Lowell & First direct Loan (HSBC) UK debt - now living in Spain

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum and I do like the no nonsense non judgemental approach.

I have been living in Spain for over 7 years, all fully legal here.

I have a personal loan with First Direct, initially for £20,000 but now its down to £10,000.

Problem is my income has dropped dramatically and I can't see it increasing in the near future, I'm struggling to keep up the payments on this debt and I was curious what First Direct could do if I just stopped paying?

They have my current address in Spain, it's a house we own with a mortgage on it. This isn't how I would like to do things, but when I have contacted them to discuss changing the payments they have been surprisingly unhelpful.

I'm just exploring my options at the moment and any advice would be appreciated.

UK Government since Brexit has not been able to gain agreement with the EU, to enable easy cross border debt enforcement.

So, if you just stopped paying, First Direct would after a period treat the debt as non performing and send many debt collection letters.  Then after a long period, they will pass on or sell the debt to debt collection companies. There are a few who chase debt across the  EU and they have offices in many countries, so you could have debt collection agents attend where you are living, to see if you wanted to come to a repayment arrangement. Of course without any Court judgement there is very little they could do.

As you don't live in the UK, difficult to gain any UK Court judgement as you are not resident in the UK and if the debt owner did get a UK CCJ, it would be quite expensive to try to gain a new judgement to enforce in a Spanish Court. 

For a £10,000 debt, although it may appear quite a lot of money, is quite small,  when Banks consider how much it is worth spending to recover such a debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to First direct (HSBC) UK debt - now living in Spain

Hello, I would suggest IF that were to happen it would be a long way into the future. It is most likely as per UB's comments.

As they have your address abroad, it is likely you would just receive many threatening letters from Original Creditor and DCA's acting on their behalf, with little real world action or impact to yourself.

With that said, I'm not sure on how debts work in Spain once sold to a company there, you should research this, however it is my suspicion they are a carbon copy of the UK and you can simply ignore them.

All the best

BT

CAG Site Team and Forum Helpers are unpaid volunteers

Over the years CAG has probably helped hundreds of thousands of people, only a small number of people come back and let us know what happened or to say thank you

and an even smaller number of people ever think to make a donation.

If you are able, without leaving yourself short, consider donating, all donations go towards Site hosting and maintenance - help us stay live for future people in need.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Essential Reading: Dealing with Customer Service

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to clarify what I should do, so I can get it straight in my head.

1. Stop all payments, then ignore all letters from the bank to my Spanish address.

2. Also ignore any debt collector communication once the bank has passed the debt on.

3. Wait it out.

I know I'm going over the same info, but I just want to make sure I approach this the right way. Thanks again!

there is nothing anyone can do to you if you are resident abroad as long as you have no assets in the uk they could get a backdoor CCJ and turn it into a charging order.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 11 months later...

Lowells have just send an email to my wife, looking for me in regard to the debt.

Not sure why the email was sent to her as the bank should have my details.

They are asking for me to call them,

should I get in touch to let them know my Spanish address and to only contact me instead of my wife?

Or just ignore the emails also?

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell & First direct (HSBC) UK debt - now living in Spain
  • dx100uk changed the title to Lowell & First direct Loan (HSBC) UK debt - now living in Spain

threads merged for you and title updated

i'd simply ignore all emails/txt/phone calls - there is nothing they can do.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...