Sols letter for old P2P debt

HP Mum

I received a letter in post yesterday. Out the blue.  From a solicitor asking for me to repay £s lent to me by someone personally & unsecured - a long time ago: i.e 10y.  No payments were ever made. The loan has never been chased. Until now.  The solicitor has added 10y of interest on the loan.  

The letter was addressed to my registered address, but forwarded elsewhere by RM.   I don't live there.  The property is subject to lengthy litigation for >5y.  I'm no longer in possession but am disputing all sorts of issues.  I have no job, income, savings or other assets.  The loan cannot be charged against any property.

Do I simply reply with a short truthful statement  based on what I relate above? Or do I add anything about it being 10y ie is it SB?

Shall I call and tell the sols?  Or just send a letter? 

For transparency it was a friend who lent the £s and I'm still friendly with the family, which makes it awkwardly embarrassing. 

This makes me less inclined to be super formal. 

A member of the family said that they are chasing all sorts of old sums lent out. 

They also know my situation. 

Which makes me think someone in their 'firm' has just been told to try chase everyone on a list. 

The situation I'm in was never supposed to happen.

They've been very supportive over the last 5y. 

I just can't repay the loan.

send them our sb letter from the debt collection library

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Was just re-reading the Sols letter.  They refer to section 35a of the senior courts act 1981 which, when I read up on this, says they are entitled to claim interest at 8%.  They have calculated this % for 10y.   I assume my position that the loan sum is SB - due to no £ payments ever made or claimed in the 10y period - still stands ??

• dx100uk changed the title to Sols letter for old P2P debt