Civil Enforcement Ltd (again!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone know what case this was, when, and if genuine?

UK Parking Control - Court Case

It is the totally discredited and much lied about Combined Parking Solutions v Stephen Thomas case (where Thomas admitted he was the driver on this very site and appeared to deny it in court leading to the inevitable decision). This note was issued by Perky when he was putting himself foward to the BPA AOS as "legal expert" on the basis of this "landmark case"(they quickly saw through him). I'm having a bit of deja vu today - all roads seem to lead to Perky propaganda.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know what case this was, when, and if genuine?

For balance, 3 parking companies have lost 8 of their 8 cases in the last 6 months.

The problem is that reporting them leads to the false impression that these companies take people to court regularly, which isn't the case.

The parking company clowns are so thrilled when they take down some clueless member of the public, they conveniently omit to mention that they've lost every other one and still make a net loss as a result.

The parking company clowns are so thrilled when they take down some clueless member of the public, they conveniently omit to mention that they've lost every other one and still make a net loss as a result.

Plus the thousands they dare not try their hand with who they just 'write off', it then doesn't see, such a great victory.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Hi All,

I've visited the forum a few times, but i'm a first time poster.

Civil Enforcment Ltd, Horton House, Exchange Flags, Liverpool, L2 3PF

My partner has just received a 'Parking Charge Notice' for returning to her car 11 mins late!

Her car was parked in Castlegate Retail Park, St Johns Street, Huddersfield, HD1, they offer 90mins for free, and she was 11 mins late!

The are demanding 60 pound if she pays within 14 days, 120 within 28 days, if a payment isn't received, they will forward the account to a debt recovery agency.

Any advice on action / what response we should give?

Sorry if this question has already been covered.

Regards,

Chris

I received one of these tickets from 'Civil Enforcement Ltd' and have written to McDonalds twice and received 2 replies back, from their head office in Finchley.

The ticket is now up to £125 and there is no way I'm paying it. It was issued at McDonalds in Buck Barn service station Horsham. The joke of it is that this service station is on a busy main road and there is no reason to park there other than buy some food. McDonalds have said that they have to employ these people to stop people abusing the car park! It is ridiculous.

McDonalds advised me to write to the agency so I have now written to 'Civil Enforcement Ltd' (I like the way they have named themselves to look like a legal entity). I am more than prepared to go to court over this.

McDonalds have said they are concerned by my inconvenience!

I stayed for an hour and a half and bought a bacon roll and two cups of coffee as did the friend I hadn't seen for 8 months as we were catching up and chatting, seems reasonable doesn't it? How many other resturants impose a time limit on catching up with a mate!

In my opinion, someone should set up a website boycotting McDonalds until they get rid of these crooks from their car parks.

People go to McDonalds to buy resonably priced food and then they charge them £75+ if they don't eat it quick enough, times are supposed to be financially tough, and they are making things tougher for people.

Quote from UKPC website:

"Many forums/sites advise people to ignore tickets, some advise them to send standard letters to deny liability for the ticket and other outrageous defences to avoid paying a charge. A £60 parking charge is a very minor issue (my emphasis!) ............"

It is more like £150 with many companies but even £60 is hardly "very minor" to most people who would think carefully before spending this on even a durable item rather than a few minutes of parking. It MIGHT be minor to millionaire car park cowboys (I wanted a cowboy outfit when I was a boy but have outgrown them now!)

I agree utterly and completely with Steephill.

This is extortion by another name.

We are adult, reasonably intelligent people and yet these 'car parking control' firms insult us by assuming that we would handover £60+ for occupying a small patch of ground. We were not blocking the highway or preventing the landowner from doing something more ethically productive with their land, just there for merely minutes!

Perhaps, our criticism shouldn't just be for CEL and all its minions but also the private landowners who employ this sort of shoddy company (in my opinion) in the first place.

Yes - the stores and the site landlord, if different, must be aware by now what is going on and so are guilty by association of upsetting their customer base. As I have said before, buying on-line is so easy and convenient it seems daft to drive customers away from shopping in stores but this will be the ultimate result. Then the amount of rip-off charges will pale into insignificance as profits fall and, perhaps, stores go out of business (car parks too!)

I'm having the same experience with Civil Enforcement Ltd at a Homebase store.

Homebase have been totally useless and Civil Enforcement are getting hard and heavy.

A number of forums have said that this is a contract matter and therefore these "Notices" are in fact invoices for the use of the car park which you should reject and refuse to pay (in writing, if you need evidence at a later date).

As a contract matter, they may indeed be in breach of the Unfair Contract Terms Legislation by demanding such exorbitant amounts for such a (parking) service, without the agreement of the consumer (us folks).

Either way I'm looking forward to my day in court - if they every get to that stage.

In the meantime they have put a Debt Collection agency on the case who is now demanding £238 for 23 minutes of extra parking !!!!

They know where they can put their demands.....

Edited by Bruce Martyn

Here's a draft of the letter I used - feel free to use / improve as you see fit.

I enclosed a photocopy of their original parking notice as the "Invoice" with this letter.

To: Civil Enforcement Ltd, Horton House ......................

Your Ref:

To whom it may concern.

With reference to your invoice dated the xxth January 2010 (copy enclosed) and subsequent invoices submitted by you in this regard, following further advice, we hereby notify you that we do not accept this or any related invoices and have no intention of paying any such invoice(s).

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I await their reply - which I will probably ignore.

Edited by Bruce Martyn

Got one of these the other day.

Newlyn can't take any action other than to refer it back to Civil enforcement suggesting that they take legal action.

Just ignore it and any other heavy handed notices from Civil Enforcement Ltd.

Then let the court decide.......

Got one of these the other day.

Newlyn can't take any action other than to refer it back to Civil enforcement suggesting that they take legal action.

Just ignore it and any other heavy handed notices from Civil Enforcement Ltd.

Then let the court decide.......

Do you thinkl it would go to court??

People go to McDonalds to buy resonably priced food and then they charge them £75+ if they don't eat it quick enough, .

I assume that's why they call it Fast Food.

Seriously though, I think there's rather a warm glow to be had from knowing that these PPCs can threaten all they want but can't actually do very much. I can't wait for my next letter :)

I do feel for the poor sods who panick and pay though and I just wish that more people could/would research their options prior to capitulating to empty threats from bullying money grabbers.

Cheers

DJ67

I very much doubt it would go to court.

With a significant number of failed cases (refer to earlier parts of this thread) I doubt they will want to risk further losses.

The Martin Lewis web site has some good guidance on this matter.

Edited by Bruce Martyn

OK after several CEL letters, now on my second Newlyn one:

"NOTICE OF COURT ACTION" is the heading which is scarey but rest of text just says "we have no alternative but to pass back to client, who will proceed with any action" so suddenly goes a bit soft and puts your mind at rest. On the face of it Newlyn have sent one letter, which was ignored and are now admitting defeat. Seriously if they were a real debt recovery agency and were working for me I would expect a little more effort than that.

'fine' now up to £238.15.

Original 'notice' was issued against the company car which was allegedly parked at MK HUB 15th November, so going on 5 months now so hoping end is in sight.

They still make no mention of the fact they have switched the offence address from Silbury to Averbury boulevard where the car park they perform extortion in is actually situated, not as per original 'fine'.

I too have had one of these £75 fines from CEL for parking in McDonalds in East Grinstead. I went over the 75mins by 10 minutes, so annoyed!! whats worse is that my sister in law that stayed over by 25mins has had hers cancelled. She complained to McDonalds and they emailed company on her behalf and that seemed to work, not so much for me though I tried the same and McDonalds haven't heard anything back. I have since had another letter from CEL saying charges still apply and if I pay within 7 days I can still pay the smaller charge of £75, then goes up to £125. I have today sent letter to them with copies of sister in laws cancellation and asked why they are discriminating against me when I was with her?? Lets wait and see what happens.

just ignore what they send , there is no real appeals

its a [problem] invoice NOT A REAL PARKING TICKET

Now ignore their junk

and keep your dosh

all you get is letters saying they MAY do this and that , its scare tactics

the more you write they know they have you hooked

they cant affect your credit rating they cant send baliffs , and if in the very rare chance they sent a debt collector they have no powers and you can tell them to GO or you will call the police

I too have had one of these £75 fines from CEL for parking in McDonalds in East Grinstead. I went over the 75mins by 10 minutes, so annoyed!! whats worse is that my sister in law that stayed over by 25mins has had hers cancelled. She complained to McDonalds and they emailed company on her behalf and that seemed to work, not so much for me though I tried the same and McDonalds haven't heard anything back. I have since had another letter from CEL saying charges still apply and if I pay within 7 days I can still pay the smaller charge of £75, then goes up to £125. I have today sent letter to them with copies of sister in laws cancellation and asked why they are discriminating against me when I was with her?? Lets wait and see what happens.

You're falling for the [problem].

Ignore everything and don't contact them again. They'll give up after a few threatening letters.

I don't think you can discriminate when running a mail [problem]! The charge is non-existent with no legal basis, so I don't think you can 'cancel' a debt that doesn't exist.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks