home move nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just wondered if any one else has had similar problems and what they did about them.

Just bought a property and tried to move in at the weekend....

combi boiler doesn't work

6 dbl sockets in kitchen don't work

3 dbl sockets in lounge don't work

cold water tap doesn't work as they hadn't 'capped off' after taking washing machine

waste pipe not capped off so water floods out under under sink

plasma screen taken off wall ( he wasn't leaving plasma) wall in a mess, tv aerial sticking out of hole in wall, plaster chipped out, rawl plugs sticking out of wall...former owner did say he'd make good wall when he left

rubbish left in garden

shed full of rubbish...enough to fill a skip

I've been in touch with my solicitor and sent them photographis evidence and they are going to write to this guys solicitor...BUT in the meantime what am I supposed to do? Money is very tight...the rubbish I can live with until something is sorted but the combi boiler, leaks and electric sockets all need fixing asap.

I'm just fizzing that anyone can leave somewhere in such a mess, he knows I'm on my own which is probably why he thinks he can get away with it.

Has anyone any idea how long it would take if I have to go through a small claims court as I'll have to borrow the money to make good the stuff I will need to live there.

thanks in advance

Gearbox (in despair)

I think some of it (such as boiler) is a case of sold as seen. The damage to the wall etc you should be able to get sorted.

I know houses and cars are different but its like buying a car and later finding out the radiator has a leak - if you didn't ask or check before hand then its not the sellers fault/problem.

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more positive.

Unless you were told in writing that the boiler was in working order, there's not a lot you can do about that.

On most estate agents particulars, there is a phrase stating that appliance are not tested, or something like that.

I'm not sure what you can do about the wall in the lounge, but the rubbish is unacceptable. When a house is exchanged, the vendor is obliged to leave that house in an acceptable, clean and livable condition.

Was the combi-boiler/central heating included as features in the advert?

When you received the list of fixtures/fittings/features etc. included with the sale, was the boiler (and plug sockets) listed there?

If so, then they should be in full working order. (please check this with your solicitor!)

In my opinion (i don't know if it's enforceable or not), something like a boiler not working can directly influence the sale/price of a property (A dead boiler would instantly cause me to adjust my offer accordingly) and therefore a potential buyer should be made aware of it.

As for the rubbish, that's an easy one. If you're required to pay to get rid of it, keep all receipts and forward them to your solicitor.

When a house is vacated, the vendor is not allowed to leave it in a condition which causes the new occupant to spend money to rectify it. I had the same problem when my wife and I moved into our house. A huge metal fencing panel (the kind you see enclosing building sites in built up areas) was left in our garden and it cost us £60 to dispose of it. I was advised to send the receipt to my solicitor to claim it back from the disbursements but alas I lost the receipt before I got the chance.

Settled in full £3,610.28!!!

Unless you were told in writing that the boiler was in working order, there's not a lot you can do about that.

On most estate agents particulars, there is a phrase stating that appliance are not tested, or something like that.

This is way beyond the estate agents particulars. Prior to exchange of contracts, your solicitor should have sent the vendors/solicitors a list of questions - the state of the boiler and it last servicing date, plus any warranties, etc. should have been covered by that. You need to go back to your solicitors to determine the answers to those questions.

Update.

Previous owner came round for his post and 'helped' me get the boiler sorted. Apparently boiler is fine but electrics aren't. He said an unused socket was the problem so took blank face thingy (sorry not technical at all) and wpind some insulation tape around the wires. Then rang an electrician mate nd a plasterer who were supposed to be coming Thurs/Fri last week....So far they haven't shown up.

He said he'd get a van at the weekend to clear rubbish...no show.

So I'm scared to death in the kitchen where he put my tool box in front of open socket, the walls still a mess, the garden and shed are too.

I have a dog that's in kennels as I daren't bring him home till it's all sorted and my solicitor is awaiting a reply from his solicitors.

If I had the money I would get everything done and then pass bills to him. I can just see this taking forever and it ending up in court.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my first post .. I've had computer problems the last few days...nothing to do with previous owner though!

I'm really in despair and just don't know where to turn next.

Gearbox