Tiscali dial up

gemspan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I downloaded Tiscali diapup which was advertised as 1p a minute. I did this as BT were being slow with my MAC code so that I could change provider. I ended up having to use this dialup for about 6 weeks while it was sorted out.

My telephone bills are normally about £35 per month. Last month my bills was £88 and this month it has come in at £98. I contacted Toucan who told me that the dialup was actually being charged at 54p a minute on occasion and also 34p a minute. It was never being charged at 1p a minute.

I am going to get in touch with Tiscali as I believe this is misrepresentation. Does anyone have any similar stories with these guys or what advice would you give me to get this resolved.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Annie

Hi gemspan

Just had a look at the Tiscali homepage (I'm a Broadband customer of theirs, by the way) and it seems that the 1p per minute offer does have 'conditions' attached. Ths is what they say:

"Time online is charged at just 1p a minute all weekend*, 2p a minute evenings (6pm-6am Mon-Fri) and 4p a minute during weekdays (6am-6pm Mon-Fri) from a BT landline. Charges from other telephone providers may vary.

* Bank and Public Holidays are not classified as weekend periods for this product. Charges will be applied to your account at the standard Mon - Fri rates."

The bold print is Tiscali's, not mine!

In you post you mention Toucan and I assume this is who provides your telephone service. Tiscali's offer is for BT landlines and they do say charges from other telephone providers may vary.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. My provider is Toucan. However, they took over the BT line!!! Dont know if that makes any difference though!!!

I will get in touch with Tiscali and see what they say about the charges. I could see perhaps the higher end of their charges applying but 54p a minute is daylight robbery!!! It couldnt come at a worse time either.

Thanks for your help.

Annie

Hi there

My provider is Toucan. However, they took over the BT line!!! Dont know if that makes any difference though!!!

Annie

When you say it's Toucan who took over your BT line I'm assuming you moved from BT to Toucan as your telephone service provider (i.e. that the choice to move was yours and not one 'imposed' on you)?

If that's the case then I would hazard a guess that it's Toucan who are responsible for the charges for your dial-up connection and not BT or Tiscali.

I remember that when I moved from dial-up to broadband it was a condition of Tiscali's that I was (or became) a BT customer.

(I ought to mention that my only connection with either company is as a customer of both)

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Yep. Moved my line from BT because of extortionate call charges to Toucan and have a very good talk all you can deal with them. I also now have my broadband with them. I spoke to them yesterday about the increase in my bills and they told me I was being charged 54p a minute etc., etc., Surely they are the ones that get billed from Tiscali and they pass it on to me. Is that not how it works? Anyway, I have the number for Tiscali and will call them up tomorrow to see what the story is. Either way, I will be fighting this because these call charges are absolutely extortionate and in no way can they justify charging me 54p a minute. They didnt mention the fact that I have to have BT or anything. I'll let you know how it goes.

Annie