Implications of garage plus lighting on property lease

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We recently took out a lease on a terraced house that states the garage is not included.  The landlords have now emptied the garage of their possessions and are renting it out privately.

However, as half the length of the garage occupies the private garden of the house, I understand that there is a portion of council tax that can be deducted and liability lies with the garage rental.  In addition, the lighting in the garage is connected to the main house.

What are the implications of all this to the legal tenants of the house?

I suppose it really depends on the tenancy agreement – but I can't for a moment believe that the tenants should be responsible for the electricity supply to the garage.
What is it in the tenancy agreement – I would be making immediate moves to have the supply disconnected or separately metered.

The best thing to do would be to have the supply disconnected and then the landlords can set about opening held in their own name – but of course you will then immediately fall out with your new landlords.

I would certainly contact the council and get them to inspect the property and make it clear to them that you do not have access to the garage you don't have any responsibilities and you are not a tenant in respect of the garage and that therefore they should amend their council tax assessment accordingly and that they should levy council tax on the landlord.