• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell claimform - old Paypal Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Must be headed Supplemental Witness Statement of xxxxxxx and ideally should only contain addition information which was not available or included at the time of your initial statement not a redraft but they will either accept or decline. Don't forget to serve a copy on the claimant's sol.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

3 hours ago, robert_harper_2000 said:

Furthermore, the alleged credit agreement provided appears to be a pre-Brexit PayPal EU agreement. As a result of Brexit, the jurisdiction of such agreements has changed, and I argue that this agreement falls outside the jurisdiction of this court.

surely this is NOT correct

brexit changed nothing.

you are pointing out the agreement is NOT a UK credit agreement but an EU one which could have been taken out in any country, not necessarily the UK. 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

What are you waiting to hear and from whom ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...

My main arguments are the 

Background Information:

1. I am the Defendant in this case, and I am disputing the validity of the Default Notice and the alleged Paypal credit agreement provided by the Claimant, Lowells. I believe the Default Notice is invalid and the credit agreement is not properly executed, as detailed below.

2. On 18.01.2020, I received a Default Notice from the Claimant, which informed me that I was in breach of the credit agreement and that I had to remedy the breach within 14 days. According to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Section 88, a Default Notice must provide the debtor with a minimum of 14 days to remedy the breach. The Default Notice was dated the 15th, with an expiry to remedy by the 29th. Assuming it was posted on the same day it was written, it could not have arrived to me until at least 2 days later. As a result, I was not given the full 14 days required by the Act to remedy the default, since at least 2 days were used for postage. Therefore, I argue that the Default Notice is invalid.

Improperly Executed Credit Agreement:

1. The Claimant has provided a copy of the alleged credit agreement, which I believe is not properly executed pursuant to Section 61 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The copy of the agreement provided lacks any signature, IP address, or tick box verification, as required by Section 4 of The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 for electronic agreements. Due to these missing elements, I argue that the agreement is improperly executed.

Jurisdictional Issue:

1. Furthermore, the alleged credit agreement provided appears to be a PayPal EU agreement. As a result, the agreement is not a UK credit agreement and could have been taken out in any country and I argue that this agreement falls outside the jurisdiction of this court.

Help me to help others!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a claimant witness statement come through today.

I, Amy Abdul, of Overdales Legal Limited whose registered address is PO Box 1399 Bradford

BD5 5GA, WILL SAY as follows:

1. I am a Paralegal employed by Overdales Legal Limited, the Solicitors instructed by the Claimant. I have conduct of this matter subject to the supervision of my principals and I am duly authorised by the Claimant to make this statement on the Claimant's behalf.

2. The facts contained in this statement are known to me, save as where expressly stated, and are true to the best of my knowledge, information and belief. The Claimant's solicitors have access to the Claimant's case record systems, from which the information in this statement emanates.

3. I make this statement in addition to my Witness Statement dated 21 February 2023 (the

"Claimant's First Witness Statement"), and to respond to the Defendant's Witness Statement dated 4 April 2023 ("The Defendant's First Witness Statement"), and Correction to Part 2 Supplementary Witness Statement dated 13 April 2023.

4. The Defendant admits to receiving the Default Notice on 18 January 2020, however disputes the validity of the Notice on the basis that the length of time provided to remedy the account was insufficient in accordance with section 88 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Defendant submits 2 further days were required to account for service of the Default

5. The Defendant alleges the Agreement is not properly executed pursuant to s61 Consumer Credit Act 1974 as it lacks the signature, IP address or tick box verification as required S4 Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 for electronic Agreements.

6. The Defendant alleges the Agreement is a pre-Brexit PayPal EU Agreement and as a result of Brexit the Jurisdiction of such Agreements have changed and the Agreement falls outside the Jurisdiction of this Court.

7. The Claimant submits that the Defendant initially stated he was not aware of service of a

Default Notice by the Original Creditor' within paragraph 2 of his Defence.

8. The Defendant has since admitted to receiving the Default notice on 18 January 2 within paragraph 2 of the Defendant's First Witness Statement. The Claimant submits the Defendant is clearly inconsistent in his submissions.

9. The Claimant submits that whilst the Defendant was not provided with the 2 days for service, the Defendant was provided with 14 days to rectify the arrears and sent Notice of Sums in Arrears and Notice of Default Sums prior to the Default Notice. The Claimant submits that the Defendant was aware of the arrears prior to the Default Notice and therefore submits that the lack of 2 days is de minimus. Copies of the Notice of Sums in Arrears are hereto exhibited at ("AA1") of the Claimant's Supplementary Witness Statement.

10. The Claimant submits that the Agreement has been electronically signed in the Defendant's name and is therefore deemed to be executed correctly. The. Claimant further submits that the Defendant admitted to entering into dealings with the Original Creditor within paragraph 1 of his Defence. The Claimant submits that the Defendant did not raise the illegibility of the Agreement as part of his Defence and therefore cannot rely on this at the hearing.

11. The Claimant submits that the Agreement clearly states the law governing the Agreement is English Law. Therefore the Claimant rejects the Defendant's assertion that the Court does not have Jurisdiction on the matter.

12. The Claimant submits that the Defendant failed to serve his First Witness Statement in accordance with the directions of the Order dated 7 February 2023 by District Judge Harper. The Order clearly states 'Each party must deliver to the other party and to the Court office copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing no later than fourteen days before the hearing'. The hearing was listed for 14 April 2023, therefore the Defendant's Witness Statement was required to be received by the Claimant no later than 31 March 2023. The Defendant's First Witness Statement is dated 4 April 2023, which is not in compliance with the Court's Order. Therefore the Claimant requests the Defendant's First Witness Statement and Supplementary Statements are disregarded for the purposes of the Claim.

13. The Claimant refers the Court to the High Court decision in Wolf Rock (Cornwall) Ltd Langhelle [2020] EWHC 2500 (Ch), in which the Court held that an application to admit witness evidence which had been filed and served late should be treated like an application for relief from sanctions under CPR 3.9. The Claimant submits that the Defendant has no made any application for relief, and therefore the Defendant's Witness Statements nor his oral evidence should be permitted at the hearing.

14. In any event, the Claimant submits that the Defendant did not raise his submissions regarding the illegible Agreement and Default Notice within his Defence and therefore cannot rely upon such at this time.

15. The Claimant reiterates paragraph 23 of the Claimant's First Witness Statement, 'the Claimant submits that it has attempted to settle the Claim with the Defendant on multiple occasions, but has been unsuccessful in its attempts. The Defendant has continued to re-request information that has previously been sent to the Defendant. Therefore, the Claimant submits that the Defendant has intentionally avoided settling the Claim'.

The Claimant submits that it has now received further information in relation to the single transaction.

The Original Creditor has stated the following 'The account was used to make one transaction of £3,299.00 on 20 August 2019. The transaction was disputed by the suyer as not being as described. However as the item was confirmed as received, the Claim was denied on 17 September 2019 and the interest reinstated'. Therefore the valance is payable.

Doc_by_Scan_Shot.pdf

Help me to help others!

I wish I could offer advice but can only offer support. I don't know what I would have done if mine had got this far. Only thing I can suggest is make notes of what you want to say, try not to waffle (hard I know) and make sure the judge knows you are not a professional.

only speak when spoken too, only answer as you have done in your defence/WS.

dont allow any little chats outside before you go in...smile walk away.

their WS arguments that you owe them anything are really very very weak, esp as it results from an outstanding dispute with the original creditor PayPal EU..

and are mostly hearsay evidence and speculation/assumptions with no real evidence.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you dont have too, whomever said you did?

you are a Litigant In Person, joe public ..you are not expected to be familiar at speaking legalese.

dx

and they

well i hope you should know this by now , you've filed a defence and your WS......

dx

and they

the same as what was stated more than 2 yrs ago at the start of this thread and xx pages ago rob.

we cant hold your hand..you dont counter their counter claims. they are BS.

and they

its all a red herring. total bs. to divert away from they have nothing really enforceable. just a typed name ! nothing else.

NOSIA are just a std letter they must send, nothing to do with enforceability rob.

its simply a duty of a creditor under FCA rules to send them. means nothing to your case 

so what you were late..it doesn't matter. pulling at straws you are a LiP and have leeway.

stop being distracted by BS the judge wont be.

as an example (you can do this yourself ROB)!!..time to actually work on your own not nursemaiding ..you are the one up there NOT us.. you've had more than a year to get ready..

On 27/07/2023 at 17:15, robert_harper_2000 said:

The. Claimant further submits that the Defendant admitted to entering into dealings with the Original Creditor within paragraph 1 of his Defence.

no you DID not say that you said...what? go look..

The Claimant submits that the Defendant did not raise the illegibility of the Agreement as part of his Defence and therefore cannot rely on this at the hearing.

how could i - i didnt ask for copies until AFTER the claimform arrived...etc etc 

and they

4. The Defendant admits to receiving the Default Notice on 18 January 2020,

but not from the oc on the date it was written.  schematics' to confuse the judge 

its all lies...disprove each statement 1 by 1 in your notes to take with you.

and they

Lost

Judge said the default notice was invalid but he spent 40 minutes finding a case Brandon Vs American Express (as the solicitor they sent said he has no defence for the invalid notice)

he said the agreement is valid

Jurisdiction issue he said isn’t valid as it says valid in English Law

Help me to help others!

blimey the ole brandon case.

he must have heard of it it was about 2011, but hasnt really come into play since.

i think you suffered judge lottery here, else they play golf together.

dx

and they