• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Stratstone - Issues with in car electronics linking to phone since taking delivery

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a expensive luxury car from the dealer itself. Now please don't judge it took me 10 years to save up the deposit for my dream car and I am paying it off monthly.  The car was 4 years old but one of the benefits of buying from the Authorised dealer was that the car came with a new 2 year extended warranty and apparently they did 200+ checks to it. 

- On delivery day the Sales agent tried to configure my phone to the bluetooth + media and it didn't work. They took it to the workshop and tried with various other phones and none of them connected. I was assured that if there was a fix they would fix it. But it would take time as the workshop had not come across this before so they would set up a support ticket with the company and see how they can fix the issue. 

- I bought the car at the end of July and asked the dealer for an update a number of times. They kept on telling me that there was no update. 

- Having lost my patience I took the car to my local dealer (Selling dealer was down south) at the start of November who said it should never take this long for a support ticket to be resolved. It's often done within a couple of weeks max. 

- They offered to look into it and ended up keeping my car for 2 weeks doing various tests and coordinated with the manufacturer. 

-  After 2 weeks they said the fix was to update the software on the car and that took a further week  but this resulted in more issues with the car. The radio, navigation and all media stopped working. 

- I was advised it then needed a new unit which the selling dealer offered to pay for.

- They kept car for another week and installed the new unit and claimed that problem was resolved but when I picked

up car the same problems were still there. Plus more now the side mirrors randomly drop all the way down too. 

Two weeks along I have chased the dealer for an update every 2 days and they still don't know what to do. Apparently they are waiting on the manufacturer. 

The problem was there since I bought the car and they have been unable to resolve it almost 5 months down the line. They have kept my car for almost 1 month and I have only managed to drive it 500 miles since I bought it. 

What are my rights? 

Your consumer rights are enforceable against the dealer you bought it from.

But you may have muddied the waters by bringing it to a second dealer while the first dealer was still trying to fix the original problem.  I'm afraid your post is a bit confusing as to which dealer has done what to the car and when.

Your consumer rights sometimes depend on the timeline - so it might be useful if you provided one.

eg date bought from dealer 1; date issue identified by you; date you notified the issue to dealer 1; what dealer 1 did and when; date car returned to you; date car referred by you to dealer 2; what dealer 2 did and when; etc etc; where the car is now

The two most important time periods are (1) the period up to 30 days after you took possession of the car, and (2) the period up to 6 months after you took possession.

I understand from your post that you have had the car less than 6 months .

If a defect manifests itself within the first 6 months, then you have the right to insist on a repair after which you are entitled to reject the vehicle .

You should assert your right by writing to the dealer and explaining to them that they have a single opportunity to complete the repair otherwise you are rejecting the vehicle and you want a full refund including all costs incurred so far .

Even if this is not the path that you eventually take, you should certainly cover yourself by sending the letter immediately.

First class recorded delivery and also by email.

You say that you saved up for the vehicle. Did you pay for it by cash ?

What is the name of the dealer?

The dealer is Stratstone and its financed through the manufacturers own finance company. 

Ok so here is the timeline. 

- 26th July bought car from Manchester dealer. Reported problem at delivery of vehicle. Told they would set up ticket and revert. 

- August two phone calls and told there was no update as of yet. 

- 24th August - Sent email asking for update and got reply that there was no revert from Manufacturer yet. 

- 14th Sep - Phone call to ask and again told no update. 

- 7th Oct - Sent email and again told no update and gave me number for service department to contact for this. 

- 8th Oct - Spoke with Manchester Service and they said they were not aware of any support ticket on this issue and would look into it and revert

- 14th Oct (roughly) - No calls yet from Manchester so called them up and was told they would revert

- 17th Oct - Sent email to my salesperson in Manchester advising him that service have no record of this issue. Copy of email below

"I have been in touch with the service department 2 times in the last 10 days and both times they have said there is no ticket against this car. They are not aware of any open investigation for the bluetooth issue since I took delivery of the car. Both times I have been advised that they will look into it and get back to me but no one has so far. Can you advise who you have spoken with in service who I can chase? Or would you rather I take it to Newcastle and let them handle it? But in this regard are you happy to sort out any payments with them directly as you had committed to me on the day of delivery that you would get it fixed if there was one."

- 20th Oct - Reminder email sent as no reply to the above. 

- 30th Oct - Reminder 2 sent asking for the salesman to confirm if he is getting my emails. No reply. 

- 7th Nov - Drop it off to JCT600 in Newcastle who advise me that since the problem was there at time of delivery it would not be covered under warranty. They speak with Manchester who authorise them to proceed with the repair and they will pay for it. 

- I spoke with Service manager on the phone at Manchester and asked him if he is happy for Newcastle to do the job or would he rather call for the car back and he confirms he has agreed with Newcastle to pay for the work. 

- 15th Nov - They do a software update that makes things worse as no Navigation, Radio or bluetooth working now. 

22nd Nov - They hand car back awaiting instructions from Manufacturer as to what they need to do next. 

28th Nov - Advised that it needs a new Unit which Manchester have agreed to pay for. Drop car off again at Newcastle for the fix. 

6th Dec - Get car back and issue is still there. Show the problem to Service manager at Newcastle. 

After this I have not heard back apparently the issue is with some senior technical person. I have asked 3 time for a update and they keep on saying they haven't heard back. 

So this is financed on a consumer credit act agreement loan – or is it on hire purchase?

What you want to do? Do you want to get rid of the car? Or do you want to continue with it and get it fixed.

It’s bought on a PCP. Well it’s like a PCP where I have paid 50% down and only paying interest for 3 years and then I have option to buy car or return it.  But there isn’t a guaranteed buy back price as in normal PCP’s. They take a very reasonable residual figure for the calculations. 

I would rather get my money back if that’s possible as if they can’t fix the problem after so long I would rather buy a different one. 

Just  checked the Finance documents. It's a Hire Purchase agreement. 

• dx100uk changed the title to Stratstone - Issues with in car electronics linking to phone since taking delivery

i would be much happier if you scanned the full agreement upto one multipage pdf

read up load carefully

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If @axil123 wants his money back, can't he just reject the car now?

Seems like both the selling dealer in manchester and the dealer in Newcastle (authorised by the selling dealer?) have each had a go at fixing the car and have either (a) not fixed the problem or (b) made it worse - if I've understood axil correctly.

As it's all within 6 months can't he just reject it for a full refund?  (I'm never sure but might he have to pay mileage for the use of the car in the 6 months?  I'm never sure if cars are treated differently from everything else, and if they are, why... )

@axil123  -  out of interest, it's not a Jag or a Range rover is it?

I don't want to name the car on a public forum yet but no its not one of those two. Should be quite easy for you to check though. 

The thing is its coming to the end of the 6 months and they still have not been able to resolve the issue so I really don't want to go over the 6 months and then have to take it up with them when things will be harder to prove. If there is an option to return the car then I would prefer that. 

I have been very patient and given them ample time. 

Regarding the 6 months I think you are covered because you notified them immediately you took delivery of the car and you've reminded them several times since then by asking for updates on progress.  I don't think the dealer could argue that the fault didn't manifest itself within the first 6 months and that you hadn't notified them of it.

But in any case I'm sure @BankFodder's advice in #3 to get something formal in writing to the dealer sooner rather than later is correct.  (Post a draft up here before sending anything)

NB - post up the agreement as requested by @dx100uk.  HP agreements can be different regarding the approach you take as I don't think you've actually bought the car until you've made the last payment...

Edited by Manxman in exile

What should I write to the dealer as BankFodder says I need to write telling them that they have a single opportunity to fix the vehicle. In my case the Newcastle dealer has kept the car for 2 weeks once and then 1 week the other time trying to resolve the issue. 

Do I need to give Manchester one more chance? Do remember I was calling and emailing them from the date of delivery in July till the 7th of November asking them to do something about the issue which they never did. 

In regards to the Hire Purchase agreement I will upload it shortly once I have deleted the personal info. 

By the way thank you so much for your help so far. I really appreciate this. 

Edited by axil23

I bet it's a Jag, very common problem on those especially XF models. The electronics are shocking.

If it was mine I'd be rejecting it and saving myself a whole host of issues further along as the electronics degrade further, oh and a heads up: never, ever disconnect the battery or you'll need to get it towed to a main dealer who will charge you £600 to 'reset the software' an utter rip off disguising a serious known fault with the whole range. Next time stick to German cars!

@axil123  -  don't panic!  

What you need to do is to draft a letter to send to the dealer you bought it from.  Post the draft up here for people like @BankFodder to read and give you guidance.  Don't send anything without letting people read it and comment on it.

All you need to do is to briefly refer to the purchase, outline the faults you notified to the dealer, and highlight their failure to fix them (and even make matters worse by introducing new faults).

Tell them that as the faults appeared within the first six months, and as the dealer has had the single opportunity afforded to them under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to put right the fault(s), but has failed to do so, you are now exercising your right under the same legislation to reject the car.

As I say, just draft it but don't send it off until others have had a chance to comment on it.

There might be two problems:  (1) I think that if you reject the car you need to stop using it immediately and arrange to retruen it to the dealer (2) I'm not sure of the significance of it being HP.

Others will know better than me.  Wait to see what they have to say.

46 minutes ago, Homer67 said:

I bet it's a Jag, very common problem on those especially XF models. The electronics are shocking.

If it was mine I'd be rejecting it and saving myself a whole host of issues further along as the electronics degrade further, oh and a heads up: never, ever disconnect the battery or you'll need to get it towed to a main dealer who will charge you £600 to 'reset the software' an utter rip off disguising a serious known fault with the whole range. Next time stick to German cars!

I wondered that but he says it's neither a Jag nor a Range Rover...

I'm thinking it might actually be German!

• Like 1

It's an Italian horse. I am worried about what Homer67 said. If it's facing issues now what happens if a new one pops up next month once the 6 months are over. 

Just to confirm that I am not breaking any rules right by putting up the legal finance documents online?

Much as I would love to own a prancing horse I suspect they are rather fragile, and a fault that manifests itself on day 1 of ownership is not a good omen.  Also likely to be v expensive in the long run?  Personally I'd reject it now otherwise you'll be constantly anxious that something else is just about to break.

Draft a letter of rejection as @BankFodder suggested and post it up for comment.  Don't send anything to them yet.

I don't think there is any issue posting up the docs or @dx100uk wouldn't have asked for them.  Redact anything that could identify you.  (I'm not sure if you need to redact the dealer and finance company - I think we know who the dealer is from the title of this thread?).  I'm not sure if it being HP complicates matters.  Others probably want to check the contrcat details.

I understand you need to post the documents up in PDF format.  There's a guide to doing it somewhere on the website if you don't know how.

(I think I'd go German.  An old 911 would be very nice... )

• Like 1

Hmmm.  If I'm looking at the correct website I'm assuming we are talking a LOT of money?  (The cheapest pre-owned currently on the website is £89,900 if I'm looking in the right place.  And going up to around 400k?).

Personally I'd want out.  If it ends up in a dispute that's WAY over small claims limit, and I'd be getting prepared to get paid for legal advice if necessary.

(Hopefully I've misunderstood your reference to an "Italian horse" and I'm looking at the wrong website, or I've vastly over-inflated the money involved... ?)

Edited by Manxman in exile

OK.  That makes it serious money.  Doesn't change the principles involved but means there's more at stake for you in getting this right.  I understand why you might be a bit anxious.

See what others have to say

(Forgive me asking, but from your opening post I assume this wasn't a frivolous "playboy lifestyle" purchase?  It's a dream car and it's taken years of sacrifice from you to be able to save up for the deposit?  So this money is REALLY important?  And just to be clear - I'm not making any judgement at all about how you spend your money.  I perfectly understand it).

43 minutes ago, Manxman in exile said:

I don't think there is any issue posting up the docs or @dx100uk wouldn't have asked for them.  Redact anything that could identify you.  (I'm not sure if you need to redact the dealer and finance company - I think we know who the dealer is from the title of this thread?).  I'm not sure if it being HP complicates matters.  Others probably want to check the contract details.

simply obsure your details and the reg/ref no.

leave everything else.

read upload carefilly

1 mass PDF file only.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'll just make a couple of further comments before leaving this for others to pick up.

1.  You bought car on 26 July and immediately notified dealer of bluetooth fault.  They said they'd raise a ticket.  You chased this a few times but when you were finally referred to the dealer's service dept over two months later they told you no ticket had ever been raised?!  I'd suggest that that could be construed as their one permitted attempt under the legislation to fix the problem and they bungled it - by doing sweet FA!

2.  When you went to the dealer in Newcastle, I'm a bit surprised they told you that the fault wasn't covered by the warranty because it was present at purchase.  Is that why the Manchester dealership had to pay the Newcastle one for the work they did?  And it's further evidence (from the Newcastle dealership) that the fault was present at purchase!

3.  Consumers are normally advised to pursue their statutory consumer rights under the legislation rather than any warranties - unless the warranty is extremely unusual in that it offers better protection than statute.  I suppose that as this is a very high value purchase of a prestige marque from (presumably an equally prestigeous) authorised dealer, that it might be worthwhile checking the T&Cs of the warranty to see what it covers.

4.  I personally don't know what - if any - difference it makes that this is a HP purchase.

56 minutes ago, Manxman in exile said:

(Forgive me asking, but from your opening post I assume this wasn't a frivolous "playboy lifestyle" purchase?  It's a dream car and it's taken years of sacrifice from you to be able to save up for the deposit?  So this money is REALLY important?  And just to be clear - I'm not making any judgement at all about how you spend your money.  I perfectly understand it).

Yeah. Saved up for years to be able to afford this and since I bought it all I have been doing is paying it off. It was always a dream of mine. It's not been what I imagined with the car being at the dealers for almost 3-4 weeks of the time that I have owned it and the media issue being there throughout. In the meantime I have had to take Taxis about as they refused to give me any car while they were doing tests. 

@Manaxman in exile

1. Yes that is exactly what happened. 

2. Yeah I have a email where it says that since fault was present at point of purchase it won't be covered under warranty and should have been fixed by dealer before the sale. Hence why Manchester agreed to pay for the rather expensive part. I also have confirmation email from Newcastle that Manchester will pay for the diagnostics. 

3. Not sure what you mean by that as the dealer has advised me that any faults before you buy the vehicle are not covered under warranty. 

1 hour ago, axil23 said:

3. Not sure what you mean by that as the dealer has advised me that any faults before you buy the vehicle are not covered under warranty. 

What I meant about the warranty is this:  most people who have bought a used car and have problems with it - especially within the first six months - are advised to pursue the dealer by enforcing their statutory rights as a consumer under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (legislation.gov.uk) rather than by pursuing any warranty rights.  That is because most used car warranties are so limited and so restricted that they aren't worth the paper they are written on. 

(But - in the highly unlikely event that a warranty offered the consumer better protection than the legislation, it might be better for the consumer to use the warranty rather than their statutory rights.  I doubt that is the case here, but, bearing in mind it's a Ferrari from an authorised dealer, I suppose I was speculating as to just how good the terms of a 2 year Ferrari warranty actually are...)

You probably should have gone back to the dealer in the first place and told them you were using your statutory consumer right to reject the car, not their warranty. As I've tried to explain above, you probably ought to forget the warranty as it almost certainly will not give you even equivalent  protection to the legislation, let alone better.

However, because you seem to have tried to get it fixed under warranty, the Newcastle dealer happily appears to have confirmed that the fault was present when you bought the car and that the Manchester dealer should have fixed it before selling it to you.  It seems to me that that confirms that the car was sold to you in a faulty condition and that you ought to be able to reject it under the legislation for a refund.  🙂

Do you have any evidence from the Newcastle dealer telling you this?  A letter, an email, a text?

HOWEVER...  before you get too excited and think this will be easy to resolve, you really need to see what other posters make of this situation.  I'm not a lawyer and I'm not an expert on how the legislation I've referred to above relates specifically to the "sale" on HP of used cars.  It might be more complicated and more difficult than I've suggested...

Also I'm concerned that you've got £170k potentially at stake here.  Personally - were I in that situation - I think I might want to pay to get professional legal advice.

Yes I have a email confirming that since the fault was there at the time of delivery it would not be covered by the warranty. I was hoping to not get any solicitors involved. I love the car and am still hopeful for a resolution hence why I have been so patient. 

dx100uk I have the agreement on my iPad and ideally would need to print it off and black out the details. Please bear with me until I am back in the office to do this. In the meanwhile if you need me to copy and paste anything I can do that. Thank you so much for your help. 

45 minutes ago, axil23 said:

Yes I have a email confirming that since the fault was there at the time of delivery it would not be covered by the warranty. I was hoping to not get any solicitors involved. I love the car and am still hopeful for a resolution hence why I have been so patient...

So you have an email from an authorised dealer telling you that the fault was, or must have been, present when you took delivery of the car?  I would have thought that was very much to your benefit from a consumer rights point of view.

But as I said earlier, see what others think.  You've got a lot at stake and I'm not 100% confident on used car cases.  I don't feel qualified to give you definite advice...

13 hours ago, axil23 said:

I don't want to name the car on a public forum yet but no its not one of those two. Should be quite easy for you to check though. 

The thing is its coming to the end of the 6 months and they still have not been able to resolve the issue so I really don't want to go over the 6 months and then have to take it up with them when things will be harder to prove. If there is an option to return the car then I would prefer that. 

I have been very patient and given them ample time. 

there is not this issue in your case, you reported the issue at the dealership at time of collection...as below states.

On 12/12/2022 at 13:22, axil23 said:

On delivery day the Sales agent tried to configure my phone to the bluetooth + media and it didn't work. They took it to the workshop and tried with various other phones and none of them connected. I was assured that if there was a fix they would fix it. But it would take time as the workshop had not come across this before so they would set up a support ticket with the company and see how they can fix the issue.

and

7 hours ago, axil23 said:

2. Yeah I have a email where it says that since fault was present at point of purchase it won't be covered under warranty and should have been fixed by dealer before the sale. Hence why Manchester agreed to pay for the rather expensive part. I also have confirmation email from Newcastle that Manchester will pay for the diagnostics. 

perfect evidence.

1 hour ago, axil23 said:

I was hoping to not get any solicitors involved.

you don't need a solicitor.

dx

and they