Staff Pass Misuse - TfL SJPN

not a wise idea...as a court summons could be next then bailiffs.

whats it for please?

a car you didn't update your V5C on when you recently moved? re:so some form of traffic offence poss?

or could it be a travel pass issue that you were not supposed to be using?

i will guess the latter .....you got stopped by an inspector recently i bet.

moved to the public transport forum.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello, welcome to CAG.

I agree with dx, if this is a court summons you shouldn't ignore it. The court would find you guilty in your absence and the consequences would build from there.

Is it definitely a court summons? It would help if you post a pdf of their letter please, with your personal details covered up.

You can negotiate with TfL up to and including any court date and on the day, you can speak to the TfL prosecutor to ask for an out of court settlement.

Please let us see the correspondence.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

i used a staff pass

they don't know i don't live at the address the letter was sent to, my dad could return to sender, so technically i never received the letter.

My sister in law works for TFL and told me not to respond but return to sender especially since i don't live there.

I am unable to get the letter to show now

also my last name is different from whats on the letter

Do you know why they would have the wrong surname?

It sounds as if TfL have contacted your sister about this. They take misuse of staff passes very seriously, as I understand it, and I'm thinking she should contact her union rep in case she's in trouble over lending her pass.

It's difficult to advise you further without seeing the letter [cover up your personal details, address, etc]. Are you able to get hold of a copy of it please?

HB

Are you sure it's a summons? They are rarely used these days. More likely to be a "Single Justice Procedure Notice."

But it doesn't matter. What you are considering is unwise. Anybody sending documents associated with legal proceedings has only to prove they were sent to the recipient's last known address. So long as they do that it is deemed "served". As for the name discrepancy, where did TfL get your name from?

Hiding away from these things is never a good idea.

• Like 1

Yes it a SJP letter, similar to what others have posted.

The name of the person on the letter no longer exists legally, it’s my maiden name and the address is incorrect.

What’s the worst that can happen?

Whatever decision they make I won’t receive or know about it

2 minutes ago, mariaabs85 said:

I know but what’s the worst that can happen? 

What we said earlier.

ETA: And, as I said earlier, this will come back to your sister and I imagine she'll be called to a meeting about it. TfL, as I also said, take misuse of staff passes very seriously and it could threaten her job.

Another question - how many times did you use the card? They can check back on its history.

HB

52 minutes ago, mariaabs85 said:

The name of the person on the letter no longer exists legally, it’s my maiden name and the address is incorrect. 

That is not correct. You continue to exist as the same legal person whatever name you call yourself and irrespective of whether you change your name on marriage.  "The SJPN was in my maiden name" will not work as a defence.

• dx100uk changed the title to Staff Pass Misuse - TfL SJPN
1 hour ago, mariaabs85 said:

I know but what’s the worst that can happen? 

The worst? The worst rarely happens. Right now a court hearing, ticket prices, costs, possible criminal record and anything consequential to that.Potential repercussions for any staff member involved.
Like I say, the worst doesn't happen as much as people might think.

But it is always made worse when compounded by other offences. For example, providing false details or no details when under caution. Occasionally, if it goes to court, this might be considered as an attempt to pervert the course of justice.

(Note that change of names due to marriage, divorce etc. are matters of public record and easily discoverable—sorry.)

So, really, your best bet is to avoid a court case, no?

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

So your relative got you a pass of your own or you used their staff one?

HB

I think @mariaabs85 might mean that a family member works for TfL and that staff member is in turn allowed to nominate a named member of the same household an ancillary pass.

So I gather it is the nominee pass the OP has been using rather than the staff pass itself.

Some essential clarity would help us help the OP. Although, to be fair, when their opening post asks for advice on breaking the law—! 😬

Edited by Grotesque
stray apostr'

2 hours ago, mariaabs85 said:

My sister in law works for TFL and told me not to respond but return to sender especially since i don't live there.

really, should know better than that working for them....

have you got the original letter from TfL about the incident a few months ago? where is that?

you should have responded with a begging letter via email to TfL trying to get an OOC settlement .

how many times have you used the staff pass?

would there be a pattern to the use?

it's very important you interact by answering these questions else this could cost you not far short of a £1000 fine in total if you continue to ignore everything and not ACT.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The worst that can happen, should you continue to ignore this, is that you will be convicted and sentenced in your absence.

What the sentence may be is a little difficult to say as you have not told us what offence you have been charged with. There are a number of possibilities, including offences under TfL bylaws up to fraud (a criminal offence which can carry a custodial sentence). You will be informed by post (at the same address as the one you gave) and if you ignore that, enforcement action will be taken against you. This may see bailiffs or enforcement officers attempting to enforce any financial penalties and may ultimately end in your arrest (again, depending on the sentenced imposed).

TfL take the abuse of staff passes very seriously and rarely offer out-of-court settlements. In any case the time for that has long passed and since you seem intent on trying to evade the matter entirely and are  unwilling to engage with them anyway, the likelihood of it happening now is even smaller. 

• Like 4
  • I agree 1

• 1 month later...