british gas electricity meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Prepayment meter tariffs are often more expensive than the standard credit tariff and always more expensive than the direct debit tariff (except with ebico). Also if you lose your card, it could take you several days to get a replacement, possibly leaving you with no power. You should only get a prepayment meter if it is the only way you will be able to budget for your supply.

We didn't realise when we purchased our house that it had an electricity prepayment meter until the day we moved in! I was not best pleased, we had it removed the following week, personally I think they are more trouble than they are worth and the tariffs are more expensive :)

Hi,

The others are right, I dont think you should do it unless its really neccessary. I used to work in BG customer services and the amount of calls I took for broken meters etc etc.

They are nothing but trouble if you ask me. My now husband had a pp gas meter when I first met him, I made him get rid of it sharpish! My friend has a pp meter for her electric and its the bain of her life, she hates it!

They are expensive to run, and if you dont have any spare cash, you are without power. Its much better to keep your credit meter and set up a sensible payment plan, direct debit is the cheapest option because you get a discount on your tariff.

Hope this helps a little.

heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

It all helps, thankyou. I spoke to bg this morning our bill stands at £600, i told them i wasn't happy, they asked if we could pay the balance,we can't, the alternative was £100 per month for 6 months, again not possible. So we are stuck with a meter we don't want paying this off. I did see a site where you could apply for a grant to help with arrears so that is the next step.