Faulty Novatech Laptop

Jase1982
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

This is my first post since I discovered this website - Hope I can gain some helpful tips.

I bought a laptop from Novatech for around £800, I think it was £50 for the 2 year warranty.

This was in November / December 2004 so we are just about within the warranty.

The problems I have been experiencing with my laptop consist of it overheating and shutting down periodically.

I have taken it back to Novatech 3 times now, one time they failed to reconnect the keyboard so I had to returned.

Do I have any right to request my money back as Novatech have agreed that there is a problem and this has not been resolved sufficiently?

I have also been verbally informed the battery (PSU) is not covered in the 2 year warranty. Is that something I should check in the terms and conditions? or should the entire bundle be covered?

Many thanks in advance for any help I may receive?

Jase.

Cheers for the help.

I am a little concerned though, as it has been almost 2 years do I still have a case if the laptop is not performing sufficiently?

As I have accepted the goods and 2 years have passed I don't know where I stand.

I would however like a laptop that you are able to have on your lap! Novatech told me you must use it on a hard surface - Surely that would be a desktop PC?? I wanted something mobile, could this be classed as misrepresentation of goods? As technically it is not as described as you can not use it for it's sole purpose.

I dont think the words 'lap top' are to be given a literal meaning. I am sure it can be used on your lap and it may just be a recomendation that it is used on a flat surface. Cant see any misrepresentation...that would be stretching it too far.

After 2 years you still have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act but it is a substantially reduced one and limited to repairs, cost of repair or a contribution towards it. The warranty may give you more....

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I need some advice. I had a Novatech laptop for 18 months and after that time it began shutting down on its own.

The laptop has been returned several times to Novatech and it is my belief that the problem is down to a manufacturering default or poor design.

Novatech are now being a bit difficult.

I sent them a letter demanding a replacement or partial refund,

they asked to see the laptop,

they repaired it

- at least I thought they did

- the same problem has happened again.

What can I now do to reclaim my losses?

I now have a rather small industrial sized heater, which runs for around 2 hours before shutting down.

I did not pay £750 for that!

Any suggestions?

Does it shutdown after 2 hours when powered from the mains?

2 hours is a long time for an overheating issue if its for example a bad fan it should overheat in a fraction of that time.

What's been done to the laptop? Windows reinstalled?

Try running it exclusively off the mains with the battery removed see if that helps it stay on.

Hi,

I can only use it from the mains and it'll shut down after around 2 hours, maybe less than that. It does seem to fluctuate though.

and, yes I did purchase it direct from Novatech.

I have not done anything to the machine, in the way of re-installing anything. It is the same as when I bought it.

Try disconnecting from the mains and removing the laptop battery there will be some clips or sliders underneath and it should either slide or drop out, with the battery removed try the laptop on the mains and see if it gets past the 2 hour mark