• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

No CCA agreement or Unenforceable - take them to court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Lords may not like the harshness of s.127 (3), but they did approve of it enough to allow it to become legislation.

Creditors know of it so have no reason to whinge when a borrower chooses to use the Law against them.

Creditors will use any law they think they can get away with.

In truth, this is simply another expression of the constant battle between those that have (creditors) and those who don't.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Jones, I have been in touch with inkogneetoh in the past and hope to have her input again soon. (I think she might be away as her inbox is full and she hasn't logged on in a while).

In the famous case Mrs Wilson paid no monies. Then when she lost the County Court case she paid a sum to redeem her car. On Appeal the County court was overturned and her monies repaid, as they were handed over in error due to the earlier judgement. So in Wilson she never made any "voluntary" payments. And that is the hurdle as I see it for reclaiming.

I too believe in Inkognetoh's case the County Court got it wrong but taking it to Appeal is a big step and could cost a lot if it goes wrong.

joneshousehold would you know of anyone on the CAG who I could ask to look over my POC?

Regards Ben

Pope, I thank you fpr your response especially as, on rereading it, I came

across more strongly than I intended.

Your old friend Mrs. Wilson has been at it again I see. She went after another

pawnbroker and won at the second attempt-she had the contract declared

unenforceable. Wilson v Robertson 2005. So once again she recovered her security without payment. But I don't think that you can claim your £14,000

was security in the way that Mrs Wilson could. In this extract, the Judge is referring to the Moneylenders Act but it applies to the Consumer Credit Act too.

The activities of some money lenders have given the money lending business a bad reputation. Something had to be done to protect the borrower, who frequently, indeed normally, would be in a weak bargaining position. Protection of borrowers is the social policy behind the legislation. Part of that policy is to be achieved by setting stringent rules which have to be complied with by the lender if his money lending agreement is to be enforceable. The strictness of the discipline imposed on lenders is illustrated by the following passage in the speech of Lord Nicholls:

"72. Undoubtedly, as illustrated by the facts of the present case, section 127(3) may be drastic, even harsh, in its adverse consequences for a lender. He loses all his right under the agreement, including his rights to any security which has been lodged. Conversely, the borrower acquires what can only be described as a windfall. He keeps the money and recovers his security. These consequences apply just as much where the lender was acting in good faith throughout and the error was due to a mistaken reading of the complex statutory requirements as in the case of deliberate non-compliance. These consequences also apply where, as in the present case, the borrower suffered no prejudice as a result of the non-compliance as they do where the borrower was misled. Parliament was painting here with a broad brush.

73. The unattractive feature of this approach is that it will sometimes involve punishing the blameless pour encourager les autres. On its face, considered in the context of one particular case, a sanction having this effect is difficult to justify. The Moneylenders Act 1927 adopted a similarly severe approach.

74. Despite [criticism in the Crowther report] I have no difficulty in accepting that in suitable instances it is open to Parliament, when Parliament considers the public interest so requires, to decide that failure to comply with certain formalities is an essential prerequisite to enforcement of certain types of agreements. This course is open to Parliament even though this will sometimes yield a seemingly unreasonable result in a particular case. Considered overall, this course may well be a proportionate response in practice to a perceived social problem. Parliament may consider the response should be a uniform solution across the board. A tailor-made response, fitting the facts of each case as decided in an application to the court, may not be appropriate. This may be considered an insufficient incentive and insufficient deterrent. And it may fail to protect consumers adequately .... "

I have decided not to post them openly until I have filed a claim. But am happy to send them to you if you wish by PM on here.

regards

Hiya mate

Still looking over them -they look ok but I will email you soon with some other comments.

Sorry it's taking me so long!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• 2 weeks later...

subscribing

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

• 2 weeks later...
In my case they have absolutely nothing signed by me. No credit agreement and no application form. They might be able to prove a contract exists but only outside the CCA and then am back to no side-stepping the CCA. This account is not a loan. The grounds for reclaiming all monies paid is that they have no rights to the money - all as Wilson and her car.

I don't think this really undermines your argument and excuse me for being a bit vague, but wasn't there a case (in Scotland IIRC), something like John Lewis -v- Dr *Someone* in which JL lost the agreement though retained statements etc. Dr S admitted a relationship with JL and the court found in favour of the claimant.

Worth checking I'd have thought, if you haven't already.

I don't think this really undermines your argument and excuse me for being a bit vague, but wasn't there a case (in Scotland IIRC), something like John Lewis -v- Dr *Someone* in which JL lost the agreement though retained statements etc. Dr S admitted a relationship with JL and the court found in favour of the claimant.

Worth checking I'd have thought, if you haven't already.

The House of Lords judgement overrides all others from lower courts

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

Hi,

If you haven't already, then I think you will find this thread very interesting indeed!

Very good for inspiration!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/90012-just-been-court-cl.html

Regards, Jeff.

Thank you Jeff for the tip, I am already subscribed to that thread :)

I am happy that the CCA bits of my case are well covered by Wilson, even if the judge might need respectful reminding of the details!

I am researching the whole claim it all back and the Data Protection sections as these need more work. Then hopefully will launch my claim towards the end of August.

The House of Lords judgement overrides all others from lower courts

Josie, Wilson hinged upon the enforceability of an agreement vis a vis the charge for total credit. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the John lewis case actually went down that route. If anyone has a link I would very much like to read it again.

Hmm interesting. All the cases I have found, as with Wilson, concerned an agreement being unenforceable due to errors relating to prescribed terms.

Have to say I have assumed that "no agreement" cannot be anymore enforceable than an agreement that has incorrect prescribed terms. That is my non existant agreement has none of the prescribed terms.

If anyone finds the case Rosierose mentioned (John Lewis -v- Dr *Someone*) I to would like to read it.

Your HolinessTP

I am at stage 1 of my claim to request a refund of money paid to the DCA (Cabot).

My first claim is for damages caused by them sharing my personal data without permission. They have no agreements (legible or other) and they are sharing personal data but no proof they can do so.

My second part would be (asuming I win the first part) to then ask them for all my money back as they have mislead me and I made payment by mistake and there dodgy dealings.

Can you PM me your POC so I can see if there is anything I could possibly add to it or learn from it for my current and/or future).

DM

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

I'm following this with interest ( 8%, to be precise ;) ) as I'm hoping to hit a DCA in a similar way. I'll post more info when my case is advanced.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Josie, Wilson hinged upon the enforceability of an agreement vis a vis the charge for total credit. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the John lewis case actually went down that route. If anyone has a link I would very much like to read it again.

Could you provide a bit more detail please...........I've accessed all legal databases and can't find any reference to the case you mention.

• 2 weeks later...

your holiness - I'm currently in the process of taking MBNA to court for an illegible application form with no prescribed terms and processing my data - would it be possible for you to pm me your POCs from the vatican for reference?

My aim is to firstly take them to court for adding charges and interest to the account whilst they where in default of the s78 request and also to ask the judge to declare the agreement unenforceable.

Once this has been done I'm aiming to then go after them again for damages for the processing of data and I'm toying with the idea of reclaiming all interest - there is also the small point of s85 default too.

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

Pope, I'm confused - this new thread, is this the one wher you'll be telling us your news?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• 1 year later...