What will happen after the OFT report in March?

JustJon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was reading here:

Damning verdict on banks | This is Money

that OFT will be producing a report in early March which may force the banks to drop their charges to something slightly more reasonable like £12 (like they did with credit cards). I was wondering how this will affect peoples claims?

In particular, I'm just starting the claim process and have ordered my bank statements today. Obviously my bank may take 40 days or longer to supply them. I already have 5 years of statements which total about £2400 in charges and interest.

Should I wait until the bank send me the missing year and be at a greater risk that the OFT ruling will change something meaning I can't claim as much, or should I just send the prelim letter now with what I've got and hope to beat the ruling?

Will it make any difference?

The OFT are unlikely to affect anything to do with our claims. Their credit card ruling didn't and if the bank report/ruling is any different they'll have to give reasons why.

I think it will be along the same lines, i.e. setting a threshold for OFT intervention and we'll just carry on claiming.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I am right in thinking the £12 is a recommended maximum ? I had the £12 argument thrown at me by a Halifax "manager" and I responded well, does it actually cost £12 to deal with an over credit limit ? Well it is what the OFT say ? ........ so because they say £12 is reasonable then if it only costs you say £2.50, you still think it is OK to over charge ?

It is a common misconception about the £12 ruling. The OFT said that anything under £12 could still be unlawful but it was for the courts to decide. Anything over £12 and they would take it up themselves. The credit card companies have avoided this by lowering their charges to £12 but they still settle out of court as they are still unlawful.They do of course still quote it as an argument which we in turn ignore.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Thanks Cornflake, that is very useful to know, Halifax CC are being a real pain to me at the moment and they are the only creditors (and by no means the largest) not to accept my payment offers so far, they want me to use Debt Managers so they can be sure "I am not trying it on". Their attitude stinks and they are so arrogant, SAR and harrassment letters already on the way, deserve all they get !!

Harry

My understanding of the OFT's decsion re credit cards is thus. they were sayin ok we could carry out a long process to determine the EXACT cost but in order to benefit customer's now anytthing over £12 is too much. This doens't mean it is ok for companies to charge £12. These charges would still have to be justified in court if a company defended a claim.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

My understanding of the OFT's decsion re credit cards is thus. they were sayin ok we could carry out a long process to determine the EXACT cost but in order to benefit customer's now anytthing over £12 is too much. This doens't mean it is ok for companies to charge £12. These charges would still have to be justified in court if a company defended a claim.

Pretty much, yes.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07