Appliance Direct(s)? - Non delivery of goods! now asking for ID proof

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 599 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Daughter who is British and recently from South Africa ordered washing machine and dishwasher.  

Paid using a "virtual" credit card and the company has the funds.  Goods were supposed to be delivered  last week.  

On the day of delivery got a text to say not delivering for another two weeks.

They are now requesting proof of identity, address, employment etc  which she sent to them.  Yesterday she got another email requesting the same information.

In response she told them by email to cancel the order and requested a full refund.  

Neither of us can understand why they require proof of identity, proof of address etc.  

Reading reviews of the company on Trustpilot 86% of reviewers rate the company as Bad.  It is a company called Appliance Direct.

As it is a "virtual"  South African CC I am not sure if S75 would apply.  

Sadly at the moment CRA 2015 cannot be used and I am unsure of Consumer Contract Regulations?  

Any advice?

• dx100uk changed the title to Appliance Direct - Non delivery of goods!

I doubt an sa cc is covered by our UK consumer credit act .

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have used Appliances Direct for a number of white goods and a mobile phone and I have found them to be excellent.

When I had an issue with a tumble dryer they replaced it once with the same model and when that failed with the same fault they replaced it with a different make/model of higher value at their cost.

I recommend them highly, especially compared to Appliances On Line - are you sure it wasn't them you had trouble with?

Edited by Homer67
typo

I thought it was Appliance Direct, but it is Appliances Direct and they are two different stores.  Not sure how to edit the heading as the heading is now incorrect.

We have used Appliances Direct in the past with no issue so cannot understand why they want copies of passport etc when they already have the money even it was paid for by a SA CC? 

I thought money laundering rules only applied to transfers of over £10000?

Does the retailer have any right to ask for identification like copies of passport, proof of address etc? 

She does have a Nationwide current account with a debit card, but all the funds are in South Africa waiting to be transferred.

The credit card she is using is similar to the pre Pay CC that we have here in the UK as is valid anywhere in the world.

They transfer funds from SA account onto CC to buy goods however address for virtual or Online card is probably in SA.

That is what daughter told us. 

Not sure why I put the name in the heading instead of in body of post.  My mistake. 

Perhaps remove name from heading altogether. 

Also need to modify paragraph on body of post as referring to the wrong company. 

Thanks.

Given that company names on the internet can be very similar, it would be great if we could be sure which company we're complaining about in case they spot this thread. Especially in the light of what Homer said.

Is there an invoice you can show us a copy of please? Minus personal details of course.

HB

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

As said I am querying on behalf of my daughter so I don't have access to her account or invoice as that is her personal issue. 

I should have been clearer and the actual question is whether a company can request proof of identity, address, employment etc before deciding to deliver?    Does not matter which company it is so name can be removed.

She has bought other stuff from other companies using the same method of payment as she is slowly furnishing their home so cannot understand why this company is giving her grief.  Surely if there was an issue, it should have been mentioned before the delivery date last week which never happened?

I suspect that they took the orders for the appliances and then realised that there is a 3 week wait before they can obtain the goods so are now playing it out and were hoping that she would not cancel.  However she has emailed to cancel and is waiting for return of funds.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

i suspect its down to using the SA CC, and yes they can ask for verification but i'd simply use say her ctax bill?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Appliance Direct(s)? - Non delivery of goods! now asking for ID proof

they simply wish to verify who and where she is thats all.

i doubt many docs are in her name at the new residence then?

just type no need to keep hitting quote.

• Like 1

and they