Kick the DCA's where it hurts lol

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would work in practical terms. The only "debt" that followed me for a while was a disputed Sky bill. Over the years, it went to Lowells, Hamptons, Lowells, Scotcall, Lowells and resurfaced briefly as Red (which is Lowells still). IMO, it is much easier to have one thread with your story and people can follow the merry-go-round that way. Who knows, with a bit of time, we probably will see patterns emerging.

The other aspect of it is, if there were different sub-sub-forums (!) is that people might not check one with which they are not familiar, even though they could probably answered it. If I saw a Mercers one, for example, I might decide I don't know anything about them, so leave it. But it turns out it was a 10 year old debt and so I could have easily told the OP to send the statute-barred letter, and problem solved.

Speaking for myself, I see little to be gained by separating the different DCAs. :-)

Surely for larger volumes of posts about individual DCA it makes sense to have a sub forum. The huge amount of information about Cabot is now scattered and was more than a little useful under one roof, the huge number of post and research hours were a valuable asset to CAG

Slartibartfast

PRS - Semi-retired

Well i have been a member for a couple years and come here for advice when i need it. I liked the sub forum format as i know where to look and get what i needed to know quickly as a person i am far too busy to be trawling through the thousands of threads that one big forum has , as for using the search facility you would not believe the amount of people who would not think of using it until advised too.

I do agree there is too many DCA's to give them all there own sub forum but i do agree with what was said above i think it would be prudent to give the more well known/troublesome DCA's such as Cabot there own sub forums.

They still are. :-? All one has to do is do a search for "Cabot" and they'll pop up! :-?

Searching is a process that takes time. All well and good if you are used to it, not everyone is, the extra layer of digging would put many people off trying. Its very easy to dismiss why something is useful not so easy to number the reasons why it is.

:confused:

Slartibartfast

PRS - Semi-retired

Perhaps the thread owner could have a series of check boxes to select which DCA was involved (just the major ones or "others") so that people could filter on a particular DCA and find all of the threads for that DCA

I see that there is a separate forum for legal issues - won't there be many occasions where a thread starts here & then would be better served in the legal issues forum, so won't that suffer from the problems that you have described?

Grumpy

(discussing & suggesting rather than complaining)

The problem with subforums is that threads in their own right are constantly evolving and going off on tangents, I have seen several threads where several DCA'a have been discussed in depth, how do you manage these in a sub form ?

Maybe better a label system similar to the way gmail works could be implemented (Ok I know that its probably not possible within the realms of the layout of the forum), but in the thread title or starter then the DCA's being discussed can be added automatically (picked up by the system), then you have the option to open the thread to read the entire thread, or click on the DCA that you are interested in that is being discussed in the thread and all the posts with that DCA are either highlighted or shown.

I know its probably not possible, but I think would be a great way to use a forum, I know after using labels with gmail I certainly prefer it to using folders with yahoo.

I agree that sub-forums for every DCA would be unworkable. Equally, however, I think the Cabot sub-forum was extremely useful.

What is useful about grouping threads about a particular DCA together is that patterns emerge, so that it's possible to see how they operate, and thus predict what they are likely to do next in one's own case, and what works and doesn't work in bringing them to heel. Also, of course, it's handy to know about the other names they use.

Perhaps a sticky, with one entry on each DCA, could be useful. It would need to be carefully controlled - one person per DCA who collates info and updates 'their' DCA entry. It could show the other names they use, the address for service (of CCAs, etc.), and a short overview of their modus operandus, and tactics that can be used with them.

I think that they are better all on one forum, you are likely to get far more help that way.

As an example I have been on here 8 months and have NEVER looked at the Cabot forum!

So I have a good idea of the way the others work but no idea of what scams Cabot get up to.

I don't think it would work in practical terms. The only "debt" that followed me for a while was a disputed Sky bill. Over the years, it went to Lowells, Hamptons, Lowells, Scotcall, Lowells and resurfaced briefly as Red (which is Lowells still). IMO, it is much easier to have one thread with your story and people can follow the merry-go-round that way. Who knows, with a bit of time, we probably will see patterns emerging.

The other aspect of it is, if there were different sub-sub-forums (!) is that people might not check one with which they are not familiar, even though they could probably answered it. If I saw a Mercers one, for example, I might decide I don't know anything about them, so leave it. But it turns out it was a 10 year old debt and so I could have easily told the OP to send the statute-barred letter, and problem solved.

Speaking for myself, I see little to be gained by separating the different DCAs. :-)

In answer to tberns question then YES we need separate threads.

What many seem to forget is that DCA's are different from banks and cause far more damage. Until the patterns emerge of the practices used by certain DCA's then it is difficult to get a simple format for posters and readers to follow. Sadly, DCA's have a habit of telling you what they want you to hear, not what you are entitled to under the law and their practices of operating through a variety of companies too needs unraveling before one knows how to handle them effectively.

Bookies example is a classic. Why should a debt be passed around from one to another? If the forum threads were sectioned into companies ( main ones + 'others' ) then people could be told how to stop the debt at the first agency and dealt with, it's only because people don't know how to deal with their practice that it gets moved on. everyone would benefit.

I've spent the best part of 2 yrs on this forum researching DCA's and exposing their practices and they are all different. Some letters are the same some requests for information are the same, some are tied to their bank clients and appearing like a dca or firm of solicitors.

I am not going to labour my points any further , I have said enough already in other threads. I strongly believe that just like the Banks and Credit Card forum a set of sub forums for the main companies is a must, the smaller newer companies can go under 'other ' just like the credit cards, but I can only impart my knowledge that the impact of all the gains we and many posters have made has come from the sub forum style. It has given momentum, detail and a massive headache to the DCA's. Remember, what we are doing is not about revenge or sinister desires to put them out of business or offload debts we don't want to pay. This is all about accountability, DCA's being accountable for their actions and abiding by the law. This can only be achieved by keeping the sub forums and exposing them bit by bit and advising people coming for advice what is going on in each company, That cannot be achieved in the new format. Sorry if that goes against the rub of opinion, but for once I am right whether it is agreed with or not. This just plays right into their hands and they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sarah

Whilst we know there are many DCAs the main ones could have their own sub forums. Cabot is well known as it claims to be the "industry leader" but there are other biggish operations Lowell, Thames Credit and I have noticed a lot of complaints jumping up re HFO Services who seem to be pretty notorious.

Yes do put the small ones together but the big names should be up there in lights. If they start going off on tangents then perhaps the mods should be alerted to tidy up a bit.

I have to say I am getting the impression that the mods have little experience of being on the receiving end of a nasty DCA. It's a different ball game to penalty charges. I was shocked when I started reading about DCAs and their tactics. The banks of course have washed their hands of problems by selling off for a fraction of face value and then writing it off to tax. And it is they who are responsible for lack of correct documentations.

We just need to be able to guide people quickly and easily to a reference source and sub forums would do this.

Don't care one way or the other at the moment. I'm jussed tee'd off that one of my threads has been CAGbotted for NO REASON AT ALL. It was in the Bear Garden, it was (hopefully) humerous, didn't attack anyone, wasn't libelous. All it was, was a spoof letter to DEFRA that had been emailed to me, about free money. Farm subsidies for not rearing pigs to be more precise.

Now call me childish if you wish, but just don't pick my toys up for me. I've thrown them out of the pram for a reason. I've been as loyal as I can to CAG for as long as I can stand it, but this decision, and my thread being Botted is just one step too far. Yes, it may be petty whining about one wee thread, but it really is the straw that broke the Camel's back. Perhaps if I'd had a reason given, I wouldn't be so p1ssed off, but I wasn't so I AM p1ssed off.

I am also led to believe that at least one MOD is not so happy that my blog contains links to other self help forum. WELL, IT'S MY BLOG SO I'LL LINK TO WHO I WANT. You're not gods here you know. There ARE alternatives, even if you wish there weren't.

I'd suggest that some of the MOD's get over themselves. If I thought they'd listen. But being so self centred, I hardly think they would.

I'm off. I MAY be back. But the possibility is pretty remote at the moment, the way I feel.

I wonder if this post will get CAGbotted? Quite probably. But do I give a toss? Hardly.

Eejits. :mad:

• Haha 1

So what about a request to add a bit of extra functionality so that the thread owner could have a series of check boxes to select which so DCA(s) were involved (just the major ones or "others")

People looking for a specific DCA could filter on a that DCA (a drop down of available DCAs at the top of the page or "All") and find all of the threads for that DCA.

On passing to a new DCA the thread owner would select an additional check box

That would solve a lot of the issues.

Sorry if I'm suggesting a techie solution, but that's what I do all day!

Grumpy

Lets face it - There's been a change.

People don't like change being forced on them. They often resent it even where there are improvements for them.

The changes that have been made will probably help some people, likewise some people feel that they have lost something.

The people making the change see their reasons for it and are protective of it.

Perhaps next time there could be some discussion before changes are made to the structure, but I suspect that we aren't going to see a return of the Cabot sub-forum either - without losing all postings made since the change.

Change management isn't just about managing the techie/functional bits, but it includes managing the people that will be affected by the changes - that's us, especially those who had threads in the Cabot sub-forum.

Although we have this structure now, I think that we should look at a way to improve the forums for the future and give back the cabot area or an equivalent. I think that some way of separating out individual DCA behaviour is a good idea. I'm not sure that search is the answer because you might want a search like Cabot and (court or threat) that is easier if you can select a forum to search and then search for court threat.

Grumpy (complete with soap box)

No offence, but I feel that to say that sub forums would not work isn't really a true assesment of the situation.

I know I won't win many friends for this, but I think this could work.

Start off small to begin with, with sub forums for just the main DCA's i.e Cabot, Lowell, Wescott etc.

For each new sub forum, you could have a limit of a minimum of 50 threads for a particualr DCA before a sub forum will be created.

In relation to the concerns regarding debts being passed around different DCA's. In most situations, the debt is actually passed between DCA's that are actually owned by the same company.

i.e ECI, Equidebt, Highland Associates (all one in the same)

You could have a sub forum for the parent company with a listing underneath with the other names they use.

I apprecaite that to start with this would be a total nightmare for Admin and mods, but I am sure, when the Bank Action Group was first established, it wasn't a walk in the park.

The same principle applies to Banks as to DCA's, they are not all the same and do things differently. The advice given about one DCA's may not apply to another DCA. This will lead to the incorrect advice being given, which I understand is something that CAG is now trying actively to prevent.

• Haha 1

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

I cannot understand how it can be said a "sub forum" wouldn't work - WHEN it has already been proven that the Cabot Sub Forum did work?

The Cabot Sub Forum was introduced due to the increased number of posters experiencing problems with this company - the sheer volume of threads increased overtime and it was where posters knew they could go to get help.

The sub forum was successful - how can it be argued that this forum didn't work wehn everyday there were new threads in there?

• Haha 2

The idea would be totally unworkable.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of Debt Collection Agencies, with new ones appearing every other day.

Sorry Rooster, I honestly appreciate what you are saying, but if there were seperate sub forums for DCA's the expectations of the number of sub forums could be realisticly managed.

There are currently approximately 36 sub forums within the Bank Action Group.

If we refer to the Debt Buyers & Sellers Group we see they have 62 members, which I think should be used to create the DCA's sub forums.

Now if you were to refer to their member list, how many of these companies have actually been mentioned on CAG ? (15 - 20 max).

In addition the DCA fourm could be initially broken down into two main sub forums, one for internal collections (i.e banks and credit card companies in house collections) and the second for external (i.e DCA's)

If we are talking numbers, the number of sub forums required for DCA's would be less the the number currently used for the Bank Action Group.

tbern123 vs Cabot

I am also led to believe that at least one MOD is not so happy that my blog contains links to other self help forum. WELL, IT'S MY BLOG SO I'LL LINK TO WHO I WANT.

Which is precisely why I did nothing about it

You're not gods here you know.

Yes we know that. We're ordinary people like you who want to help.

There ARE alternatives, even if you wish there weren't.

I have no problem with alternatives as long as we're all fighting for the same reason. I must admit though that I don't know of a better site than CAG, but that's just my opinion.

I'd suggest that some of the MOD's get over themselves. If I thought they'd listen. But being so self centred, I hardly think they would.

As you are clearly aware from your comments, you are aware that I have been in communication with another member of the Cabot Fan Club, and with one of the site owners to present the case put to me, despite the fact that I did not agree with it myself. If giving hours of our own time is self centred, then I'm guilty as charged. A final decision is yet to be reached, but this is not helpful in strengthening your case.

I'm off. I MAY be back. But the possibility is pretty remote at the moment, the way I feel.

The choice is yours, but I doubt that you will find another site with the experience, knowledge or resources of CAG.

I wonder if this post will get CAGbotted? Quite probably. But do I give a toss? Hardly.

I at least will let it stand.

Eejits. :mad:

Thanks.

I would add that I entirely agree with Rooster, Bookworm and other mods on the issue of seperate sub forums.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I would add that I entirely agree with Rooster, Bookworm and other mods on the issue of seperate sub forums.

Does that mean that technically this is the end of discussion and that further debate is pointless ?

tbern123 vs Cabot