New tenancy agreement Wales

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

We have lived in private rented accommodation for the last 7 years. When we moved in in 2016 we had an assured shorthold tenancy agreement which I believe required the landlord to give at least 2 months notice to leave. 

Now that the new laws have come into place in Wales we have been issued a new contract in line with the new rules. It is called a Fixed Term standard occupational contract . It's very lengthy but as I understand, the landlord now has to give at least 6 months notice to leave. Is this true even though we have been here for 7 years and haven't only just moved in? The new agreement we signed started on the 1st June.  

Can anyone clarify please? Also, I understand a fixed term contract means just that - so what happens after the "fixed term" and how long is the "fixed term" for? The landlord has told us that this contract with give us more rights and I have no reason to believe that he intends on asking us to leave, I just worry a lot and need to understand our rights as tenants. Just to add, in the contract it states "Term: From 1st June 2023 to (gap left blank) and thereafter from month to month."

Edited by thedryad
Added information.

It also states in the contract This is a fixed term contract for the term below, and it becomes periodic unless either a further fixed term is agreed, or the contract comes to an end"
But there's no fixed term end date anywhere in the agreement. 

I am not familiar with Welsh tenancy law but the contract has clearly been issued without the end date being entered where it should have been. So I'd ask the LL to reissue with it the end date filled in. At this stage, unless you have evidence to the contrary, I would assume that it is just a drafting oversight that the LL will be happy to correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This is the link to the Welsh Government Guidance on the New Standard Occupational Contracts: (Note it actually answers the questions you are asking)

WWW.GOV.WALES

This guidance helps to explain the meaning of the terms included in occupation contracts.

• Like 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group