Inland revenue..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

nope i dont believe so the tax relief is due to your expenditure, if you work part time i presume your work clothes still get dirty, maybe only part dirty eh? :D

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

This is the template letter Asda are giving out

Inland Revenue

Central Yorkshire Area

31 Lisbon Street

Leeds

LS1 4SF

1st February 2007

Dear Sir/Madam

Tax Reference: 567/A4000

NI Number: aa12345678a

I have recently received a change in my tax coding to include the allowance for laundering my uniform.

I would like to the claim the allowance back to my start date of 04/06/2002

Yours Faithfully

Just change the bits in red to suit you

If the company provides you witha full uniform which you have to wear, then yes.

You have to contact your Inland Revenue Office and request the tax allowance for this then write to request the back dated payments.

In the case of Asda they inforned the Inland Revenue initially, not sure as to how you may need to prove the fact, maybe a letter from your company to Inland Revenue to confirm the fact.

if you work for a company and they provide you with a uniform which you have to launder at home, you are entitled to £45 per year tax relief. ( both my partner and i get this, it was something i sorted out through my union ).

you may have to ask.

they may tell you automatically.

but you are entitled to it.

£45 per annum, laundry expenses.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

While the strange questions are being asked- may I ?

18 years in the army, are we entitled to the same?

Also there are many urban myths in the army that you can claim relief on items such as shaving foam, razor blades, boot polish/brushes, brasso ect ect, is this just an urban myth or does it have substance.

Also would any equipment that we have bought for operational tours be allowed to be claimed against?

Please dont anyone reply with ask the Pay office, as they excell themselves on a monthly basis by just paying us, lets not ask too much of them!!!!

Are receipts required for all the above?

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you can read it in english thank a soldier.

In respect of cleaning the allowance is for laundering the clothes that belong to your employer i believe.

Re kit you have to buy, i guess this would be no different, in tax terms at least, to a workman having to buy clothing for work which was essentail.

howver, having said all this im no tax expert and would hope that someone on here with the required knowledge would comment.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

For Your Info

Tools and clothing allowance

Concessions applicable to individuals (Income Tax and interest on tax)

Flat rate allowances for cost of tools and special clothing

An employee who has to bear the cost of upkeep of tools or special clothing necessary for their work is entitled, under Section 198(1), ICTA 1988, to a tax deduction for the expenditure incurred. For most trades flat rate expense deductions have been agreed with the trade unions concerned. These deductions are given without enquiry as to the amount of expenditure actually incurred by individual employees, provided that it is the the employees' responsibility to bear the relevant cost in full.

If the employer provides or pays for what is required, or would make such provision if requested, the expense cannot be regarded as necessarily incurred by the employee and no deduction is due. If the employer makes partial provision, the rate of deduction may be reduced accordingly. The existence of a flat rate deduction does not debar an individual employee from instead claiming a deduction for the actual expense he or she has incurred. The deductions can be found in a pdf table by .

For further information on your claim visit: www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk and look up 'IR1 Extra-Statutory Concessions'

I have a PDF with all the info on it, if anyone wants a copy let me know

if anyone reading this series of posts still have doubts about the laundry expence, and you are in a union please consult them.

if you are a member of UNISON, then you will be aware of this allowance, mainly because of your regular magazine which usually has a flyer in it from a company that will ( for a one off charge ) sort it out for you, but there is no reason why you cant approach the tax office directly and get the same result.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!