Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

One more thing when your friend comes ask him to ring the credit card company, I know there is a way of reclaiming the money back, I have done it for a direct debit..................BUT please wait until I re-post on here, I will find out that information for you, and save you a sleepless night. Ask your friend to wait too. The bailiffs will use every under hand trick in the book, they play on ignorance and unfortunately, some people think because they are bailiffs they are the law.

cas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right i got some news to tell u firstly i paid the baliffs this morning what we owed them mainly cos of the above story it put the fear of god into me really did but guess what they charged a fee for it to pay it over the phone.Secondly the sar stuff came through today and ive not gone through it properly yet will do when ive had a rest been travelling but the jist of it is they have charged more than they were meant to ill put it on here tomorrow exactly what they charged so what now ?and im not sure about the going to police stations thingy cos ive bottled it on first round xxkia

Guest Molly1965

Cas you are an absolute DIAMOND!!

They did charge a surcharge on our friend paying by Credit Card - only £2 but still a surcharge :)

I think I'd like to try to get the debt wiped at the Bailiffs expense :wink: Which would give me a lot of satisfaction!! I'll get him to ask for a chargeback form immediately, and will send the letter to the the Bailiffs asking for a full breakdown of fees now as well. I think I'm going to make an official complaint to the Council Recoveries Officer at the same time and copy all correspondence with the Bailiffs to him as well - that way they will be less likely to continue to pursue the debt once I have recovered the monies and the Bailiffs will not be able to lie to them about their methods! Perhaps if the Councils are aware of this stuff they will be less eager to employ these cowboys to defraud other unsuspecting people.

Thank you so very much for finding that information for me - on top of everything else I started a new job this week, so I'm feeling a bit like a juggler with too many balls in the air at the moment and you have really helped me out :D :D :D

well thats us women multi tasking as usual i had a good luck at the sar from the baliffs seemingly ive been charged 85.00pounds in fees plus the fee for the debit payment im not totally convinced about doing the police root thing as ive gone down the wrong road before lately all my own doing of course so im not wanting to look a fool again but it is worth thinking about which i am doingxxkia

Guest Molly1965
well thats us women multi tasking as usual i had a good luck at the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) from the baliffs seemingly ive been charged 85.00pounds in fees plus the fee for the debit payment im not totally convinced about doing the police root thing as ive gone down the wrong road before lately all my own doing of course so im not wanting to look a fool again but it is worth thinking about which i am doingxxkia

It's definitely worth thinking about Kia - these b@stards lie, cheat and ride roughshod over other people's rights. They scared us witless with their mis-information and I'm a person who is normally pretty on top of my rights and not easily intimidated... at least I was able to find a source of help and advice in this Forum, albeit after the event, much as you were - but what about all the other people who they scare into paying like this and who aren't internet savvy, don't know where to get help and are too ashamed to ask? :( It makes me so MAD :mad: !!!

If you want to go down the police route then we could do it together, one step at a time as there is such a long time limit on doing it? That way we would both be at the same stage at the same time and can provide each other with moral support - as well as the support offered by the other Forum members :D :D :D

Edited to add that it would appear that of the two Bailiffs who visited me - one is not Certified and the other is Certified but not to work for Phoenix!!!!

Molly

I wish I could take the praise but it was someone else who posted that info on here, I only read it.

Kia

I knew you could do it, but remember time is the essence, act quick and swift!!!

Now for an update on mine.............those darling bailiffs charged me too much money in 2003............and kept it! So now I am going to kick butt BIGTIME.

I have received statements showing every payment I have paid and according to my council they have only received one third of them. So have an appointment on thursday to sit down with the council and go through the whole lot, then I will make an official complaint and hopefully newlyns will be history.

One more thing, in my local paper, under the public notices section it lists when a bailiff applies for a certificate, could we object to this if we know the bailiff is using underhand tricks?

I like the idea of giving them a bad day for a change

cas

X

One more thing, in my local paper, under the public notices section it lists when a bailiff applies for a certificate, could we object to this if we know the bailiff is using underhand tricks?

I like the idea of giving them a bad day for a change

Now I like the sound of that :-D. Hope its possible.

Now I like the sound of that :-D. Hope its possible.
well go on then whats the first step but if i bottle it dont shout at me im scared of involving police xxkia ps cas never really did owt feels like i sold out xx

http://www.dca.gov.uk/consult/distress/annb.pdf

Notice is hereby given that [name] of [business name and address] has applied to the

Judge at [ . . . . . . . . . ] county court for a Bailiff’s Certificate. Any person who knows

of a reason why [name] is not a fit and proper person to be granted a certificate

should write to the Court Manager at [name and address of county court] before [date

of hearing of application].

(Page 3) Hope it helps :)

ooooooooooh!!! I say

The bailiff concerned with mine is not up for renewal until 2009 and its at northampton.

We need someone in each area to monitor these, then we can tip each other off as to when they make the application for renewal.

ps cas never really did owt feels like i sold out xx

Kia

You never sold out, we are all nervous where the bailiffs are concerned, thats where they have to upper edge on us. They play on our ignorance, councils too, they'll chase and chase all the time they thinks theres a chance they will get money. I've never been a won't payer, but the council believe the bailiffs over me, and it takes a lot of guts to confront the council. I have to go for a meeting, om Thursday. The guy I'm meeting is probably 15 yrs old and has everything done for him by mummy, but he's got a nasty shock coming...............I'm making an official complaint, naming him, so theres one of life's little lesson back at him!!!

In the sun newspaper today...............newlyns are advertising for trainee bailiffs and heres the funny bit applicants "need good communication and negotiation skills" but they forgot the............... must be able to badger, bully and scare the life out of people.

cas

I wasnt at my home for the 2 months at the start of the year and came back to find a baliff's letter for money owed to Haringey Council from Newlyn PLC. I paid the council direct in full including court costs. As far as i am concerned my debt was with Haringey and it has been paid in full. Haringey Council say that they sent me a Liability Order, a claim which I refute as i have never received it and that they do not have to have proof of postage as in all probability I did receive this! I have got my MP involved, who has tried her best but has received no help from the Council who keep on saying the same thing which is I owe Newlyn £189.50. I today received a "Red" coloured letter from them saying "Final Notice - Bailiff Removal" informing me that they will be calling in the next few days to remove goods from my house. I have my car parked on my drive so am worried that they might take it as their red piece of paper tells me that can take it without me being there. Can anyone tell me where I stand please ? If I have to pay them, then I will take the option of paying over 24 months but after trying to call them and having a total bitch shout down the line at me and not listen to me I am loathed to give them didly squat!

this is a battle if the wills!!! Newlyns like charging sheds loads for minimal work...........pretty much the same with the councils. One avenue you could take is to complain to the senior revenues officer, althought as you have already got your MP on side and got no where this may be fruitless.

You could contact the court and ask when the liability order was made and then maybe this will help prove you was away at that time, therefore making it impossible for you to act within the liability order in the given time and finally what the hell has it got to do with Haringay council, ( i think I just answered that) I would contact the council and ask them how much was credited to your council tax account, maybe they have paid the bailiff, leaving you with an outstanding liability order, hence giving bailiffs more power, I think my council is doing this, as they can tell me what charges Newlyns have made against me!!!

You have not spoken to a bailiff in person? or signed anything presented to you by a bailiff?

The bailiffs are very good at pulling fast ones and maybe this is one of those times.

let us have an update and we'll see what else we can come up with

cas

Write a Subject Access Request to ask them to provide a full and detailed breakdown of the fees and charges applied to your account.

The visits should be £24.50 for a first visit, £18 for a second visit. Unless they have levied upon goods they cannot charge an Attedning to Remove fee which it would appear that they have charged.

The visits should be £24.50 for a first visit, £18 for a second visit. Unless they have levied upon goods they cannot charge an Attedning to Remove fee which it would appear that they have charged.

The bailiffs that are a pain in my life have claimed for a levy for a car that was parked outside my house (but was someone visiting a neighbour) and a satalite dish,(which the service provider tells me is worth peanuts) but have charged me 150 levy and enforcement fees.

I think they may have me on the satalite dish although the "peanuts" won't cover the debt. So does possessions levied have to represent a true reflection on the balance outstanding?

i.e 20 satalite dish = 465.00 council debt? I'm concerned that if this is the case then our hands are tied, they could levy against a bloody flower pot if this is the case.

cas

It is my understanding that if a bailiff cannot levy goods with enough value to cover the debt plus fees, he should not make a levy.

What if there are no goods to take?

When the bailiffs come into your home they may decide that your goods are not worth enough to cover their costs of coming out with a van and removing and selling them. If this is the case the bailiff will return the warrant to court with a note to say there are goods of insufficient value. The bailiffs should not take any further action.

Debt Factsheets - Reducing payments or suspending a Bailiff's Warrant on a County Court Judgment

can anyone help me with my problem? Had a bailiffturn up at the door on Thursday and demanding £1080 outstanding council tax bill. Obviously I said I didnt have it and he said in that case I need £200 as a deposit. To which I replied well I dont have that just now either. He said I have a week to get it to him. My husband phoned him when he got home from work and the lowest he will go to is £120 but my problem is that I dont work and my husband doesnt get paid for another 2 weeks yet. Is there any other way around this until he gets paid? Would be grateful for any advice anyone could give me. I didnt let the bailiff in the house if that helps anything?

Many thanks

Lesley

can anyone help me with my problem? Had a bailiffturn up at the door on Thursday and demanding £1080 outstanding council tax bill. Obviously I said I didnt have it and he said in that case I need £200 as a deposit. To which I replied well I dont have that just now either. He said I have a week to get it to him. My husband phoned him when he got home from work and the lowest he will go to is £120 but my problem is that I dont work and my husband doesnt get paid for another 2 weeks yet. Is there any other way around this until he gets paid? Would be grateful for any advice anyone could give me. I didnt let the bailiff in the house if that helps anything?

Many thanks

Lesley

The first thing I would do is to clarify how much is outstanding council tax and how much are bailiffs fees.

I would dispute the amount and send the Bailiffs an SAR, that way it "should" take them longer than two weeks, and whilst you are disputing it "should" put the account on hold.

You hav enoticed I have highlighted the shoulds, thats because bailiffs can be tricky...........make sure you send the SAR by recorded delivery, if he returns, saying he hasn't received it, wave the receipt under his nose THROUGH THE WINDOW, remember the golden rule, never, ever let him/her in your house.

Contact the council and explain the situation, ASK for your file to returned back to them, not many will but you can ask.

cas

hi Folks

i have read on here many wonderful ways of Dealing with Baliffs for council tax but unfortunatley im a dumbass (and wouldnt be in this mess if i wasnt) and im a tad confused whats best to do

i've attached a copy of the letter i got the other day, i did phone him and said i would pay it all by wednesday but then noticed the extra added on

any advice would be great

thanks

Ian

jacobs.doc

I am in a terrible dilema. I got into arrears with my 2006/2007 council tax. I started paying the council direct and then found out that because i had missed a couple of payments they had sent to bailiffs, rosendales. I tried to restart a payment plan with the council but they said they could no longer deal with it as it was with bailiffs. I then got letter from bailiffs and my amount i owed had gone from about £150 to £438. I explained to Rosendales office that i couldnt pay that amount in one go so they gave me tel. number of the bailiff who would be attending. I spoke to him and he said he would come round the following day. I STUPIDLY let him into property to discuss it and he left me a walking order. i offered to pay £20 a week off the debt but they said i had to pay £40 a week. I explained there was no way I could pay £40 but in the meantime i was paying what i could each week. Sometimes £20, sometimes £40 and so on. (and on a few weeks nothing as I had nothing).

I managed to get the oustanding amount down to £100 from October 2007 to date. However when i got back from school yesterday there was a letter saying they had attended in a van to remove goods and the debit was back up to £244. They wont accept a payment plan again and want full money or goods and are coming back tomorrow. I rang rossendales again this morning to find out if i should have got a warning letter that they wre attending in order to try and clear debt (£100) within seven days and they reckon they did send a letter in February. I explained i never received this letter and was told by some snotty woman that "thats not our problem". I am not sure what to do and because they have already been in can they force their way back in? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Edited by Threefields

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks