you think?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

if 12 million adults smoke cigarettes

there are 60 million people in the UK, of which 82% are aged 16 or over.

82% of 60m is 49.2 million so the percentage of smokers is roughly 25% a quarter of the adult population smoke, so why shouldnt we have a say, why shouldnt there be a choice for us?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that they would all support the right to smoke indoors, i dont smoke indoors, but I do support the right of people to have a choice and the choice has been taken away. Thats what i totally abhor

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

why shouldnt there be a choice for us?

You have plenty of choice:

• Smoke at home
  • Smoke outside
  • Don't smoke

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Does anyone know the percentage in tax on a packet of Cigs?

If there are 12 million smokers and say 3 million stopped, how much is that in lost tax? Goin on the average of buying 20 cigs a day.

Tobacco tax generates approximately £10.5 billion a year for the Exchequer (source ASH) so if 25% of people stopped the Government would lose about £2.7 billion annually.

Considering that smoking related illness costs the NHS about £1.7 billion annually (same source) it is clear that smokers really do contribute to the economy, and so to disenfranchise this group in such a fashion would cost the Government in real terms.

Sure, smoking is unhealthy for more than just smokers, and TBH it is quite an anti-social habit to boot. But then so is drunkenness, and I believe that 70% of NHS resources (both time and money) is accounted for by drunkenness in the Thursday night to Sunday morning period.

No clampdown on drunken behaviour though - we are not talking about alcoholics, who, in the main, whilst addicted to alcohol do not cause all the trouble we see so frequently in the news...

Apart from the demand on the NHS, drunken louts also cause damage to property, assault people, urinate wherever they like, they cause fear and unease in law abiding citizens, they gorge and disgorge fast food and packaging all over the pavement (remember, the manufacture/preparation/cooking of burgers alone contributes enormously to the global carbon footprint)...need I go on...

And of course this culture of drunkenness is perpetuated in the media everyday...as a parent I can make choices about protecting my children from smoke (both mine and that of other smokers) but their minds are continually polluted by the "drinking is cool" message...there is no (realistic) choice I can make, as a parent, to protect them from this garbage...

That is my rant...about the lack of real choice and the perceived lack of choice complained of by non-smokers...:-|

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

So as all the non smokers get there wish and more and more people stop smoking, the goverments income goes down.

So i hope non smokers dont complain when fuel duty goes up again and everything else, to recoup the losses from the lost revenue off smokers.

So i hope non smokers dont complain when fuel duty goes up again and everything else, to recoup the losses from the lost revenue off smokers.

In reality, it will be unlikely to affect non-smokers - as it will be the duty on tobacco which goes up due to people quitting smoking, which in turn will encourage more people to quit, which will then mean the duty on tobacco goes up even more.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

In reality, it will be unlikely to affect non-smokers - as it will be the duty on tobacco which goes up due to people quitting smoking, which in turn will encourage more people to quit, which will then mean the duty on tobacco goes up even more.
...and the logical conclusion is that finally, Dave and I will be the only smokers left, and between us we will be contributing £10.5 billion annually in tobacco duty...

Dave...anyway to make donations compulsory, and then index link them to the tobacco duty rate?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

My dad will never give up, so at least there's three of you to share the cost!

Great, that will save me £1.75 billion annually...probably enough for a holiday or two...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still wondering where all the people who supported the ban are.

They are not going to the pubs around my way as they promised they would.

There was a bloody good band on, on Saturday night, and there were about 5 people watching - this would not have been the scene a few months ago, it would have been packed.

So come on you non-smokers who supported the ban - get down the pub now that you can breath 'fresh air' instead of smoke!!

;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Well I'm just going to pop my two penneth worth in. I gave up 23 days ago, went into a pub recently and didn't even flinch about not being able to smoke. The fact that I couldn't see or smell the evil weed ;) helped me no end and I'm nearly £200 better off.

HFC Bank - First letter claiming £196/LBA sent/£75 offered/rejected/Claim filed

HFC Bank Take 2 - Statements received

A & L - Prelim sent/LBA sent

Barclays (for my Dad) - Awaiting statements/LBA for S.A.R. sent/Statements received/Prelim sent/LBA sent

A & L (for my Son) - Awaiting statements/Statements arrived Prelim letter sent/£280 offered and rejected

Abbey (for my Sister) - ***Won***

Barclays PPI claim

Studio - ***Won***

HSBC - (for my brother-in-law) ***Won*** 8-)

Well done Russjo. My hubbie smokes (has for 25 yrs) but he loves being 'banned' as he didn't have the will power himself.

Is funny actually because if someone walks past that has just had a fag, he can really smell it and thinks it stinks. So happy all round for us :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

I know, it's done me a real favour. Unfortunately, my hubby only lasted 18 days. I lovingly tell him every day when he comes home from work that he stinks and he lovingly tells me back, how proud he is of me eusa_dance.gif

HFC Bank - First letter claiming £196/LBA sent/£75 offered/rejected/Claim filed

HFC Bank Take 2 - Statements received

A & L - Prelim sent/LBA sent

Barclays (for my Dad) - Awaiting statements/LBA for S.A.R. sent/Statements received/Prelim sent/LBA sent

A & L (for my Son) - Awaiting statements/Statements arrived Prelim letter sent/£280 offered and rejected

Abbey (for my Sister) - ***Won***

Barclays PPI claim

Studio - ***Won***

HSBC - (for my brother-in-law) ***Won*** 8-)

I smoke and work in the City (London) and there are very few places that have the space for outdoor tables. Can't smoke outside the building that I work in so have been looking for places at lunchtime.

Went to a pub for lunch yesterday that has got outside seating, (this pub is usually packed inside during lunchtimes but it was empty). BUT half of the outside tables had "No Smoking" labels on them.:mad::(

I'm not a smoker and personaly I never really minded the smoke in pubs. I can understand how the smoking ban has come about and I think it'll do alot of people alot of good.

Unfortunate as it may be for those who do smoke and find facilities are a little sparse. things for you guys i imaginewill improve as public houses, places of employment etc etc get to grips with the whole thing.

here is my message to the smokers: Try to use this oportunity to quit, You'll save money and maybe not too late to save your health.

and my message to my fellow nonsmokers: Enjoy the space and the smoke free pubs.

I feel like Jeramy Kyle!

Good night folks and be good to yourselves and each other! (or is that springer?)

:D

...or should that be, enjoy the empty, smoke free pubs?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

In Cornwall, thanks to the vast acres of undeveloped land, most pubs have ginormous beer gardens...is it any wonder that all the tables are full (of smokers) and the pub itself is practically empty (except for the barmaid, who is desperate to sneak out for a quick fag)

Guess what...there are very few non-smokers in the pubs or beer gardens, even though they have now got their wish to "reclaim" the right to go to pubs without being poisoned...

Hypocrites the lot of them...

Yep - another win for the PC crowd!

Dangerous direction we're heading in if you ask me!

------------

------------

A Blackpool Landlord who persistently allowed his customers to smoke indoors was today sentenced for his crimes.

Hamish Hamilton, 55, was sentenced to 10 years in prison with hard labour for each offence, making a total of 120 years consecutive, with a recommendation that he serve his sentence in a non-smoking prison, and no possibility of parole.

His firm of lawyers, Cutt & Runn, described the sentence as "an outrage" and pledged to fight on for as long as their client's money was available.

"Exactly how magistrates came to this decision is a mystery. We think that a fine might have been the way forward, but clearly there has been some kind of influence here."

ASH, who had urged magistrates to "make an example" of the renegade, were "satisfied" with the verdict. A spokesman said, "This goes to show that ordinary people won't put up with the health hazards from second-hand smoke. There is no excuse for it. We hope that anyone, anywhere in the United kingdom, caught with a cigarette near any building at all, will be locked up for good. It's the only answer."

The Council, which brought the charges, has closed and demolished the pub, and declared a 4 mile exclusion area around the street as a biohazard.

A Council worker near the site, still wearing a full biohazard suit, said, "At least the property has been made safe, and the hazardous cigarette ends have been safely disposed of. The chemicals from the smoke are expected to disperse over the next 15 to 20 years, after which the site will be landscaped and should be safe to build on after 40 years."

I'm sure it won't be too far into the future before we actually are reading reports like that.

------------

------------

• 5 weeks later...

Go on...time to ressurrect this one yet again.

I was accosted in the Asda car park earlier, by a woman promoting a campaign to get the Government to reverse the blanket ban. The thrust of the argument was that instead of giving choice to non-smokers the right to choose has been denied to smokers...

Anyway, I digress. She then went on to discussing ID cards (she was convinced they will be implemented, although I am not so sure) and also the so called potential ban/control on alcohol as the next demon...

Then she said something odd...something she has heard from a publican friend of hers. They are piloting an ID card scheme, with, presumably, those people who already took part in the original pilot for ID cards.

The test pubs have a scanner, and you cannot purchase a drink without your ID card being scanned...once you have had four units of alcohol you cannot get served anymore...move to the next pub and they still won't serve you...

Now, THAT is scarey, and if true, the implications for other choices in your life are devastating..."sorry, you can't buy the paper of your choice, you MUST buy the Daily Mail today...sorry, no sugar, you have had your week's ration..."

Anyone else heard anything along these lines?

once you have had four units of alcohol you cannot get served anymore...move to the next pub and they still won't serve you...

Ever?! :o

Best start stocking up now then...