• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Evri swapped label off £1400 Apple Macbook Pro+ Case - PAPLOC - now clamform **SETTLED BY EVRI BEFORE HEARING**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 92 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am new to forums and so please forgive me if I am not posting in the right section but I am after some advice please on a current ongoing situation that I have with Evri.

On Monday 20th February at 20.46 I had posted a Macbook Pro 14" Laptop and Laptop Case to a buyer who had purchased the laptop and case for £1400 via ebay. I took a photo of the parcel (packaged in a large "gourmet" cat food box) that I sent to my Local Budgens via the Evri counter as it was scanned by the cashiers EVRI PDA. 

On Wednesday 22nd February at 10:21 the buyer submitted a money back request via ebay. I was surprised at this and so I logged in to my ebay account to find that the buyer had received a rivet gun!!! I started to panic as I believe I had been scammed by the buyer or the courier 

when I looked at Evri's delivery photo of the parcel that they take with their PDA, It was a completely different parcel delivered. This parcel was a long and thin cardboard box! Nothing like the parcel that I had sent. The buyer had sent ebay photos of the rivet gun that he had received.

Upon closer inspection of the photos provided by the buyer, I could see that although it was my shipping label on the rivet gun parcel, you can clearly see that the shipping label had been lifted in the bottom right hand corner and applied to the rivet gun parcel. Obvious signs of tampering. 

I reported this to the police as a theft the same day and I was given a reference number whilst a crime reference number is generated.

Ebay sided with the buyer

- did not ask for the mountains of evidence that I had acquired to prove that I did not send the rivet gun parcel even though, I had mentioned them to contact me directly for my supporting information. Upon speaking to ebay, they said that this was a natural part of their policy and that I should accept the return of the rivet gun.

Naturally I protested this as I believed it was an admission of guilt however I was advised that I was contractually obliged to follow this process and once the rivet gun had been sent to me from the buyer, I could then raise a dispute as "item not received". I was advised to trust the process and that Ebay would pay me from their own pocket if this gets to the appeals stages. Ebay ruled in the buyers favour under their money back guarantee.

I had to raise an appeal. The Ebay appeals team on at least 3 occasions over the phone had said to me that I had won the appeal and that I would be paid the money out of Ebay's own pocket. It seemed that because I had raised this issue as a theft with the Police, this gave Ebay grounds to pay me for the sold value of the laptop (£1400 + 7 postage).

I had informed Evri of the issue on 22nd and got the usual chatbot/ bog standard responses. I wanted to pursue all avenues to either obtain a payout from Ebay or compensation from Evri.

I contacted my local Budgens for CCTV footage and photos of me dropping off the macbook parcel. Budgens confirmed over email that I had indeed sent the parcel that I had described and that the courier collected the parcel from their premises Midday on Tuesday 21st February as per their CCTV footage.

Due to GDPR, they would not provide me with CCTV footage as their was a cashier in the video. They did provide me with video footage that I was in the queue with the Macbook parcel. But this file was corrupted. Budgens did provide evidence of my parcel being stored safely behind their till and could confirm the theft did not take place on their premises.

It seems that the theft took place after Evri collected the parcel from Budgens to delivering the parcel to the buyer.

I chased Evri again on the 10th March this time providing evidence and timestamps of the parcel that I sent along with the reference number provided by the Police.

On Sunday 19th March, I received an email from ebay stating that I lost the appeal! I was surprised as I had been informed verbally when I spoke to Ebay that I had won the appeal.

Few phonecalls later over the next few days, I received confirmation over the phone with Ebay that they would not offer me a payout as it is the fault of the courier and they should be pursued for compensation.

During this period, still receiving bog standard responses from Evri until Thursday 23rd March Evri responded and confirmed that the parcel is “lost” and therefore I should make a claim via Packlink for compensation.

I essentially responded to say that I am within my rights to pursue and Evri and not Packlink for my compensation.

I received a response from Evri on 24th stating that the claim must go through Packlink who will then contact Evri for the compensation.

Feel that I am being fobbed off with nonsense.

Now that the avenue of receiving the payout with Ebay has come to a close. I am pursuing Evri for the costs of the stolen laptop. When purchased the laptop costed £2155.00 and the laptop case £29.99.

I would like to pursue them for the full amount and for time lost with my family for having to spend my evenings/weekends pursuing this and also for the tremendous amount of stress and anxiety this has caused me. I even had to beg the buyer on ebay to retract his negative feedback as his feedback resulted in a number of bid retractions on other items that I had for sale on ebay. I have had to change all my listings on ebay to “collection only” as I am now frightened to post anything via courier because of this experience.

The police emailed me on Thursday 2nd March stating that if Evri classes this as a theft, then they can investigate further but I should pursue Evri for compensation.

I apologise if this is too long and boring to read but I wanted to give you the full picture of what is going on. If you need to see the photos/evidence of what I have I would be pleased to post them on here.

My questions at this point are:

1.     Can I pursue Evri via legal channels for the full cost of the laptop and laptop case?

2.     What are the next steps for me to escalate this with Evri?

3.     Could you point me in the right direction of where I would locate useful tools to assist in pursuing Evri?

4.     May I have your assistance so that I may be bolder and more confident in pursuing evri for Compensation?

5.     Do I have to submit a compensation claim via Packlink?

Please let me know if need specifics such as did I take insurance out, what did I declare as the value of the item on Evri’s website etc.

Thank you for your time.

Mickdundee99

• dx100uk changed the title to Ebay/Evri £1400 Apple Macbook Pro+ Case - postal label swapped to a different parcel containing a rivet gun!!

moved to the correct forum.

the courts wont give compo for hurt feelings and stress etc, and neither will you be able to claim for the full price of the laptop/case, you can only claim for the sold value + postage.

there are 1000's of like threads here against evri.

go read a good few 10's of them

and pop up a letter of claim like you see in other threads here and well help fine tune it.

how did ebay get their money out of you

did you have an ebay balance or did they suck it from your bank account via your debit card?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello Dx,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Understood regarding sold cost + postage. I wish I could put in a claim for the time I have put in to researching and chasing Evri/Ebay as it has taken up many hours of my free time but I would just be pleased in retrieving sold cost + postage from Evri as I am still paying £89 per month from when I purchased the laptop with still over £1300 left.

I will go and so some homework on this forum so that I can become more confident in taking on Evri. I will post a draft letter of claim and will appreciate any support/advice that you can provide.

When I sold the laptop and case, the buyer paid ebay and they placed the funds in a holding account for about 2 days and so when the buyer received the item and marked the item as not received with ebay, ebay held on to the funds and would not release the funds to me until the dispute is resolved. When ebay sided with the buyer as buyers are protected under the money back guarantee, the funds were refunded back to the buyer and so I am without the laptop and without the funds for the laptop. 

Thank you.

We can help you get your money back. However, we are a self-help forum and we will guide you all the way, but you will have to make sure that you understand all the principles and that you are confident about what you are doing.

Please start off by reading up as many of the stories on the subform as you can manage over a couple of days or so .

You will certainly need to concentrate on any case where there is a discussion about the rights of third parties. We have lots of them here.

Also it's not clear to me whether you bought their so called insurance or not. Please can you let us know. 

When you do your reading please pay attention also to stories involving insurance and especially those where the EVRi customer has not bought insurance and how we have advice them on that particular point.

As you do your reading, you will soon understand that you will only be able to recover sale price of the items that you have sold plus your courier fees plus any court costs that you incur if you have to bring an action .

You almost certainly will have to bring an action. You will understand from your reading that EVRi plays a game where by they raise obstacles in your way in order to discourage you and to put you off.

We will help you deal with all of this, but it is important that you do the reading.

What you should do immediately is to write a letter of complaint to EVRi and make it clear that you want all of your money back and that you will not proceed against packlink because they are based in Spain.

Make a clear that you hold EVRi responsible and that it is clear that one of their employees has stolen your property.

Tell them that if you have to go to court that you will rely on your third party rights.

Get cracking. Don't hang around

Hello Bankfodder.

Thank you for your advice. 

I can confirm that I did not purchase the insurance. The postage label was printed on ebay who use Packlink.

Do you require a draft of the letter of complaint before I send? Also, do you mean a physical letter with proof of postage or email? Is there a particular person and address that this letter or email should be addressed too? 

Apologies for so many questions - I want to ensure I get this right. I imagine that once I delve deeper in to the forum these questions will likely be answered.

I will immerse myself with the discussions and content on this forum. It may take a week as I will have to wrap my research around my parent duties.

No we don't need to see a draft of the initial complaint letter. Send it off by email if you can. Don't set any deadlines but that is no any response and after about seven days anyway you should be sending the letter of claim.

Prepare the letter of claim and post the draft here. But do the reading. Lots of reading – very important

Evri is a terriable company, I would not use them to post an expensive item. I did sell mobile phone on Ebay before and always use Royal Mail special delivery: yes, it's more expensive, but the profit from expensive item can easily cover few pound difference, and I had never got an issue, zero return from customers. If I sell cheap item, then yes, I will consider both RM and EVRI, however I will try to avoid EVRI, they are a pain. If I were you, I will definitely prepare a letter of claim 

royal mail/parcel farce click and drop is far cheaper.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello everyone,

Just to update you on where I'm at currently. I sent the complaint email to Evri yesterday evening.

They responded today with what looks like the usual nonsense response they have given to other users on this forum.

Thank you for getting in touch with your enquiry regarding parcel xxxxxxxxx.

I’m sorry to hear that you have experienced a problem with this delivery and I can appreciate how frustrating this situation must be for you and your recipient.

I can see that you purchased the shipping label for this parcel via Packlink. While your parcel was sent using the Evri network, Packlink are regarded as the carrier in this situation as they provided you with the shipping label. This means that any claims for parcels which have become lost, damaged or delivered late will need to go directly to them so they can discuss the appropriate next steps with you. I have added a useful link below to assist you:

Packlink Help Centre: https://support.packlink.com/hc/en-gb

When we deliver for a retailer we have agreements in place to help customers as quickly as possible in these circumstances. Speaking directly with them will help you resolve this and they can make any further arrangements necessary, which may include a replacement or a refund.

This is because we don't hold any transactions details or any financial details for you, we only receive the instructions on the delivery from the retailer, which means i am unable to fix this for you from my side. im so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused  you.

Please be assured that we take these matters very seriously and I apologise for your recent poor experience and the inconvenience this has caused. If you need any further help or experience any further problems with your courier, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

I have drafted a letter of claim which I will post on here for feedback.

To: EVRi Parcel Net Limited trading as Evri

Capitol House

1 Capitol Close

Morley

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS27 0WH

Tuesday 4th April 2023

LETTER OF CLAIM

Parcel Reference Number: XXXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

On Monday February 20th at 20:46 I used your courier services to deliver a Macbook Pro laptop and a Spiggen Macbook Pro laptop case to be delivered to a buyer who purchased the laptop through www.ebay.co.uk.

When the parcel arrived to the buyer on Wednesday 22nd February at 10:21, the postage label from my laptop parcel had been swapped on to another parcel where the contents delivered were a rivet gun.

The postage label that I had placed on the laptop parcel had been provided by ebay via Packlink.

In order to refund the buyer for the cost of the Macbook pro laptop and Spiggen laptop case, the buyer posted the rivet gun to me where I had to pay for the postage label.

The postage label that was applied to rivet gun to be sent to me had been provided by ebay via Royal Mail.

I am pursuing Evri for the full amount of costs as Packlink are based in Spain. Under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as I am entitled to do so and hold Evri liable for the theft of my property – Apple Macbook Pro laptop and Spiggen Macbook Pro laptop case.

Sold value of Apple Macbook Pro £1400 (This amount also includes the transaction fee of: £180.46 from ebay).

Postage to deliver Macbook Pro laptop and Spiggen laptop case to buyer via Evri: £7.46

Postage for buyer to sent rivet gun via Royal Mail: £3.35

Total amount owed: £1410.81

As you have failed to reimburse me for the full amount, I hereby inform you that I will be to commencing a county court claim against yourselves 14 days from the date of this letter if I have not received a full reimbursement for the total amount. No further notice will be given to you.

Your Sincerely.

Apologies about the lack of paragraphs, It did not format correctly when I pasted it on to the forum

OK send the letter.

By the way, do you have details of the weight and dimension of the parcel that you sent and the weight and dimensions of the parcel which was received?

While you are waiting for the 14 days to elapse, register with the MoneyClaim on line County Court website and start preparing your claim. Post your draft particulars of claim here for us to see.

Be in no doubt that you will have to issue the claim. Get ready to do it on day 15

Thank you for reviewing Bankfodder. When do you advise that I send the letter of claim? today or from 7 days from the complaint email I sent? (that should make it Tuesday 4th April) 

I do not have the dimensions of the parcel that I sent (macbook and case). I do have the a picture of the box as it was scanned by the cashier with the Evri scanner and so the timestamp of my photo matches their tracking information. I also have photos of the laptop parcel provided by Budgens CCTV behind their till. The parcel weighed 3.3 kg but the label showed between 3-5 kgs. When the rivet gun was sent to me by the buyer the postage label showed this as weighing 0-2 kgs. Now that I have the rivet gun parcel, I can obtain the dimensions of this. You can clearly see from the photos it is a completely different parcel. My parcel was wide and thick in a "gourmet" cat food cardboard box. The rivet gun was a long and thin plain cardbox with the tampered postage label. What really helps is that the delivery photo on Evri's website shows the rivet gun parcel being handed to the buyers hands!

I will take a look at MCOL and particulars of claim and get on with it. I will have to do some research on this. I don't suppose that you have any links that could point me in the right direction? Not a dealbreaker if you do not as I can always navigate the forum.

Thank you.

Send the letter of claim on 4 April as you suggest

Good evening all,

I have drafted a particulars of claim. Please peruse when convenient and let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Particulars Of Claim

Item Declared: Apple Macbook Pro 14” laptop and Spiggen laptop case For Macbook Pro laptop.

Sold value of laptop and laptop case £1400

Evri delivery fee £7.46

Royal mail fee for buyer to send rivet gun to me £3.35

Damages for conversion of claimant's property – not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court

Total claim £1410.81 (recalculate this if you want to add the conversion damages)

The claimant used the defendants courier service to deliver an item to the value of £1400 to a UK address. Evri parcel reference number: H0067A0135578550.

The Defendant breached the contract by allowing their employees to steal the parcel that was sent by the claimant and switch the parcel for a low value rivet gun.

The claimants parcel appears to have been the subject of a theft as it was replaced by a different parcel containing a rivet gun and the original parcel label had been removed from the claimant's parcel and affixed to the parcel containing the rivet gun.

So far The defendant has refused to reimburse the claimant directly for the full amount.

The defendant is clearly in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in that they have failed to carry out their contractual obligations with reasonable skill and care

The claimant is relying upon their rights of third parties under the Contracts (Rights Of Third Parties) Act 1999 to pursue defendant for the full amount to reimbursed as the defendant has advised to pursue organisation Packlink. An organisation that is based in Spain outside of UK Jurisdiction.

The claimant is pursuing the defendant for the full amount of costs under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as I am entitled to do so and hold the defendant liable for the theft of my property – Apple Macbook Pro laptop and Spiggen Macbook Pro laptop case.

Furthermore, the apparent theft of the claimant's property was committed, on the balance of probability, by a person working for the defendant.

This amounts to the tort of conversion contrary to the Interference with Goods Act 1977

The claimant seeks the sold value of the stolen item £1400 + postage costs £7.46 + postage costs £3.35 plus interest pursuant to Section 69 – County Courts Act 1984 plus damages for conversion not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court.

Edited by BankFodder
Edits in red

I suggested also that you add on £250 for the tort of conversion.

It's up to you whether you want to go that route. Also when the DQ arrives I would suggest that you refuse mediation and have the matter settled at trial before a judge.

Let us know what you want to do

Bankfodder, I cannot thank you enough for adding your suggestions to my particulars of claim.

I have added the tort of conversion amount to my particulars.

I have no interest in accepting mediation at Directions Questionnaires, as I have read of the appalling behaviour and tactics Evri have used upon claimants and even not showing up at all for mediation.

Appreciate that there is a risk that the court could make me pay for certain costs as a result of refusing mediation.

However, I will point out to the court at trial or earlier if I have the opportunity to do so (will require advice if I can mention this earlier) that I believe it would be a waste of the courts time and resources to agree to mediation with an organisation that has a track record of not attending mediation.

Please see my draft for the particulars of claim which now include your suggestions Bankfodder. Thank you.

Particulars Of Claim

Item Declared: Apple Macbook Pro 14” laptop and Spiggen laptop case For Macbook Pro laptop.

Evri delivery fee £7.46

Damages for conversion of claimants property – not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court

Total claim £1660.81

The claimant used the defendants courier service to deliver an item to the value of £1400 to a UK address. Evri parcel reference number: H0067A0135578550.

The Defendant breached the contract by allowing their employees to steal the parcel that was sent by the claimant and switch the parcel for a low value rivet gun.

The claimants parcel appears to be a subject of a theft as it was replaced by a different parcel containing a rivet gun and the original parcel label had been removed from the claimants parcel and affixed to the parcel containing a rivet gun.

The defendant has refused to reimburse the claimant directly for the full amount.

The defendant is clearly in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in that they have failed to carry out their contractual obligations with reasonable skill and care.

The claimant is relying upon their rights of third parties under the Contracts (Rights Of Third Parties) Act 1999 to pursue defendant for the full amount to reimbursed as the defendant has advised to pursue organisation Packlink. An organisation that is based in Spain outside of UK Jurisdiction.

The claimant is pursuing the defendant for the full amount of costs under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as I am entitled to do so and hold the defendant liable for the theft of my property – Apple Macbook Pro laptop and Spiggen Macbook Pro laptop case.

Furthermore, the apparent theft of the claimant's property was committed, on the balance of probability, by a person working for the defendant.

This amounts to the tort of conversion contrary to the Interference with Goods Act 1977.

The claimant seeks the sold value of the stolen item £1400 + postage costs £7.46 + postage costs £3.35 plus interest pursuant to Section 69 – County Courts Act 1984 plus damage for conversion not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court.

Edited by BankFodder
Edits in red

I took the sentence referring to the theft of the item out of your first version that you have simply put it back – so I have taken out again.

Can you actually prove this?

And certainly can you prove that the defendants "allowed" the employees to steal the item?

There is no point in making allegations which you can't actually prove. It doesn't bring anything to the claim. All you do is give the other side an opportunity to score points against you.

Do yourself a favour. Use the particulars of claim as I have suggested it above. Unless you have a very good reason, don't muck around with it and don't complicate the claim

And by the way, when is the 14 day deadline for your letter of claim?

You should drop EVRi know immediately and tell them that you are adding a claim for conversion to the forthcoming claim against them and that they should consider this as an addition to your letter of claim dated XXX

I have not intentionally put the "theft", "steal" and "allowed"  words back in. I simply forgot to take out the sections that needed to be deleted on my word document when typing your suggestions. I had been typing this on a laptop in a car in a car park during my lunch break with the sun shining on my screen and so it was difficult to see what I had added and removed at the time. 

I can prove the item did not get switched at Budgens as I viewed CCTV footage at the store and the store manager kindly wrote me an email confirming this. I cannot obtain the CCTV footage from Budgens where it has other persons in the footage as they are claiming GDPR but would happily share with the Police. The Police is not going to investigate further until Evri can confirm that a theft has taken place and encouraged me to seek compensation or claim on insurance.

The parcel had been switched when Evri collected from Budgens on Tuesday 21st (12ish if I recall without referring to my notes)  and delivered to the buyer Wednesday 22nd.

The balance of probabilities would suggest that it was a theft took place by an employee of Evri. Can I prove beyond that? Only that the parcel had been switched when it reached the buyer which I have as a photograph and also a photograph of the postage label being tampered with. 

Can I prove that Evri "allowed" its employees to steal? I cannot. However, It appears to be commonplace that thefts take place with Evri on a regular basis. I appreciate the Court is not going to care much for this unless I can prove it.

I plan to post the letter of claim with proof of postage to Evri on Tuesday 4th April (if you advise sending this out sooner then I will do so) I was then going to file the particulars of claim on Wednesday 22nd April. Hope I have counted my days correctly.

Need clarification on your previous post. "they should consider this as an addition to your letter of claim dated XXX"

Did you make mention of this as you are under the impression the letter of claim has already been sent or am I informing them the letter of claim is making its way on Tuesday 4th April?

My latest draft of particulars of claim is ready for feedback below:

Particulars Of Claim

Evri delivery fee £7.46

Damages for conversion of claimants property – not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court

Total claim £1660.81

The claimants parcel appears to be a subject of a theft as it was replaced by a different parcel containing a rivet gun and the original parcel label had been removed from the claimants parcel and affixed to the parcel containing a rivet gun.

The defendant has refused to reimburse the claimant for the full amount.

The defendant is clearly in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in that they have failed to carry out their contractual obligations with reasonable skill and care.

This amounts to the tort of conversion contrary to the Interference with Goods Act 1977.

The claimant seeks the sold value of the stolen item £1400 + postage costs £7.46 + postage costs £3.35 plus interest pursuant to Section 69 – County Courts Act 1984 plus damage for conversion not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the letter of claim had already been sent.

In that case, modify the letter of claim to include the tort of conversion

Understood. I will do so.

On the MCOL particulars of claim tab, I have the following option:

"You are required to give details of your claim in the box below. If you wish, you may also send detailed particulars direct to the defendant. If you need to do this, please tick here"

Do you advise that I tick the box?

No. You should make sure that your claim is adequately described in the form and don't complicate things by having to send extra information directly to the defendant.

Good morning Bankfodder,

MCOL particulars of claim is limited to 1080 characters/16 lines.

I have had to condense our previous particular of claim in order for it to fit  the text characters constraints. I've tried to keep it brief but also effective. Please can you review when convenient and let me know if it is sufficient to submit when the time comes?

I was unable to fit the part about Packlink being based in spain and the part about "Section 69 – County Courts Act 1984 plus damage for conversion not exceeding £250 in the discretion of the court."

Thank you

Claimants parcel appears to be subject of theft. Replaced by different parcel containing rivet gun with original parcel
label applied to rivet gun.

Defendant refused to reimburse claimant.

Defendant breached Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Failed to carry out their  contractual obligations with reasonable skill and care.

Claimant relying upon their rights under the Contracts (Rights Of Third Parties) Act 1999 for reimbursement.

Apparent theft of claimants property was committed, on balance of probability, by defendant employee.

Amounts to tort of conversion contrary to the Interference with Goods Act 1977.

Claimant seeks full value, interest, damages for conversion up to £250

Please monitor the thread for a reply later, but I have an idea that the new version of MoneyClaim will allow a greater word limit.

Maybe somebody can comment on that

@dx100uk 

@Andyorch

Sorry, but I've been delayed. I will respond tomorrow