Who is responsible for gas saftey checks?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I own a leasehold flat in a building of four flats. Two of the other flats are owned by the freeholder who lets them out to rent paying tenants.

My lease (dated 1961) states that the freeholder must keep the building insured at all times from such risks that would normally be in a comprehensive insurance policy.

I understand that the freeholder is definately responsible for checking the gas appliances in his own two flats which he lets.

I am unsure however, if he is also responsible for ensuring that my own gas boiler and appliances are checked annually.

In simple terms, because I own the boiler, does this make me responsible for ensuring that its checked/maintained, or is the onus on the freeholder?

If the responsibility lies with me, should the freeholder not have requested a copy of the saftey certificate?

Another a question I would like to ask, picture a scenerio where say damage was done to the entire building through a faulty gas appliance within one of the flats owned by the freeholder. If the flat containing the faulty appliance did not have a valid gas certificate, would this mean that any insurance claim would be invalid on the building as a whole??

One more question, do I have a right as a leaseholder to examine gas certificates for the other three flats in the building.

I would be very grateful for any help. The freeholder has just changed insurer, I have noted that the appliances must be checked annually. I just want to know where I stand in light of this.

progress.gif

I stand to be corrected here, but I thought gas safety checks were only ever needed where a property was tenanted? As for the questions on the insurance I would ask who ever the insurance is with. The freeholder should be able to supply you with a copy of the schedule.