• Tweets

• Hi, I have found this group very helpful hence I am here seeking help and advice.   I got myself into a situation where I have now more than £50k in unsecured debts (personal loans & credit cards) and things are now getting out of control as I am struggling to make payments. This is purely my own created situation and I am taking 100% responsibility for it. I am keen to get out of this situation as soon as possible hence I would appreciate any help and advice in this process. I am employed at the moment and don’t want to risk going into IVA or bankruptcy as this would risk losing my job. Being sole bread earner of my family, I cannot afford to lose my job. I have been trying to keep up with the payments so far and had few missed payments instances until 3/4 months ago but got caught up with missed payments somehow using my savings. All my debts are still with original lenders. However I know I am getting into same situation again shortly and won’t be able to get out of it again. I have started exploring Debt Management Plan (DMP) option through StepChange but haven’t submitted it yet. Based on budgeting, I have around £820 available to make payments to all lenders after taking care of all other essential expenses. This is definitely lot more affordable than what I am currently paying to different lenders. 1. Is DMP right option for me in current situation? 2. what are the negative consequences of availing DMP? 3. is there something else that I can do to get out of this situation? I’m determined to clear out all my debts but need bit of breathing space and time. Let me know please if you need any additional information. Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance. MM  
    • Bookmakers use betting on political events to entice new customers, and say it is growing.View the full article
    • nope  and  neither dx
    • Ok Thank you DX will do just that . will keep you up dated.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tom Brennan v NatWest - This is a must-read!!!

calvi36
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would just like to say thanks to the mystery person who clicked me!

Thank you! :)

And again, thanks! :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I now feel the majority of financial institutions are Urban Terrorists, they use their powerful clout to subdue the individual, this power is their Bullets and Bombs, they have no regard whatever for peoples emotions and feelings, they use the law to obtain whatever they can from anyone they can and jump on anyone who has ever breached a term or condition, they prey on the uninformed or the complacent with impunity and the vast majority of organisations are out to get as much money from the individual as they can, albeit lawfully, they are unconcerned about the outcome of their actions, they are just concerned with cajoling even more money from them, I have spent my entire adult life thwarting these organisations by throwing a spanner in their works, I always thought I was taking on RIP OFF BRITAIN on my own, every organisation I have ever taken on I have succeeded, because right was on my side, I fight anyones corner if I think they have been wronged or ripped off and it gives me heart since becoming a CAGger, that there are like minded folk out there who are also concerned with doing something about RIP OFF BRITAIN and it's time we escaped from under the thumb of the likes of Lloyds TSB and the NatWest's of this world.

The OFT have caused a lot of uncertanty in the fight for reclaiming charges by not issuing a ruling either for or against the banks, instead we are at an impasse with the banks and the banks have the upper hand because they have our money to back them, they are taking the mickey out of the British Judicial system by using the delaying tactics to stall and put off claimants, especially Lloyds TSB, it's time the county court judges stood up to be counted and nipped this in the bud now, before the court system in the UK is regarded as a mockery by the rest of the world who are watching what is happening.

Succesive governments have done little to reign in these powerful institutes, but have merely stood back and watched the man in the street get rolled over and walked over, unity and perseverence are the order of the day. Lets all go and get these Urban Terrorists out of our hair, contest everything you think is wrong or unfair and more to the point don't let it drop because things may get a little shaky use the shakiness to strengthen your resolve, I urge everyone to be positive and crash on with their claim for restitution of unlawful charges, don't let the B------S grind you down and furthermore offer your support for Tom Brennan and Mr Berwick in their fight for justice, because their fight is our fight, their victory is our victory.

Your viewpoint, sad as it is, is bang on the money (forgive the pun!). They are not so much urban terrorists as the Don's of organised crime. They know what they do and don't give a damn. They knew how this would materialise back in the Eighties when Margaret Thatcher (damn her eyes) was placed in power to deregulate all sectors of business and abandon Brits to the plundering, piratical greed of these vicious swine.

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Well you say such good things and it rings true with a lot of people, so keep it up!!!

Mistermind with regards to my comment ab0out the whole story, I actually meant this thread and not the site of Toms, although that has a fantastic run down on there. I wanted people to stop worrying and causing others to panic by reading the whole of the thread, like you and I have for instance, and not just the last few pages.

Have to say Im loving how this is panning out for a thread.....even Vanessa Feltz has had a mention or 4 lol!!

Waiting to be shot down in flames - but I used to work in the arrears department of a large building society many years ago - and the attitude then was completely different - we were trained to try and help people that were in trouble - and court was a very last resort. Although it was at the time of high mortgage arrears due to high interest rates the job satisfaction was not i assure you to see people out on the streets- but if you could help and come to some arrangement you felt you had succeeded in your job. Part of the reason i left was because the attitude of "the customer always comes first" changed to "sell what you can"

We would never ever consider lending the high salary ratios that are available now - and also the shop credit cards and general easy availability of credit was not such an issue.

I feel really sorry for young people now as i feel they really need a constructive lesson in school at a young age about borrowing/savings interest rates etc. I know they may think it is boring but it may make them realise what they are getting themselves into when every time they go into a shop they are offered more credit.Also there should be more instruction about what to do if you get into financial trouble - as there does not seem to be much help.We all tend to put our heads in the sand /not open post etc and get frightened- where as we need to ask for help as soon as we can.

Before everybody fire bullets at me - I am claiming back my bank charges- I think this site is great - and I have been through some hard financial times in the past.I wish this site was around then - so my way of helping will be to spread the word to help others.

But also I think that you should remember that some people on the site are also employees of these institutions and even they fall on hard times in their lives - they are human beings too.

going to hide in my bunker now

jansus

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Waiting to be shot down in flames - but I used to work in the arrears department of a large building society many years ago

Not at all you are very welcome and seem to share the same sentiments as CAG.

I too am watching Toms case closely and hoping that it goes his way. Four years ago we made a complaint to Barclays Bank and the result was that over the next two years they forced us out of business. They took us to court for possesion of our home and we entered a countersuit. For the past two years they driven us to dispair and if it wasnt for our children I think my husband and I would have taken the easy way out. We recently came within 28days of losing our home, we had had a secured business loan.

The worst thing about it is that they stopped us from remortgaging to pay them back and raise the money to fight our corner. We have now paid them back and our counterclaim goes back to court in July. We had a successful business until we factored and their mistakes led to our complaint and our subsequent downfall. I admire anybody who takes a stand, its difficult, stressful somebody needs to stop their bullying because thats what they do!!

ditto - there is much truth in what you say, my teenagers have received offers of credit cards by post and they havent even finished college! the temptation is everywhere, if they say, mobile phones contracts are a huge issue also, most students have to have bank accounts to get the EMA payments, others, pensioners and so on have to have accounts to get benefits, so we are all in the bank system being bombarded with offers, I am always having to say, wait a minute, look at the small print, this is not as fantastic as it sounds, clever marketing, even little kids, yes more education and information, how not to get into difficulty AND what your rights are when you do:)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Due to work commitments I have been a little out of the link on Mr Brennan's case the last couple of days. Can anyone update me as to where things stand at the moment, I think as of monday the case was carried over to Tuesday.

Thanks

Chrissie

Waiting to be shot down in flames - but I used to work in the arrears department of a large building society many years ago - and the attitude then was completely different - we were trained to try and help people that were in trouble - and court was a very last resort. Although it was at the time of high mortgage arrears due to high interest rates the job satisfaction was not i assure you to see people out on the streets- but if you could help and come to some arrangement you felt you had succeeded in your job. Part of the reason i left was because the attitude of "the customer always comes first" changed to "sell what you can"

We would never ever consider lending the high salary ratios that are available now - and also the shop credit cards and general easy availability of credit was not such an issue.

A man of the Eighties I imagine? before the last bastion of decency was demolished.

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Brennan's Valiant Fight Against NatWest - 22/05/2007

"It's been a mammoth battle. Weapons used by the parties include the Office of Fair Trading's upcoming report into charges, some House of Lords rulings, a case regarding the supply of oil to Southern Rhodesia, European Directives, Austrian legislation, the Brussels Convention, the Treaty of Rome and even the Geneva Convention."

Eh? I hope thats a Joke. That forgot to put in: The Intergalactic Treaty from StarWars Episode ii; The statement made by Jo (24) from Doncaster on page 3 of The Sun; The Bible [Luke 12:15]; and not to mention my Gran's opinion on the matter.

I'm not really a Big Fat Greedy Banker so please don't treat me like one. ;)

Waiting to be shot down in flames - but I used to work in the arrears department of a large building society many years ago - and the attitude then was completely different - we were trained to try and help people that were in trouble - and court was a very last resort. Although it was at the time of high mortgage arrears due to high interest rates the job satisfaction was not i assure you to see people out on the streets- but if you could help and come to some arrangement you felt you had succeeded in your job. Part of the reason i left was because the attitude of "the customer always comes first" changed to "sell what you can" It was a harsh time then for the staff who knew what they were dealing with (high rates etc) and many people on here understand that a lot of bank staff are only doing their job.

Its a disgrace now as the more credit you have the more they throw at you.....my dad is 78 and still gets calls on a monthly basis to take a gold visa!!

I feel really sorry for young people now as i feel they really need a constructive lesson in school at a young age about borrowing/savings interest rates etc. I know they may think it is boring but it may make them realise what they are getting themselves into when every time they go into a shop they are offered more credit.Also there should be more instruction about what to do if you get into financial trouble - as there does not seem to be much help.We all tend to put our heads in the sand /not open post etc and get frightened- where as we need to ask for help as soon as we can.

Its a shame that we leave the biggest lesson of life, money, to chance. However the latest news is that Government are going to put forward financial classes to be brought into the curriculum, possibly under the guise of Citizenship.

Before everybody fire bullets at me - I am claiming back my bank charges- I think this site is great - and I have been through some hard financial times in the past.I wish this site was around then - so my way of helping will be to spread the word to help others.

You will be more welcome than you can ever imagine

But also I think that you should remember that some people on the site are also employees of these institutions and even they fall on hard times in their lives - they are human beings too.

We agree with you toally and we do not condone the abusive treatment of staff that some think is ok. We all have to make a living

jansus

Please dont. You are welcome, like Zoot has said before me. You will be so useful to the members who are having to deal with arrears, maybe in the mortgages section if that was your area of expertise....i and many others will look forward to seeing you there :)

absolutely class greedy, made me smile, cheers mate, btw I am using, hung hos whorehouse volume six (the big girls) ruling as the basis of my claim. Me love u long time u banker!

The judge needs six weeks apparently....

Natwest - DPA sent / prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/75363-bump-crapwest.html#post656651

Barclaycard - DPA sent

MSDW - DPA sent

GE Capital - Prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/72853-mr-bump-frasercard.html#post629618

RBS bank - DPA sent

RBS card - DPA sent

Student Loans Co - pending

Egg - DPA pending http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/79992-bump-humpty-dumpty.html#post707138

most students have to have bank accounts to get the EMA payments, others, pensioners and so on have to have accounts to get benefits

Can you imagine if all the student were to start getting charged to hold a bank account, it would then leave them in a position to state they would like their payments in cash, or giro,

The banks have bitten of more than they can chew this time,

The banks may try to force the pay for banking system but all that they will suceed in doing is making people fight for cash etc instead of direct debit.

I would have no problem paying all my bills once a week in cash, instead of using a dierct debit system that the goverment wants you to use as it saves admin,

Everything the goverment of this country have done is to try and make electronic payments the norm, now they maybe forced to rethink if the banks start to charge for services.

Long time ago in a galaxy FAR FAR AWAY, there lived an elf who shot banks for a living.........

Now through the power of the internet there is the CONSUMER ACTION GROUP,

Watch out they are getting crafty those pesky CRITTERS!

Banks will tell you their charges are transparent!

So is the invisible man but that does not mean he is fair or lawful.

DONT GIVE UP! FOLLOW THE CAG ADVICE AND RECLAIM YOUR CHARGES.

CAPITAL BANK! YOU ARE NEXT.

Can you imagine if all the student were to start getting charged to hold a bank account, it would then leave them in a position to state they would like their payments in cash, or giro,

The banks may try to force the pay for banking system but all that they will suceed in doing is making people fight for cash etc instead of direct debit.

I would have no problem paying all my bills once a week in cash, instead of using a dierct debit system that the goverment wants you to use as it saves admin,

Everything the goverment of this country have done is to try and make electronic payments the norm, now they maybe forced to rethink if the banks start to charge for services.

Well observed. Certainly not a situation the government would wish to encourage. Especially as it leaves them out of the loop regards accounting for taxation.

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

What about your salary? If you have to pay for a bank account then surely they can't force you to one, or will have to pay the subscription for you?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I am unsure but it seems to me the Goverment have forced us to rely on bank accounts, so if the banks start to charge you could in theory ask any employer to pay you by cash or uncrossed chq that can be cashed, and there is nothing they can do about it. If it is going to cost you money to have an account then you dont need to have one....

The gov will need to think about this carefully, the OFT in particular.

If the banks go down thie charging road then then i for one will just move my money out and offer cash only. Burger all they can do about it

Long time ago in a galaxy FAR FAR AWAY, there lived an elf who shot banks for a living.........

Now through the power of the internet there is the CONSUMER ACTION GROUP,

Watch out they are getting crafty those pesky CRITTERS!

Banks will tell you their charges are transparent!

So is the invisible man but that does not mean he is fair or lawful.

DONT GIVE UP! FOLLOW THE CAG ADVICE AND RECLAIM YOUR CHARGES.

CAPITAL BANK! YOU ARE NEXT.

jansus

Jansus

No need to hide at all - you are like many of us seeing the huge changes within these organisations/institutions!! I have had this discussion with people on this board many times myself in how much Banking and Lending has changed in the last two decades.

There is a huge amount of "Greed" within these companies now and it so obviously comes from the top of these companies - they want to boost profits.

On Monday - I went to town to do Banking errands for my two sons and my huibby. It meant I was just paying in cheques at 3 different bank counters (I get all the nice jobs?) I can say that each cashier picked up on the fact I was paying in money for someone else - I was offered products from Mortgages, Insurances and New accounts with them for my own banking etc.. In one Bank there was actually a "greeter" type person on the floor of the Bank who cornered me and was pushing me to make an appointment to remortgage with them "if we don't beat your current rate we'll give you £sss" - It's like this whole industry has GONE MAD !!! The fella on the Bank floor was so pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer he gave me leaflets - business card with his name on it - and I'd tole him "sorry look - when we want to remortgage we can look ourselves" and he still insisted I had his card etc.. needless to say all this stuff hit the bin outside the branch.

But what an example of the hard sell these companies are doing ????? I was so shocked by this behaviour and I guess it was cause I did the 3 banks in one day that it was so clear to me the pressures these staff are under to meet targets? I get the feeling staff can't afford to "care" anymore as they are so target driven? There is no respect left for the customer anymore at all.

Whatever happened to the old banks which were quiet and such heavy creeky doors - where you could hear pins drop? My first Bank account was with Lloyds and the bank was such an old scary creeky building - not like today where it's so impersonal.

Let us get this one straight. We have never had free banking. There has been stealth charges with current account since time immortal. Look at the interest you gain on a current acct compared to a savings acct or ISA. THEIR charges for so called free banking have always been there whether they were creaky old door bankers or modern woooosh door bankers. At the end of the day they are bankers, no pun intended so stop smiling lol. The hard reality is that we live in a sales driven society, from bacon on the shelves to owning houses and vehicles. I have worked in finance for what seems like a lifetime in the vehicle industry, I REFUSE TO SELL PPI AND GAP. I believe in treating people as people and not some endless stream of money to fill the pockets of the Finance Houses. I do not and will not offer sub-prime finance to anyone as this is just another way of ripping them off. I went for an interview today for a new job, I asked who did they use for sub-prime finance and when I was told who, I said sorry if this is how you do business then I could not work for you on moralistic grounds. They dug at me asking who i would use then and I said only one company and if this company was not allowed by them for finance then I would say goodbye and thankyou. THEY AGREED.