Is my landlord allowed to take a video of the inside of his property during the months notice period.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have given my landlord more than a months notice to leave his property. I am up to date with all my payments and kept the house in excellent order. He has informed me that he requires me to allow a letting agent into the property to take a video of  his property for  new potential tenants to view. I am still living in the property  and I am uncomfortable about my personal belongings being viewed by anyone who visits that estate agents site. My months notice should start at the end of this month but gave him extra time in my notice as a consideration. Does anyone have any advise please?

I appreciate your discomfort about this but it seems to me to be not unreasonable and very much in line with today's technology for video footage to be taken of the inside of the property with a view to renting it out again when you have gone.

I'm not sure that you have much of a position here

Hello Arty dinmore

Tell them you are not happy and to wait until you left the property if they want to take any videos/pictures.

They got No legal right to do so unless its says anything in a signed tenancy agreement about taking videos/pictures at the end of a tenancy.

When you do leave take pictures/videos yourself, so they can't accuse you of damage so on and make false claims from your deposit.

Take pictures of your gas and electric meters for final readings on the day you leave and inform utilities suppliers yourself, don't rely on LL/LA to do it for you.

Good luck ...

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi

The problem the Landlord/Letting Agent has here is they want to take video footage of the inside of the property that you are still living in and and that footage would then come under the Data Protection Act and they would need your Consent to do this.

How are they going to take this Video Footage without showing any of your personal belongings?
What are they going to be using that Video Footage for? (either to get someone new to rent or selling property)

They cannot demand that you agree/consent to this and there is no reason that they cannot wait until you have left to do this.

I agree that you must before you leave take pictures of not just your meter reading but the entire property room by room, garden (if you have one), Garage (if you have one), shed (if you have one) as this may be the area the Landlord trys to get back at you if you refuse by claiming damages.

When I say room by room I mean absolutely everything that is contained in each room right down to fixtures & fitting (i.e. light switches, sockets, paint condition, cooker, fridge, flooring, doors, window frames) everything so you have evidence if the landlord tries to claim damages you have the proof.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. I got the other two a bit late as I agreed to let them video. I took down personal photographs before they entered. This was the first time someone had entered my personal space since last year because of lockdown. I appreciate the landlord needs to make money - his 40 other properties keep his luxuries life going quite nicely- the thing that bothered me was the way he power walked into my life and requested in a manner that wasn't expecting a no. I had given him more than a months notice to be considerate to him and the same basic human respect was not reciprocated. These were my personal belongings to be posted on any marketing the company choose to use and anyone (including a thief) could see my belongs. This is a small area people talk and I'm only moving to the next street. I'm actually quite scared that someone might try to break into my new place now. Crime is on the increase.

8 hours ago, stu007 said:

The problem the Landlord/Letting Agent has here is they want to take video footage of the inside of the property that you are still living in and and that footage would then come under the Data Protection Act and they would need your Consent to do this.

I'm not sure that's correct. How would a picture of a room be 'personal information' about OP? Assuming OP hadn't left his name/photo/bank statement etc on display to be videod.