• Tweets

• I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
    • Developing computer games can be wildly expensive so some hope that AI can cut the cost.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Aviva fraudulently processed my data without authorisation o

Titchytitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

By accepting it I mean that new just put up with it and sort out the debt yourself or try to get it from your family or your brother but then you move on.

No it wouldn't be you admitting liability. It would get them off your back I suppose but I don't think it would change very much else.

It's up to you whether you want to sit tight or whether you want to go ahead and take more assertive action.
I rate your chances on a data protection action as pretty high

Anyway, I had thought that you had decided some time ago that you are now prepared to go ahead and take some action.

It sounds to me is if you are not certain and so already this thread is starting to meander.

@BankFodder one cragger has suggested putting a complaint to the ICO would this help?

I would need help drafting the complaint please to ico?

I guess they've breached data protection could you explain what I would need to do and what potentially aviva could do ? Would they let it go to court or would they try to settle out of court 

The problem with the ICO who you could complain to, is that they will do whatever they can do, to avoid doing anything.

Aviva should not have without consent processed any data in your name. 

The problem is that Aviva appear to be believe that you were aware of the Insurance that was being arranged.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

@BankFodderlast time we spoke it was regarding sending them a payment letter about charging interest to the amount and paying them off to get off my back but we had agreed to maybe sit tight and see what else comes my way from aviva before taking action

I havent received any money yet from extended family and I was getting worried with aviva going quiet  which is why I contacted yourself to see what is the best way forward 

Because before I went abroad they police had turned it into a domestic sating no further action as the eldest brother gave a false statement saying a verbal agreement was made in front of him 

I would suggest following Bankfodders advice as stated earlier.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

@unclebulgaria67 to start a claim against them what happens when you start a claim

I guess the difficulty I've got is that if the extended family are paying the debt they won't probably give witness statements and will walk away once they've given me the money to pay aviva  

Have extended family provided money to pay Aviva ?

If not, are you sure that they will pay Aviva ?

@unclebulgaria67they haven't paid me yet but they will pay it as they've tied it in with my inheritance share 

But it might be a couple of months before that gets sorted 

I was thinking if I pay them back its not me admitting liability it will be paid back on the basis that there's no admission of liability amd no default is added to my credit history and to get them off my back 

Or alternatively I put a court claim in bit they're a big company it might cause further issues and I don't knw what to expect with a claim too 

So wait a few months and then see what your position is then.

• Thanks 1

Firstly I see paying the money that Aviva wants as being a completely separate matter to the business of making a claim. They don't actually impact on each other.
Secondly, you could certainly make a complaint to the ICO and unlike the FOS, that doesn't prevent you bringing a court claim as well at the same time if you want to.
Certainly if you made a complaint to the ICO and the ICO came back and said that it is likely that Aviva had breached a duty (this is about the best that you will get out of the ICO), then that would be helpful to you in bringing a claim.

If you want to start off by Megan complaint to the ICO then you need to keep the matter highly specific to the setting up of the policy and not stray away from that date.

The entire breach is based on what happened on that date that your brother phoned them, gave him his details and simply referred to you, caused the call handler sufficient doubt that they initially were reluctant to grant the policy but then decided to take advice from a line manager and came back and agreed to open the policy in your name.

If you'd like to start drafting a letter on that basis, then we can check it and see where you go from there.
I would certainly refer to the data protection act, and also Aviva's own policy which you linked us to earlier on.

You will see that in section 2 of their privacy policy they talk about how they source the personal data which they rely upon and they make it clear that the data is either obtained from "you" and/or "the policyholder".
It seems to me that they have done neither.

It is clear to me that they have not exercised sufficient diligence. The account was set up unlawfully and in breach of their own policies and that must be a sufficient basis for complaint.

If you decided to bring a legal action then you would be relying on exactly the same grounds.

The best you can hope from the ICO is a finding that they have been likely to have breached the data protection rules.
However this would not get you the compensation that you require that if you made a successful complaint to the ICO then a subsequent court action would probably quite straightforward and get you the compensation you need – although I can imagine that Aviva would try to put their hands up before it got that far

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Titchytitch said:

@unclebulgaria67they haven't paid me yet but they will pay it as they've tied it in with my inheritance share 

Hold on.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that's not what you said on your other thread:  Unfair treatement by Aviva in fraudulent application.

On your other thread I posted at #76:

"I don't wish to ask what may be a tactless or insensitive question, but if your extended family are willing to pay £3k to Aviva to get them off your back (which is something I can fully understand from your point of view, even if I might not recommend it) why doesn't your extended family just put pressure on Mr Z (isn't he your brother?) to pay the £3k?  Or the family treats the £3k as a loan to Mr Z?

Or is this an awkward family issue best left alone?  (Apologies if I'm causing any unintended offence - but I have to ask.  The person at fault here is your brother but nobody in your family seems willing to take issue with him.  They seem to blame you if I recall correctly)".

To which you responded at #77:

"... They [your family I presume] have all asked him to pay the 3k back,  he wont pay it so now the eldest 2 brothers are having the money knocked off from their inheritance share to pay this off... "

Now I can fully understand why you would be quite happy to have your family (or preferably Mr Z) pay off the alleged debt to Aviva because you've been through an awful lot lately including being hospitalised in (I presume) Pakistan for a couple of months with a broken knee.  So if your family were to pay it off for you I could understand you accepting that just to draw a line under this whole sorry affair.

But... to me that would only be acceptable either if that payment was treated as a debt owed by Mr Z to the family to be taken out of his inheritance, or a debt owed by your brother(s) to be taken out of his (their) inheritance as he (they) appear to have assisted Mr Z to some extent in committing this fraud.

Are you now saying your family would pay this off, but instead of treating it as a debt owed by Mr Z, they would treat it as a debt owed by you?!?!

The reason I'm making this post is because I can fully understand why you would be happy to draw a line under this if your family paid off the debt, but only if there is no detriment to you.  So if your family pay and it's treated as a debt owed by your brother(s), then fine.  But not if your family pay it off and then treat it as owed by you!

If I were you I would want to understand fully my position vis a vis my family before deciding if I wanted to pursue Aviva further.

Edited by Manxman in exile

@Manxman in exile mr Z isnt paying the money back or having it knocked off his share so the older 2 siblings are giving it me from their shares for closure and for me to draw a lune under it to move on 

My predicament is that if i pay the money given to me by the family to pay aviva will it be seen as admission of liability on my part and will a default be registered under my name ??

At the minute the inheritance is drawing to a close but not quite there yet ..I think a starting point would be to draft a letter to ICO to use as a basis to start the court claim 

How long has this been dragging on for now and how much longer do you want it to drag on for?

If your family (or brothers or whoever) are willing to pay it at absolutely no cost to you (ie you do not end up paying it yourself whether it be from your share of an inheritance or somewhere else) then I'd certainly consider taking their offer up just put an end to this.  (If I trusted them that is!)

Whether paying it off is in some way an admission that you are liable for the debt, I don't know.  But I'm sure others here can advise.

You spent New Year in a hospital bed in Pakistan, didn't you?  I can't see any personal benefit to you in prolonging this any longer than necessary - I think you've been through enough in the last 8 months or so.

I'm afraid I think your problem is rather more with your family than with Aviva.  I feel really sorry for you.

(Oh - one other thought.  What's to stop your brother doing this again?  He's done it before hasn't he?  Your other brother(s) really need to have a word with him... )

2 hours ago, BankFodder said:

No it wouldn't be you admitting liability. It would get them off your back I suppose but I don't think it would change very much else.

It's up to you whether you want to sit tight or whether you want to go ahead and take more assertive action.
I rate your chances on a data protection action as pretty high

BankFodder has already said it would not be an admission of liability for this alleged "debt".

It then comes down to how far you think you can trust your family and brothers.  (Honestly - words fail me... ☹️ )

• Sad 1

@Manxman in exile hes done it before he listens to no one hence why they're trying to pay it off to get aviva off my back 

I've been fighting aviva and trying to show them that they set this policy up without my authorisation I got first lot of default letters 10/01/20 

I've been through hell and back with my accident in Pakistan I slipped on marble flooring my while knee cane out if its socket I fractured my ankle and arm all on the left side been very traumatised im back home now but this whole aviva thing us stressing me out and the fact they're very quiet 

I think like bankfodder said let's write to ICO and see where that gets me and then go down the legal route I've just renewed my membership with CIFAS too 

@BankFodder please find my attempt at writing to the ICO

Dear Information Commission Officer

I would like to bring a complaint against Aviva. An insurance policy was set up on the 3rd of December 2015 in my name the first this was bought to my attention was in January 2020 when I received a letter of default chasing me for payment if the insurance.

Aviva entered me into a contract with themselves without any written/verbal consent from myself. Upon seeking clarification, it became apparent the my sibling Mohammed Zafar had set the policy up, had taken full advantage of the insurance, had fully controlled the policy online via Aviva’s portal, spoke to Aviva making all the amendments and adjustments to the policy and then went onto requesting a chargeback which Aviva happily refunded to him as he was the named driver and started writing to me chasing me for the payments they had refunded.

Aviva was in breach of unlawfully processing my data without my consent or without speaking to me, Mr. Zafar called up on the 3rd December 2015, he gave them his own details and simply referred to me as his wife and  that he had permission from me to set the policy up, the call handler had sufficient doubt and initially was reluctant to set the policy up, but then took advice from a line manager and came back and agreed upon opening the policy in my name.

Under the Data Protection Act Aviva have unlawfully processed my data and entered me into a contract with themselves without my consent. Under the Act The first principle requires that you process all personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner. If no lawful basis applies to your processing, your processing will be unlawful and in breach of the first principle.

Avivas own policy around data protection under Section 2 claims how they source the personal data which they rely upon is data that is obtained from “you and/or the policyholder”. In this case neither was done. Aviva didn’t speak to me throughout the duration of the policy.

As you can see from the above, Aviva have failed to exercise proper due diligence. The policy was set up unlawfully and in breach of their own policies and this is the basis of my complaint.

I would like this to be fully investigated, I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Edited by Titchytitch

I don't think it focuses sufficiently on the chain of events.

I think that these two paragraphs below

Aviva entered me into a contract with themselves without any written/verbal consent from myself. Upon seeking clarification, it became apparent the my sibling Mohammed Zafar had set the policy up, had taken full advantage of the insurance, had fully controlled the policy online via Aviva’s portal, spoke to Aviva making all the amendments and adjustments to the policy and then went onto requesting a chargeback which Aviva happily refunded to him as he was the named driver and started writing to me chasing me for the payments they had refunded.

Aviva was in breach of unlawfully processing my data without my consent or without speaking to me, Mr. Zafar called up on the 3rd December 2015, he gave them his own details and simply referred to me as his wife and  that he had permission from me to set the policy up, the call handler had sufficient doubt and initially was reluctant to set the policy up, but then took advice from a line manager and came back and agreed upon opening the policy in my name.

A very useful but but the settlement needs to be developed and I think you need to draw attention to the hesitancy to set up the policy by the Aviva call handler is clear evidence that they were breaching their policy and they knew that and that some unknown line manager overrode the policy and allowed the fraud to be implemented.

Also I think that you need to refer to their own policy which makes it clear that they will source their data from you – the policyholder.
I also think the complaint needs to make it clear that the fact that the caller was your brother was completely incidental and in fact it could have been any stranger who would have done exactly the same thing.

In effect, Aviva were prepared to hand out a policy in your name to anybody who happened telephone with the correct contact details.

I think the second paragraph which I quoted above should come first because that really is where the focus should be – their wrongdoing.

@BankFodder would you kindly help me reword this letter so its ready to send please 

I've been in a lot of pain with my leg as I'm still recovering and I'm very drowsy doped up on tramadol and painkillers I was struggling to type this last night too 

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated 

In that case I think that you should wait until you have recovered and are in a position to go forward.
I think that's what I told you last year when you are still away.
This is going to need a lot of personal commitment and focused energy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks