SRJ say i owe Box Clever £800 debt

Rich44
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a letter from them claiming I owed Box Clever £800 before xmas, so wrote to them asking for signed agreements etc which they then supplied except....

They were for someone else who doesnt even have any of the same names as me, doesnt live in the same county and is for a company called DER direct not Box Clever.

I have written back a quite harsh letter and written to the 3rd party explaining what has happened and telling them to complain etc and not heard a bean back.

I suspect that its for a TV rental I had in 2001 which when I moved house I handed back to the local radio rentals/box clever and I had paperwork for at the time but have moved house 3 times since then the last time from a 3 bed house to a 2 bed flat so a load of stuff got binned and didnt think I would need it anymore - typical isnt it??

Now there is one of 2 possibilities here either BC/RR lost the paperwork or as the store was shortly afterwards closed down a member of staff slinked off with it and now they want just over £800 from me (still no signed agreement received) and this is the first I have heard of it in all these years.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this happen twice with box clever although the last name was at least the same.

I phoned them and explained the mix up and never heard from them again

but it does make you wonder how they manage to make such a mistake in the first place.

I wonder if its a straight forward mix up or something more sinister and they really do think I owe this money, either way I handed the TV back and im not paying esp considering I havent heard a bean in all these years

had a letter from them Friday stating that the case is now closed then today a letter with the correct CCA with my signature on it so for the time being im assuming theyre going to leave me alone :)

• 2 years later...

If used to be a call centre debt collector and Im sure that statutory law states that they cannot chase anyone for a debt that is more than 6 years old. This may have changed since I did that job so you may need to double check it somewhere but if it is still the case then Id tell them to whistle. Id also check my credit file cos if it isnt showing on their it wont effect anything you may be applying for now.

• 1 month later...

just had a phone call from SRJ.to say their calls are "monitored" for training purposes is a good idea.The rep that just called me couldnt have been more rude if he'd tried.Trouble is he picked the wrong one when he rang me,coz i can be twice as rude when wound up.

wrote a complaint to them about his attitude,but i'll probably have more chance spotting a flying pig than gettting a reply

• 5 weeks later...

It's about time something was done about this company. I am so angry at their ludicrous and insulting accusations that I've put a file together posting it to trading standards offices, the police and mps - there are many elderly people being treated very badly. I say to the authorites, act now and close down these rogues

I urge all people being harassed by SRJ to collect all their letters, record their phones calls and then act. Most of us don't even owe anything to anybody but facts never bothered SRJ

Takes all the evidence you have to the authorities - trading standards, PMs, even the police. tell BT about their nuisance calls - put pressure on the authorites to investigate this company

A look at their website:

SRJ Debt Recovery

Couple of points:

They are also a debt purchaser. Looking at how old some of these contracts are, some companies are quite happy to buy Statute Barred debts, (over six years with no payment or admission of the debt).

These are unenforceable and can be bought for virtually nothing, but they hope to get money in from people who simply are not aware of that.

Under 'litagation Services' they also mention their close link with Bryan Carter & Co, which about says it all.

David

The point I reiterate is this. It seems to me many of the people SRJ hound don't even owe debt, let alone more than six years ago. But the authorities don't seem to care about the inncoent public! I say, report SRJ to everybody and anybody until someone investigates their methods and closes them down. They chased me for a company I'd never dealt with. It was total fabrication. Isn't that harassment? Isn't their a law about that? It seems SRJ are above the law. Amazing

The point I reiterate is this. It seems to me many of the people SRJ hound don't even owe debt, let alone more than six years ago. But the authorities don't seem to care about the inncoent public! I say, report SRJ to everybody and anybody until someone investigates their methods and closes them down. They chased me for a company I'd never dealt with. It was total fabrication. Isn't that harassment? Isn't their a law about that? It seems SRJ are above the law. Amazing

Agree if enough of us stamp our feet go an badger our mp's and insist that the oft do what we pay taxes for them to do. It can be very effective for say 12 pepole to quietly and peacefully turn up at an mp's surgery and present the problen to them

Agree if enough of us stamp our feet go an badger our mp's and insist that the oft do what we pay taxes for them to do. It can be very effective for say 12 pepole to quietly and peacefully turn up at an mp's surgery and present the problen to them

I've had the usual idiotic letter from SRJ saying I've changed addresses when as an OAP I've lived and retired in the same house for years. I don't owe money to anybody. How can it be legal to get these type of letters.

So I've spoken to my solicitor and sent all the letters to the Surrey Trading Standards Officer (SRJ are in Surrey) and also asked BT to record their telpehone calls as 'nuisance calls'

You're right. Demand your MP and the police do their job and protect the ordinary citizen. Don't put up with it. Ask for SRJ to be investigated.

If enough people kick up we can get this company closed down

I would suggest anybody who is being harassed by this company, especially as in my case when I do not owe anything to anybody, sends the details to

1. their MP

2. OFT

3. Trading Standards Offcier in Surrey where the company is based

all addresses and email contacts can easily be obtained online

SRJ's latest [problem] is to put your phone number on a computer and keep ringing you. If you ring back you are almost certainly charged at premium rates

I'm now convinced that they get your phone number, put it on an automatic dialling system and charge high premium rates when you answer or ring back to see what it was about. Isn't this a [problem]?

I thought this was illegal? Why don't our overpaid civil servants at the OFT earn their keep and fully investigate? Isn't it time the general public were protected?

I would suggest anybody who is being harassed by this company, especially as in my case when I do not owe anything to anybody, sends the details to

1. their MP

2. OFT

3. Trading Standards Offcier in Surrey where the company is based

all addresses and email contacts can easily be obtained online

SRJ's latest [problem] is to put your phone number on a computer and keep ringing you. If you ring back you are almost certainly charged at premium rates

If you can get the press involved even better

If you can get the press involved even better

Don't think that writing or contacting SRJ is going to do any good. Facts and truth are not their concern.

It just amazes me that a company can run a premium rate telephone [problem], harass people who are not the person to whom a debt belongs, and our agencies like the OFT, Trading Standards Officer and even the police just stand by and let it go on. It only goes to show what I've always thought. Our civil servants are useless, not there for the ordinary man or woman.

But whatever you do, do not sit back and let this company bully you. Complain, complain and complain. Go to your MP, go to the press.

I was told by one government agency to contact the CAB if I was being harassed.

I wonder how long it will be before if we get attacked in the street the police won't bother to come out but tell us to ring a Direct Call Centre

Pathetic!

These agencies are a wasted space - & certainly a waste of tax payers money

I was told by one government agency to contact the CAB if I was being harassed.

I wonder how long it will be before if we get attacked in the street the police won't bother to come out but tell us to ring a Direct Call Centre

Pathetic!

These agencies are a wasted space - & certainly a waste of tax payers money

We all need to make a stand an insist that all the agences paid for by out tax do there job ie: oft ico trading standards and the police(whos chief constables should be ellected by the people they serve ). So make a fuss and badger your mp and local council.

• 2 weeks later...

These idiots called my mother in law, at her own address (I did stay there for 6 months 2 years ago) saying they wanted to talk to me about an 'outstanding balance'

Now they have received plenty comms from me in the meantime advising of new address, no contact by telephone etc.

Its went in the file I am keeping about these clowns.

We also are getting bombarded by rude calls from this company for a debt that the company in question have agreed that we don't owe. SRJ don't care and continue to demand money from us 2/3 times a day. I have written a complaint letter and intend to send it to Watchdog. OFT and my M.p. if anyone else who has sent complaint letters has an address or email address they could give me I could ensure that my complaint goes to the same people. If they receive numerous complaints i would imagine we have more of a case.

• 2 weeks later...

"Icefairy" last posted 16.7.09 "Forgive me I am a newbie and dont really know how to reply to posts yet"

I am logging a complaint tomorrow at my local TS Office re. the above dca.

They are part of Fredrickson International and as mentioned in previous posts they are somehow linked in to Brian Carter/Bryan Carter.

I have sent complaint letter to Fredricksons and received a final response letter from them after I stated in the letter that I was going to complain about them and their conduct to the OFT, FSA, TS, CSA (who they are a member of and have Codes of Practice for their members) and ask the Information Commissioner to do a formal assessment under Section 42 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

I then today received another letter from PO Box 1173, Woking, and after googling it is SRJ Debt Recovery. So I am reporting the pair to CSA who they are both a member of and will definitely report both of them to the Information Commissioner. If you go online to ICO site and click on complaints, there is a Data Protection Complaint form which you can either fill in online or download fill in and post.

Good Luck

Val

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks