DD Vs. Standing Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it particularly difficult to change a DD to a SO with regards to utilities?

Im reading more and more cases of people having their DD upped to stupid figures, and i'd hate for it to happen to us, should we be found to owe money.

Will Scottish Power drag their heels over this?

Will we be 'punished' (i.e. lose discount entitlements etc) if we swap payment method here?

THE STORY SO FAR:

~Asked for my Statements: 2/10/06

~Got them within 14 days (fair play)

~Asked for the money back:18/10/06

~Computer said no!!!! (not all of it anyway)

~Rejected the (crap) offer (£570/£1300): 11/11/06

~Computer said Hell no!!!!

~Barclays said I can go to court if I want (like they've got the balls to go that far!)

~MCOL done 29/11/06

~Barclays acknowledged: 18/12/06

~AQ received, filled out and returned: 4/01/2007

~Court date set for 28/03/2007

Cant help thinking that soon, Barclays might have to have a go with a test case.... Hope they dont choose me!!!!

Small (SORRY) donation given, cos i reckon i might win in the end, and without you guys i would never have started this process!!: 16/11/06

Hi,

Ive found the best way to pay is with the payment cards you take to the post office (i have a credit meter installed not a PP), and agree with your supplier a monthly amount to pay.

That way, they cannot increase your direct debit, and if you are short of cash one month, i usually just pay maybe half, and pay the rest the next month. Im with Pgen, and they have never said anything about me doing this.

Alternatively, if you cant be bothered trekking to the post office every month, cancel your DD and pay the bills monthly online using internet banking. The discount you get is not usually much anyway.

I cancelled my DD when Pgen increased my payments and took more money then they should out of my account without informing me. I agree with Ozzy, they dont control my finances!

Hope this helps.

A Standing Order isn't appropriate way to pay for standard metewred consumption because this only provides for a set unchanging amount. There are schemes where utilities will agree your future consumption figure and average this over 12 months, giving you 12 equal installments. The plus side is that providing the estimate is reasonable, you'll over-pay in Summer, but average out in winter. The utilities also reserve the right to recalculate should your consumption deviate from the original calculation, but as an alternative to a DDM, it's a winner!

• 5 months later...

I pay all mine via standing order as I get paid 4 weekly and not calendar monthly

am with atlantic for gas/electricity and severn trent for water and I have never had any problems.

all I do with gas and elec is phone them once every 6 months, ask what my last 12 months bills were added up and then divide that amount by 13 to work out my payments

works fine for me as am in credit with both and my water gets paid of early every year :)

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice