• Tweets

• no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.    Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.   The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved.  Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
    • I was referring to #415 where you wrote "I was forced to try to sell - and couldn't." . And nearer the start in #79 .. "I couldn't sell.  I had an incredibly valuable asset. Huge equity.  But the interest accrued / the property market suffered and I couldn't find a buyer even at a level just to clear the debt." In #194 you said you'd tried to sell for four years.  The reason for these points is that a lot of the claims against for example your surveyor, solicitor, broker, the lender and now the receiver are mainly founded in a belief that they should have been able to do something but did not. Things that might seem self evident to you but not necessarily to others. Pressing these claims may well need a bit more hard evidence, rather than an appeal to common sense. Can you show evidence of similar properties, with similar freehold issues, selling readily? And solid reasons why the lender should have been able to sell when you couldn't.
    • You can use a family's address.   The only caveat is for the final hearing you'd need to be there in person   HOWEVER i'd expect them to pay if its only £200 because costs of attending will be higher than that
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Koala Attack Vs Barclays

koalaattack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cheers Jen - thanks for your help.

I spoke to the court today and they told me that as my case was started before the OFT ruling it would be going ahead as planned. They told me that the case is still in the system and that they are expecting both myself and Barclays there. Paul replied to my email to tell me Barclays would be represented on 6th so I guess I need to put everything together. I am assuming that Barclays will apply for a stay and that they judge will probably go with them, but you never know.

As this is a directions hearing, they haven't asked for a bundle but I am going to put stuff together. So far this is what I am going for...

1) statements

2) POC

3) SOC

4) all correspondence - including emails and original offer

5) draft directions

6) proof of posting

7) other evidence - terms and conditions from May 96 but what else?

...the evidence is the bit that I need help with, what am I going to use? Also, I really need to understand everything 100% so if someone could give me a fools guide as to what to know about the claim and CI then that would be great, thanks!

Cheers,

KA

Prelim letter received by Barclays: 26/03/07

**************no reply***************

LBA received by Barclays: 10/04/07

N1 filed at court: 25/04/07

N1 received by Barclays: 04/05/07

Offer of £1,885.00: 04/05/07 (turned down)

Offer rejection received by B'clays: 08/05/07

Barclays Acknowledge Claim: 11/05/07

Barclays Defence Filed: 18/05/07

Directions Hearing Date Set: 06/08/07

Case Stayed Until Feb '08

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Thats looks fine for directions. If you find the whistleblower report and the oft stuff thet'll be good too. as long as you can argue the unlawfullness then you'll be fine but to be honest you might not have to say a word.

Jenxx

The interesting thing with this KA is that yours isn't simply a case of right and wrong, it is a case of what should be returned and what shouldn't.

In light of the recent OFT rubbish, I think you could have a strong arguement to dismiss any notion of a stay, as you are not simply asking for something to be returned, but asking for it to be returned in a manner that will replace at a cost to the bank, what was once yours.

So, for instance, if the OFT won, then most cases would just be awarded, but yours might not as it isn't as simple. This is a pretty impressive tool for use in court. The Barclays lawyer will come with one sentence in mind - we ask for a stay pending the outcome of the test case.

You have the added weopon of rebuking this by saying your case is no longer a matter of pure lawful and unlawful, but one of what is a fair return of money and what isn't. You think it is, Barclays assume it isn't. In this, the outcome of the OFT case would not clarify your case 100%, so the issuing of aa Stay would simply be a stalling tactic on the part of the bank, and therefor your case should be heard as has been arranged with the court for some time now.

Does any of this seem to make sense to anyone else, or is it just my over eager nature and hopeful eyes!

Peter

Sign my petition to the Prime Minister here:

PETITION

Thanks

Peter

!!!WON!!!

Hi guys,

Jen - earlier in the thread (post number 65 here to be exact!http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/76517-koala-attack-barclays-4.html) I produced a transcript of the Whistleblower programme, do you think this will be ok to use or is there a more official document about? Also, and I'm sorry to ask more questions, is there something from the OFT either stating that it is unlawful to make a profit from penalty charges (and therefore I would like to see a breakdown of what it actually costs Barclays) or stating that this is what they are going to investigate? I'm assuming this is what you mean by the OFT stuff? If not, what were you refering to?! Sorry!

Peter - I would love to be able to say I completely understood everything well enough to argue as well as you just have, but the truth is, I don't and I would get myself caught up and would say something completely wrong if I tried. I also saw this morning that the bloke who claimed damages and knock on costs lost in court yesterday (he'd had his charges refunded but he lost to extra costs claim) so I would imagine I may have the same out come. I am going to study Haydn's thread and see exactly what he argued and then what calculation he used when it came to the compromise the judge asked for. I will then prepare this and take it with me. Thanks though, it's a shame I'm not as on the ball as you!

I also saw that two banks have announced how much they have paid back. Lloyds was one and they had paid back £36m - surely this is an arguement that the banks have no defence? No one would pay out £36m if they thought there was a way around it? Would this be something to add as evidence?

Cheers,

KA.

I produced a transcript of the Whistleblower programme, do you think this will be ok to use or is there a more official document about?

i am at work at the mo but I have saved the press release from BBC saved on my main comp. I will post it later so you can compare with what you already have,

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Dar£n - thank you, that would be great. I will stick my version in for now and then check tomorrow and see if the one you have is better.

Jen - I don't know what to say, thank you. Does it matter that a lot of that stuff refers to HSBC? I would have thought the same evidence works against all banks but I guess it's best to check.

I have the terms and conditions from May 1996 (my account was opened in June 96 I think - def 96 but not sure if it was June or July) so I am assuming that the conditions don't usually change from month to month. Am I right and what is it I need to highlight? Saintly, I know you know about this so if you're there..!

Also, sorry for more questions, but as an official court bundle hasn't been requested will I need to treat this as one and number all of the pages. I'm basically getting as much evidence to drop off to the court before the hearing (inc draft directions) so that I get in first. I also think that it'll look a lot better to the judge if I am prepared and Barclays do their usual and don't even bring all of the case notes, if at all.

Thanks a lot for all of your help, this place is great!

Cheers,

KA

PS On a completely different note, I had some great news today. My mum was recently diagnosed with cancer - she had the op to remove the tumour today and has started to come around already. The doctors are really positive and said that it was encapsulated and everything else looked absolutely fine. It seems like she's going to be ok which is great. I haven't been bothered with this for a while to be honest, and with OFT events last week I just assumed I wouldn't be getting anything. At the time I figured it was only money and there are more important things (which there are I know!) but now I am going to give this 100% again. I'm going to nail all of this evidence tonight and get it to the court tomorrow ready for Monday - and it's mostly thanks to Harvest and the rest of you helping me out, so thank you.

PPS Yellow highlighter doesn't photocopy. Bugger.

BBC NEWS | Business | The true cost of bouncing a cheque?

BBC NEWS | Business | Mis-selling is 'rife' at Barclays

i used to have the link to the actual program but cant find it, i'll keep looking

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Hey koala

Fantastic news about mum, I'm so happy for you and your family :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Cheers Welshcakes - I haven't spoken to her but she's allowed to use a mobile on her ward so I'll call later (I'm not allowed to see her as I have a cold!)

Dar£n - thanks for this, no worries about the link, I have the link to the youtube clip within my transcript so I will use them all (I assume youtube will be ok given that it is exactly as it was on tv?)

I mentioned this earlier, and on the Lit Team: Good or Evil? thread, but I have since found this article:

Bank charge refunds may have hit £1bn | | Guardian Unlimited Business

Surely, and may be this is a bit simplistic of me not being a big shot business man and all (mind you, we did cover goodwill/profit/ethics etc as part of my business A level and in my degree!), no business, no matter how nice and ethical they are, would pay out £1bn if they could produce evidence to show that their taking the money in the first place was legitimate? Or am I wrong?! I can't see how I am, but you never know.

Now, assuming I am not wrong, can this be used as evidence?

Cheers,

KA

Hi KA, sorry about your mum, glad she's doing okay. My little boy had a cancerous tumor removed so i know how hard it is.

You seem to be on top of the bundle now, once its numbered and organised thats the worst bit, we bought a photocopier/printer to do all ours...with 3 on the go it worked out cheaper..lol

PS anything in our favour you could put as misc in your bundle.

Jenny xx

Cheers Jenny,

Just sticking it all together at the moment. The thing is, I haven't been asked for a bundle so I'm not looking at this to be a bundle - I'm just entering this as additional evidence to be considered with my case. I'm not going to file it in any official way like a bundle and will only be handing it in this afternoon ready for Monday. I was hoping that this would show that I have researched my case and that this isn't some fly by the night, get quick rich idea I have had. I would also hope that it would show the judge who was taking the hearing more seriously out of the two of us as I'm guessing Barclays will have very little with them.

This is obviously form the basis of a bundle should I need it but I would also like to be able to add to it with other info before my final hearing should I get one.

I'm just about to write something to explain the T&Cs I am including and would like to know the exact act that states that it is unlawful for banks to make money from charges - can anyone help please?

Also, I have a standard defence from Barclays - which section am I looking to quote that implies that by going over my limit I have broken my T&Cs? I've had a read through and don't understand a lot of it I'm afriad.

Cheers,

KA.

HELP!!!!!!

Sorry to be a pain but has anyone got a link to the latest draft directions please? I'm just finishing off my extra evidence so I can drop it off later and I can't find the draft directions anywhere!

Please help!

Thanks,

KA

Cheers Saintly, I think it might be. What I was actually after was something that I think I saw on here as a template that basically said that I would respectfully ask the judge to request a breakdown of charges from Barclays Bank so that it is possible to see the true cost of these charges.

Is that about anywhere or have I just made it up?

Cheers,

KA

Hi guys,

Panic over, I've sorted everything I need now so am just going to bind it all ond take it down to the court - thanks for all of the advice!

I have Judge Walker taking care of my case - anyone else had any dealings in Plymouth Combined Court with this Judge?

Cheers,

KA

I handed my documents in at five to four and the lady was very pleasantly suprised and very helpful - she basically said that the judge's hands may well be tied despite what he feels on the situation.

I didn't put on page numbers as it wasn't a bundle and she was fine with this - she also said I can take it home and add in anymore information that I want for a later trial.

Have a great weekend - see you after the hearing.

Cheers,

KA.

HI KA & everyone,

Ok flood waters receeded and got electric and even water now. Finally heard from the court re my postponed preliminary hearing 24th July (Closed courts due to flooding.)

Well I cant believe it. Judge has ordered another stay pending the outcome of the oft v the banks case (the third stay!!!!!!)

What has this bloke got against me (barclays shareholder perhaps)

I will of course object but this usually takes a month to hear anything back from them....this is never gona happen is it?

Does anyone have anything I can put in my letter that doesn't sound as nasty as I feel that will in some way get thru to this judge?

I have had enough as much with the courts as the banks....they're all against me!

Bigem

Good news about the water and stuff bigem; rubbish about the court but unfortunately it's the way it is going. When I handed in my stuff on Friday the lady at the court said they may receive directions instructing judges to stay all hearings - where would these instructions come from?

Also, I have been researching UTCCR 1999 and was wondering whether anyone could point me towards somewhere that would explain exactly where it says about the unfair charges? I'm pretty much prepared but I want to know exactly where and what the UTCCR says.

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Well, guess who just got back from court with a cheque from Barclays for £6,500?!!!

...nope, not me. Barclays applied for a stay, judge said he had no choice but to apply it and said that he thinks there may be some idea in February - he said I could apply for it to be lifted in March if I wanted. As we left I thanked the Barclays bloke who apologised and said he doesn't understand why we had to turn up to hear that (wasting me time aparently! The bloody cheek!). Anyway, I said I'll see you again some time and he just laughed.

So then, February it is...

Cheers,

KA

Hi Saintly - it was Plymouth Combined Court with Judge Waker. Nice bloke who was quite apologetic, so was the Barclays bloke who's name I didn't get.

When I asked whether there was remit for charges to be stayed too the Judge said "well, may be that should be part of your case"? Didn't really answer my question. I presented the Barclays bloke with an objection to stay letter, he said fine. I gave it all to the Judge on Friday (along with a three inch think document of evidence to be considered), it wasn't!

I know the OFT are doing a good thing but their timing could have been better for me!

Cheers,

KA

Hi guys,

What happens now? Will I have to wait until the OFT get something sorted and will I be contacted by the courts to say my case has been reopened or is it up to me to chase?

Cheers,

KA

Hi Saintly - it was Plymouth Combined Court with Judge Waker. Nice bloke who was quite apologetic, so was the Barclays bloke who's name I didn't get.

When I asked whether there was remit for charges to be stayed too the Judge said "well, may be that should be part of your case"? Didn't really answer my question. I presented the Barclays bloke with an objection to stay letter, he said fine. I gave it all to the Judge on Friday (along with a three inch think document of evidence to be considered), it wasn't!

I know the OFT are doing a good thing but their timing could have been better for me!

Cheers,

bit iffy to me ,think everone new something happening at years end,but they have done something now,wonder if banks agreed, to stop massive increase in claim pay outs.we will see if its a good thing,everthing done now has been in banks favour.tez

Yep, I thought about this more and more last night and I got more and more angry with myself for not arguing more. I know it would be a fruitless exercise but I would have felt better...

UTCCR 1999 came out 8 years ago. Barclays take pride in telling us they're one of the 8 biggest high street banks so therefore I would say it is logical that they would have put together a full breakdown of their charges over the years to comply with this act. Also, Barclays have been aware of my intention to take them to court since 25th April 2007, that's nearly 4 months - surely they could have put together documentation to fully disclose their charging structure? Or, may be they're just using the system and stalling - in the mean time, charging customers yet more unlawful charges and making interest in the process...

Vent over!