Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Jimbo44 last won the day on November 4 2006

Jimbo44 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

572 Excellent

About Jimbo44

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. ....and here too! Got a very nice cheque through the post this morning!!!
  2. Hi midge61 In essence if your friend's GP says she is fit to work and signs her "well note" then she has a right under common law to be paid her wage by her employer. A person willing to work has a common law right to be paid. If she is a member of a trade union I suggest she speaks to her shop steward/representative who will be able to guide her in making sure the employer complies with the law. As an aside, you say your friend was injured on a bus. If the accident was in any way "caused" by the bus company I hope she is pursuing a claim?
  3. As far as I am aware, (and I'm more than happy to be corrected too), only a worker's GP or a hospital doctor can sign them back to work with a 'well note'. However, an employer has a right to decide if the employee is fit to resume his or her particular job and this is commonly done by an Occupational Health Physician. Sometimes the two disagree and the GP will issue a 'well note' either regardless, or in ignorance of the OHP's decision. If the employee's doctor says that they are fit to return to work, but the employer wants further medical checks, the employee should be paid full wages
  4. I would just make the point re training costs that any agreement by an employee to repay training costs if they leave within a certain time must be agreed in writing, be specific and clear and made before any incident which would give rise to a deduction. It is also interesting that one Tribunal has said this does not constitute an authority to deduct! It's not just the employer either who can make a claim for breach of contract in the civil courts.
  5. On the face of it this would seem to be a "redudancy" that could be classed as unfair if the "trainees" are going to be doing the same work as that done by your husband. I agree with qbal's comments above. Your husband should seek urgent advice from either your local CAB, a trade union (if he is a member of one) or a lawyer who specialses in employment law as there could be a case for unfair dismissal.
  6. Couldn't agree more!! Make a serious effort to address the items on the list and frankly, if that's all the employer's worried about, get on with his job.
  7. Just so that it's clear can you tell me what the act of Gross Misconduct was? Was it because you submitted two cases for the same customer at the same time? Or was it because the "signed declarations" were missing? Also, was it FSA rules that were broken, or was it your employer's "best practice" rules (if any rules were broken at all)? Have you received training for your job and was the procedure you have failed to follow fully explained then? You say that colleagues have submitted similar applications but that you don't wish to name them. Whilst I would say that "going with
  8. Unless there is specific provision in your contract of employment for a salary reduction of this kind, your employer can only implement a salary reduction with your agreement. If he tried to implement the change without your explicit agreement he would be in breach of the contract and, quite possibly, guilty of making an illegal deduction from your wages too if he actually paid you at the reduced rate. By virtue of the fact you say he has requested your agreement I would suggest he already realises this anyway. As has been said above, I would think very carefully before accepti
  9. Hi Just my twopennorth! Always remember there's no such thing as an "informal chat" with any management! Im drawn back to something in your original post when you said "...............I have been off since my manager told me in my quarterly review that I should leave or I would be 'managed out'. Since then I have been stressed and depressed. This was the final straw." If you do decide to resign you could well have a good case to take your employer to an Employment Tribunal for this remark. I suggest there's a good case to claim "constructive dismissal" here. Especiall
  10. Hi Perhaps not unsurprisingly, what your employer (knowing who it is) wants to do is not one of the options open to him! There are specific rules governing the repayment of overpaid wages which say, amongst other things, the employer must act reasonably and stage repayment over a period of time agreed with the employee. Maybe either have a word with your union rep (if there is such a person) or speak to ACAS via their Helpline (08457 474747 and open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday) who will be able to advise you on your specific case. They will be able to advise about your m
  11. Crikey! Whatever you do don't tell my boss!!! Seriously though, I agree with Mr Shed's remark "I HOPE they can't do this"!! I do too, Mr Shed!!! To me it looks as though the crux of the matter is what your Contract of Employment says. Unless there is specific provision in it for the frequency of your pay-day to be altered in this way or you have agreed to a change in this, then any unilateral action by your employer to impose the change is almosy certainly a breach of contract and thus more than likely to be un-enforceable. A change in a Contract of Employment, (and certainly one as
  12. I can find nothing covering a reduction in working hours during a period of consultation. To be honest, I think it could be argued that it may be that a reduction in hours may well signify something more than redundancy. As a general rule though any alteration in working hours can be unlawful unless the Contract of Employment and/or Company Handbook allows for this in some way with a clause/section specifically covering alterations in working hours. I suggest your husband reads his Contract/Company Handbook carefully and if nothing is mentioned the employer is quite probably in
  13. In addition to the link above, this will also be useful for your daughter: Your rights if your employer is insolvent : Directgov - Employment
  14. Whilst I've never heard of a timescale for accepting voluntary redundancy, I would suspect the reasons for seeking volunteers may well have been satisfied as far as the employer is concerned after almost a year has elapsed. Don't be too surprised if you're "out of time" on this one.
  15. Whilst I agree with what's been said above, the thought of possible "Constructive Dismissal" also occurs to me in view of the comments you make right at the end of your initial post. You say "Also worth mentioning I was also told a number of weeks ago they had a CV in from someone they thought would be ideal for my job and also that if I handed my notice in that all charges would be dropped but they wouldn't pay my notice". Having that remark made to you seems to sugest to me that a decison to dismiss you has either already been taken, or certainly seriously discussed at any rate.
  • Create New...