• Tweets

• Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFO Services issuing court claim form

burt999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All....

I owed about £2000 to Barclaycard approx 3 years ago and have been bounced between various agencies to the point i stopped communicating with them.

Latest one is HFO Services Ltd, who have put in a Claim Form with Croydon Court through Turnbull Rutherford Solicitors for the amount plus interest. They use the terms 'The Claimants claim is for monies due under a Credit agreement', but do not say with whom.

I'm assuming Barclaycard have sold the debt on? Is this legal?

Advice please? I have about 9 days to reply.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. You need to send a CCA request to HFO. You will find template letter on this site. You need to enclose £1 postal order and send by recorded delivery (very important). Then send SAR request to Barclaycard including £10 and also send by recorded. SAR template letter is also on this site.

This will put the debt in dispute and give you time to claim back your charges. It could be that the charges and interest are more than the debt therefore wiping out the debt. At the very worst, the debt will be significantly reduced.

OK. Get the CCA and SAR sent off tomorrow. Then write to the court saying that the amount is now in dispute and that you have sent a Consumer Credit Act Request to HFO and a SAR to the original creditor and that you believe the debt is mostly and possibly wholly made up of unlawful penalty charges. Until this information has been received, you are unable to properly prepare your defence.

OK. Get the CCA and S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent off tomorrow. Then write to the court saying that the amount is now in dispute and that you have sent a Consumer Credit Act Request to HFO and a SAR to the original creditor and that you believe the debt is mostly and possibly wholly made up of unlawful penalty charges. Until this information has been received, you are unable to properly prepare your defence.

Final question Stan. If I do above actions (even though i dont personally dispute the charges really, cos i do owe Barclaycard, to be fair), what do you expect the response to those actions will be?

And I'm assuming i should send all by recorded delivery.

If you defaulted on your payments and it was then passed to debt collection agency, there will most certainly be charges. Once defaulted, the agreement ended and they cannot charge interest after that. Debt collection agencies are also know to add on their unlawful fees. It is your right to check the basis of their claim. If no charges have been applied to this account, then congratulations! You are the first person to have defaulted and not been charged penalties!

Do you know exactly how much was owing when you defaulted, and how much you have paid?

Also, dca's are well known to attempt taking debtors to court without the proper documentation ie a copy of the original agreement and deed of assignment of the debt. Without this documentation the debt is unenforceable and they have no legal right to be taking you to court.

Not at all. Hence the SAR to check, i guess. I wasnt aware Barclaycard could sell their defaults on though, to the point of the the 'buyer' taking the debtor to court.

My other concern is that the Claim Form doesnt even specify the nature of the debt and who i owe money to. Makes you wonder if Barclaycard could issue a similar claim later on.

Also, dca's are well known to attempt taking debtors to court without the proper documentation ie a copy of the original agreement and deed of assignment of the debt. Without this documentation the debt is unenforceable and they have no legal right to be taking you to court.

ahhh you type quicker than me.

HFO will have bought the debt and are now the legal owners. However, on purchasing the debt, they should have all the proper documentation or they are in breach of the Consumer Credit Act. Barclaycard have not sold the default, more the debt. Dca's buy debts for as little 6p in the £1. HFO are known to add on hundreds of pounds of charges.

I think you may be suprised when you get your SAR back.

HFO will have bought the debt and are now the legal owners. However, on purchasing the debt, they should have all the proper documentation or they are in breach of the Consumer Credit Act. Barclaycard have not sold the default, more the debt. Dca's buy debts for as little 6p in the £1. HFO are known to add on hundreds of pounds of charges.

I think you may be suprised when you get your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) back.

Apologies for asking again Stan. the SAR is likely to be what I owe Barclaycard or, what HFO paid for the debt?

SAR goes to Barclaycard. You will get back a full set of statments going back six years. This will show all the charges on the account, and the final amount owing before being passed on to HFO or whoever.

CCA goes to HFO. They have to send you a copy of the agreement, deed of assignment and a list of transactions and charges.

• Haha 1

How long did you have the Barclaycard for? Do you remember what year? If it was longer than six years, did you make any late or missed payments or exceed your limit beyong six years? If so, ask for a complete set of statements since you opened the account.

Hi Burt,

I can understand that you were probably more than a little surprised and shocked to receive the Court claim and are wondering what you should do. I know that Stan is trying to help but he has given you incorrect information.

You absolutely have to file a defence to this claim, otherwise if you don't, the claimants will simply apply and get, judgment by default once the time for you to submit your defence has passed. It is in no way sufficient for you to simply write to the Court and state this matter is disputed. Your defence must counter each point of their claim and not by simply stating the money is not owed. If it is not owed you must substantiate that with reasons. If you do not address each point of their claim, it will be assumed by the Court that you admit liability, for anything unchallenged.

You can at this stage file an acknowledgment of service, which is self explanantory. So if you got it yesterday, you have 14 days to do this. At that point you can take a further 14 days to file your defence, so 28 days in total.

It is not necessary for you to send a CCA and DPA request and it would be unwise to do so. Now that this is the subject of legal action, you can simply send the claimants a letter, requesting all that you require and giving them 14 days to provide it. Personally I would do this after you have filed your defence (trust me). All parties to a case are legally obliged to furnish info requested (provided its a reasonable request) that is relevant to the case. This is under the disclosure rules. So, if you did as I suggest and they didn't comply, you would send a letter to the Court with an application notice, stating that you are unable to file a counter-claim until the claimants furnish the info. You would ask the court to compel them to comply. The Judge might give them 7-14 days, if they failed to comply at that point, the Judge would probably throw out their case. So in terms of getting info, its much better to do it this way, it takes less time and if they don't comply you may get their case chucked

out!:D

In terms of the counter-claim, if you cannot file one due to a lack of info, then you would simply file it with an application notice, not forgetting (under any circumstances) to ask the court's permission to file the counter-claim in due course. You would simply explain in an accompanying letter, why you are filing it late. I filed a counter-claim in a case 4mnths after the other party started action, it was accepted because I was waiting for info and at that time I was new to things so went down the CCA DPA route, without needing to!:eek: You must always politely request things however, whatever you ask for is read by a Judge and they expect deference! Whatever you do, don't get on the wrong side of a Judge! So when in doubt, always ask for permission to do something!

So ask for a copy of the agreement, a deed of assignment (proves the debt's been sold) statements for the lifetime of the a/c. If you were pestered by B/Card and this company, ask for details of all calls made to your home/work numbers, frequency of calls (dates, times etc) any notes about discussions had with them, the tel numbers also for all depts involved in pursuing you, you get the picture... Get as much info as possible to build a case against them. If they've engaged in harassment, that is both a civil and criminal offence and you can claim compensation. You might even want to report them to the Police, when you've got the evidence!

Whatever you do don't leave this situation, if you fail to file a defence, they will win and you will have to pay up, that's the way it works, I'm afraid!

I hope this is helpful for you!

Laiste.:)

• Haha 1

Laiste, I shall bookmark this in case I am ever in this situation. Good advice.

Two questions (without hijacking the thread I hope). Stan said once the account is defaulted they can't charge interest which I also believed. However I have been defaulted by Barclays and they are charging me interest daily still.....

Secondly, he also mentioned DCAs are well known for taking people to court. I always believed it was fairly rare still. I'm assuming in this case it is because Burt999 stopped communicating completely with them?

• 4 weeks later...

no fear i presume you used a template letter from the forum giving them time to comply?

If so i would write back to them today, by recorded delivery confriming that the payment was for the CCA request and the lvel is set by statute. Are there any issues over acknowledgement of the debt?

are they after you to get you to acknowledge the debt at all or is it something which is current?

Glenn

Blackarain

they can charge interest until they choose otherwise in effect.

I cannot say whether its common or not, all i know is i have been threatened quite a few times and never been taken to court. i guess its a matter of how you deal with them largely as to what they do.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi folks,

There is some excellent advice on these pages and I really appreciate the time and effort people give to helping each other out an otherwise daunting and tricky situation. Indeed, it seems the best way to handle these DCA's is to be aware of the official process that need to be take and not to be tricked into an awkward spot.

That bring s me to my question which is very similar to burt999's.

I was contacted at work today (don't know how they obtained my number) by a chap called Joshua from HFO services. He informed me that I had defaulted on my Barclaycard credit card back in 2004 and that the current outstanding amount had reach little under £3000. Now, I do remember having a Barclaycard and I do remember I hand an outstanding amount. However, I though the amount outstanding was in the region of around £500. Joshua seemed unable to confirm the original amount that was passed on by Barclaycard to HFO.

He then offered me the following options 1) pay off the full amount now and receive a 13% discount or 2) agree an amount I can pay each month (he suggested 20%) and by agreeing to this he would freeze my interest but I would have to pay off the ful amount i.e. no 13% discount.

I am fully prepared to put right what I have done wrong (and put to bed the nightmares I've been having) but I am reluctant to part with near £3000 without substantial evidence showing the money owed is clearly (and legally) justified.

I informed Joshua that I needed time to contact Barclaycard to follow up the details. He has told me that I need to contact him tomorrow afternoon (Saturday).. is there any coincidence that Barclaycard credit department is closed on the weekends?

Any help any of you might have would be warmly welcomed. I have considered making myself bankrupt as I have no valuable possessions (car, house, etc...). I just want to do whats right and get this debt out of my life!

I am having my own problems with HFO at the moment, I have just found out that HFO Services, Turnbull Rutherford Solicitors and Ontrak Investigations are all part of the same company.

I was given a form by HFO that reads as follows:

It is our aim to work with you to clear your account as quickly and as efficiently as possible, and to that end please take careful note of the following charges which can be levied and are payable by you under your original terms & conditions of your original agreement.

Copy Invoice/Statement £15.00

Dishonoured Cheque Payment £15.00

Dishonoured BOS Payment £15.00

Cancelled BOS/Direct Debit £15.00

Missed Instalment Payment £30.00

Re-arranged Broken Payment £30.00

Additional interest from 12%p.a.

Office Trace Fee from £50.00

Field Trace Fee from £100.00

Personal Visit after broken promise £150.00.

Can anyone tell me are these fees legal?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, it is just HFO are evil and threatening and I would like to let everyone involved with HFO know about them.