Council Tax and Bailiffs ref only - NO POSTS ALLOWED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You should really have started a new thread about this as you would be more likely to get a response.

Anyway, has the bailiff been into your house to levy goods? Have you signed a 'Walking Possession Agreement'?

If the bailiff has not levied any goods then you can refuse them entry and they cannot really do anything other than pass the debt back to the Council.

If the bailiff does have a right of entry into your home (because they have previously levied goods) then you will have to let them in or they could break the door open and let themselves in.

I know that certain groups of people are classed as 'vulnerable'. The fact you are a single parent and on income support means you will be classed as 'vulnerble' so be sure to stress that when the bailiff returns.

Before the bailiff returns you should ring your Council Tax department and tell them ths situation and tell them you are a single parent and on Income Support.

I assume the debt is from days when you were not on Income Support as anyone on Income Support will not have to pay Council Tax. If you have been paying Council for periods when you are on Income Suppoirt you need to get some forms form the Council to claim Council Tax benefit. You should also be getting benefit from the Council to pay your rent.

I hope that helps.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thermometer,

You're right I should have started a new thread which I have just done.

I didn't let the bailiff in or sign anything so I will ring the council first thing to try and sort it out before bailifs return and if no joy will give bailiffs a copy of letter from top of this thread.

If you need to reply please go to my new thread in the bailiff section so i don't get into trouble for a double thread :)

Thanks for your help.

Hi, 'Therm'.

As stated above, the first thing to do is to call the council first thing tomorrow morning.

If you're on income support the council should take this into consideration and recall the file from the bailiffs.

Should the bailiff return tomorrw, then under NO circumstances should you let her in!!

In my experience (albeit very limited) it really does boil down to the council and how far they will let the bailiffs push. Some will let the bailiffs go all the way (so to speak) and others will call off action when it's gone far enough.

Best of luck.

Tell your council that you are on income support as this means you no longer have an ongoing liability against you,also tell them that the bailiffs are demanding money that you haven't got and that their threatening behaviour is out of order.ask for the council take take back this debt and offer to set up a standing order every month to a sum you both agree on, usually this works as they will have a revenue going into their account. GOOD LUCK.

Hi, could this help me?

Rossendales have my bill now, its for approximately £850. They have not been in my house, when she came to the house we left her standing at the door, but she did ask my wife what possessions we had, tv etc.

We wrote to them offering to pay £10 per week, they refused this and said we must pay £80 per week. There is absolutely no way that we can afford to pay £80 per week. I rang and told them this and they told me to send another means test to them.

I kept paying £10 per week in order to show that I was willing to pay, so I wrote out the means test and put it in an envelope with a £10 postal order. They contacted me earlier this week saying they would send out a van to remove my goods unless I paid in full within 7 days. I rang them and told the lady on the phone that we had sent a means test to them and were waiting for a reply. She said they never recieved this. The best thing about this, is she acknowledged recieving the £10. I asked how could that be as they were in the same envelope, but she was adamant that they didn't recieve the means test.

She then said it would be quicker to give her a means test over the phone, so I did. Afterwards she said "your outgoings are as much as your incomings". I replied "Yes I know, thats why I can't afford to give you £80 per week." I really wanted to shout and scream at her as she was an arrogant *&^*. But I didn't, I stayed calm.

She then said I have to send proof that I am paying my other creditors the lowest amount they will allow and gave me 14 days to do this.

Is it too late for me to send a copy of this letter. The bill is in my wifes name and she is a bit worried about any consequences. Has anyone else tried this with rossendales and been successfull.

Thank you for any information, I really appreciate it.

Hi I have just submited by 1st post explaining my problem with Rossendale (didnt mention the name) I am at the moment paying £60.00 per week they wouldnt accept anything less and now they want another £60.00 for last years countil tax. We just cannot afford it as at the moment I carnt pay my electricity due to paying Rossendales. They said that £50.00 a week as enought to feed 5children and 2 adults a week!!!!! WHAT A JOKE

They said that £50.00 a week as enought to feed 5children and 2 adults a week!!!!! WHAT A JOKE

I have 2 children and my wife and our shopping bill is at least £100.00 a week,obviously your bailiff's are related to the smurf's, have they done a walking possession on you ?? if not phone your council and tell them that the amount your are required to pay them puts you below the goverment's basic needs allowance for you and your family. also phone up pappa smurf bailiff and ask him to explain how you can feed a family of seven on £50.00 i think it's a case of if wa_ _ers could fly they would be squadron leaders

hi i had the baliff come an silly me opened the door i said he wasnt coming in and he read the law that the court had ordered him to do a walking possion so i let him in i had to pay 205 there an then and i have to pay 105 for 7 months now i know am silly but i was really worried as i have a 4 mth old son and didnt want them coming back and takin my things

Firstly as your child is under 2 the baliff is restricted on what thay can take,secondly NO court orders bailiffs to do a walking possession they are talking total c_ _ p, and last but not least if this matter of debt is concerning council tax contact your council with regards to your bailiff's action's and ask them for a means test to be carried out this will establish as to whether or not you can afford to pay their monthly amounts.

GOOD LUCK

i sent to rossendale the template at the end of nov

i had not recieved a reponse so i paid the council via internet banking on two occasions . i recieved a letter rossendales from them ordering full payment within 7days -no offer of installment payments until they enforce the liabilty order.

does accepting the payment online defer legality back to the council

help please they could be knocking soon

also this is for biz rates for a ltd co that has ceased trading and no longer at the address it relates to .can they levy the directors goods at home on a this liability order .

please any one

Judi3 if the council have accepted your payments then this case must still be within their accounts,go to your council to make sure they are aware of the payments you have made and tell them you have been paying them as rossendales will not aknowledge you regarding a payment plan.if rossendales have yet to enforce a liability order against you then they certainly can't come and take your goods,take your letter rossendales gave you to the council and let them sort it out

GOOD LUCK

Hi i have been having problems with the council and bailiffs now for 6 months , the bailiffs currently have a walking possesion order ( my son opened the door) , when they came in they issued me with further unpaid council tax bills to which i have been trying to show the council i do not owe these debts as i was on benefits at the time of these debts. The council are still adament i owe these debts, i have proof that i dont , i have sent a letter to bailiffs to offer to pay 10.00pw i had a reply back stating that i have to pay 30.00 pw this i cannot afford as i am a single parent and a student on low income, i have now had another letter stating that enforcement officer will be visiting my home , please can u explain forceable entry , can they break my door down ? can they employ a lock smith ? can i bolt my door from inside? ..... I have also written to my local counciller who is looking in to this for me , can i apply to the court to have a hearing with them to prove i do not owe these debts???

any help would be appreciated

Can anyone help?

I have received a letter from a bailiff regarding none payment of council tax.I have just contacted Manchester Council and talked to a very helpfull gentleman (yea right)and he said that I can not make any offer of payment other than payment in full.This bill relates to the year 2000 / 2001 when I ran a pub as a manager. the first bill was sent to my current address in september 06!!! and as I did not respond they sent it direct to the bailiffs.Any ideas anyone???????

cheers

Marcus

Guest Herbie

Go to the main page for Bailiffs. You will see the Pink headline saying BANK CHARGES.....WHISTLEBLOWER. To the left on that you will see THREADS IN FORUM, above that NEW THREADS ...Good Luck

Hi all, I am new to this forum but would like to ask the following question.

I have been paying a council tax bill by £150 a month to Rossendales. They recently came up with another amount from the Council Tax and demanded payment. Originally this was £250. I sent them a letter saying that I would like to add this amount to the debt that I was already paying as I would find it virtually impossible to pay any more. I also gave them the information that they already had on my incomings/outgoings(they already hold proof of this from the previous account.) This letter was posted by recorded delivery.

Instead of receiving a reply to this they just sent me another letter demanding that I pay or I will have my goods removed. They also added another £110 to the amount I owed.

I replied to this letter, once again, by recorded delivery saying that at most, I could only afford to pay another £20 a month on what I was already paying.

Once again, they ignored this and instead sent a bailiff around to remove my goods. Luckily, I was out at the time, but he pushed a letter through my door saying that I now had to pay the full amount of both bills amounting to £1900 within 7 days or he would be around again to remove goods. Oh, by the way, he had once again added £110 to the amount.

In the letter he pushed through the door it was stated as follows:- "I have signed walking possession. Removal will be done in you absence if necessary"

Is he allowed to do this? I have signed nothing. Can he sign the walking possession himself and is he allowed entry in my absence? From all the information I am reading I believe he is not. However, as this final date is the 30th of this month I would like to make sure. I am also sure that these charges are excessive.

Hi i was wondering if any one could give me some advice , i had jacobs certificated baliffs call the other day and they gave me 2 removal of goods notices for council tax arrears , i did not let this man in nor did i sign any papers, i explained that i had been on benifits since 2000 and got full benifit , the arrears occured so im told because my father in law moved in my home in 2005 from hospital after suffering a stroke he was in reciept of incapacity benifit and i informed them by telephone he was staying, and heard nothing else . Sometime later i needed a copy of my council tax statement for id reasons and when i called into the local office to collect it i was told i had arrears on my account due to my father in law being at my house i explained the situation ect and they said he should have shown then bank statements and because he hadnt they put him down as earning £999 per week which resulted in my benifit being stopped (not that i was told this at the time). i explained that he could hardly talk and understand things due to his stroke let alone give me access to his bank statements ect , i asked if they could look into his benifits ect to find all the info out and they left it at that . But now this man has told me this money is owed by me as the house ect is in my name and will not accept a weekly payment and he is coming back in a few days to collect payment in full, i do not have the money to pay him and told him this and he said that i would have to find it, and if i didnt he would take belongings from outside myhouse if he cant get in, im not saying that no money is owed as my father in law was on incapcity but surely not full rate , my father in law no longer lives here and i have been left to bear the burden now. i have asked the council to call off the bailiff and look into this again and i will pay any money thats owed when they have but at a weekly rate , there reply was its up to the baliff now and they cant help me . im just wondering if any one had any ideas how to stop this man or what i should write in a letter to get them to at least listen to me

Hi

I cant see how you are being chased for arrears,firstly you say that you are in receipt of benefits so that makes you not liable for council tax, secondly you state that you father in law was also in receipt of incapacity benefits which would mean that had did not have savings of a value otherwise he would not have obtained benefits.

As for the bailiff stating he has a warrant for removal of goods he or she is talking c _ _p, just trying to call your bluff. My advice to you is (1) see the citizens advice and tell them your position and the circumstances concerning benefits you were both in receipt of (2) go back to the council and ask them to explain to you how you are liable when they are aware were both on benefits (3) tell the jobsworth bailiff that you have now asked for the case to be investigated by the citizens advice and the council,and until a true and proven answer is given any items removed will be treated as theft and the police will be informed ;)

GOOD LUCK

Guest Herbie

Before the situation getting this far, the local authority must have been sending you letters to say that you were in arrears with Council Tax.

After this you should have received a notification that the case was going to be sent to the Magistrates Court for a Liability Order.

The next step would be BY LAW that the local authority must give you 14 days notice that they have received a Liability Order and that the debt will be snt to the bailiffs.

Did you receive any of these notices....if not then you must go to the local authority and insist that this is sorted ou and that they must instruct the bailiff to cease all action until this is sorted.

Your father was receiving Incapacity. This DOES NOT mean an automatic right to other benefits.......he may of had a large amount of savings.etc.....(probably not in this case)

In any event, if you are still receiving benifits you must ask the local authority for a form so that any arrears...if there are any....can be deducted at source from your Income Support at the Statutory rate of £2.90 per week.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice! please.

I went to pick the post up from my old house as i had moved out some months ago! and i had a letter about my CT of 1200 and the council are puting it to Magistrates Court for a Liability Order! well i got a letter saying it was going to court on the 22/12/06........well i went back to the old house last week to see if there was any more post, just 1 or 2 letters and one of them was from the Bailiffs, the letter they have sent me is a REMOVAL NOTICE!? why? i dont know as this is the frist letter i have had of them about the CT,

The letter reads>>>

As i have received no satisfactory response to my earlir communications, i am left with no alternative but to call at your premises, to seize your goods for sale at Public Auction.

letter was dated 8th Mar.

But this is the only letter i have had of them..........unless the new guy in my old house as bind the letters.!

like i said i moved out some months ago, but im now on Benefits? where do i stand as to paying this!? OR what should i do Next?

Thanks........

Hi, in the first instance i would ring them and explain your current situation. As you are on benefits im sure there is a maximum that they can expect you to pay back. Make sure they have your leaving date right and it may well be that the amount you owe is far less than what they are asking for.

Good luck

Guest Herbie

If you are receiving Income Support. you can apply to have the amount deducted at source at the rate of £2.90 per week. This is the maximum amount that they can deduct. You need to contact the local authority on Tuesday and explain the situation to them and they will provide you with the forms to complete.

Any problems, please post to this forum.

Hi, in the first instance i would ring them and explain your current situation. As you are on benefits im sure there is a maximum that they can expect you to pay back. Make sure they have your leaving date right and it may well be that the amount you owe is far less than what they are asking for.

Good luck

If you are receiving Income Support. you can apply to have the amount deducted at source at the rate of £2.90 per week. This is the maximum amount that they can deduct. You need to contact the local authority on Tuesday and explain the situation to them and they will provide you with the forms to complete.

Any problems, please post to this forum.

Thank you so much for your advice guys, I will let you know how i get on......good or bad, but lets hope its good!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks