• Tweets

• Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
    • stopping payments until a DN arrives does not equal automatic sale to a DCA...if you resume payments after the DN.  
    • Sleep apnoea: used to require the condition  to be “completely” controlled Sometime before June 2013 DVLA changed it to "adequately" controlled. I have to disagree with MitM regarding the effect of informing DVLA and S.88 A diagnosis of sleep apnoea doesn't mean a licence wont be granted, and, indeed, here it was. If the father sought medical advice (did he?) : this is precisely where S.88 applies https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64edcf3a13ae1500116e2f5d/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf p.4 for “new medical condition” It is shakier ground if the opinion of a healthcare professional wasn’t sought. in that case it is on the driver to state they believed they met the medical standard to drive. However, the fact the licence was then later granted can be used to be persuasive that the driver’s belief they met the standard was correct. What was the other condition? And, just to confirm, at no point did DVLA say the licence was revoked / application refused? I’d be asking DVLA Drivers’ Medical Group why they believe S.88 doesn’t apply. S.88 only applies for the UK, incidentally. If your licence has expired and you meet the conditions for S.88 you can drive in the U.K., but not outside the U.K. 
    • So you think not pay until DN then pay something to the oc to delay selling to dcas?    then go from there? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SPML/LMC anyone claimed for mis selling and unfair charges?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need to have another look to see if I can offer an opinion, but my current understanding is that the only exempt loan is a mortgage after oct 2004 and that is covered/regulated by the FSA who have stated that they will regulate in accordance with this legislation. I think it might be a good idea to have a separate thread specifically around s140B as it may well help many people facing repossession.

My mortgage co has threatened repossession, but since I mentioned s140b they've gone quiet - either their preparing for repossession or they're thinking very carefully about the implications. Given the result in bleman vs bentley I think financial institutions might just be a little concerned...

I'm a little busy at the mo, but I'll start a separate thread soon...

Excellent idea AM, I was going to start a thread for unfair relationship too but feel free to start it and I'll join in along with many other caggers. In fact I am quite surprised no one has started one yet.

I am currently trying to use the bentley vs blemain to my advantage too as I too have loan with Blemain.

Better late than never hey:D

People who want to buy a home or property apply for a loan from the lender and with that money buy their property and then that property is owned by the lender/bank until all the loan is repaid right?

Hi Fretful,

Just on this one point this is not the case. Historically this was how mortgages were formed but since the Law of Property Act 1925 introduced legal charges this is not the case. For a readable explanation you could try this link:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage#Mortgage_by_legal_charge

First and second charges are exactly the same and the difference is only order in which they are registered. If you repaid a first charge while a second charge remained outstanding then it would become a first charge.

First charges are not necessarily for house purchase, plenty of people remortgaged for capital raising purposes until funds dried up in the credit cruch.

To get a secured loan whether it's the first, second, third or fiftieth the lender will expect a charge on a property by the very nature of the product.

There are obviously differences in regulation (or lack of it) with second charges but not with the way they are created and registered with land registry.

Hope this helps.

KC

Hi Fretful,

Just on this one point this is not the case. Historically this was how mortgages were formed but since the Law of Property Act 1925 introduced legal charges this is not the case. For a readable explanation you could try this link:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage#Mortgage_by_legal_charge

First and second charges are exactly the same and the difference is only order in which they are registered. If you repaid a first charge while a second charge remained outstanding then it would become a first charge.

First charges are not necessarily for house purchase, plenty of people remortgaged for capital raising purposes until funds dried up in the credit cruch.

To get a secured loan whether it's the first, second, third or fiftieth the lender will expect a charge on a property by the very nature of the product.

There are obviously differences in regulation (or lack of it) with second charges but not with the way they are created and registered with land registry.

Hope this helps.

KC

:( not good hey but on a brighter note bentley vs blemain did argue using the unfair relationship test, although it did not set a prescident but still very useful information there was used.

BBC NEWS | Business | Five-year block on repossession

In the above story Mr Bentley's lawyers claimed that Blemain had loaned the money to him irresponsibly, taking advantage of his naivety, vulnerability and desperation.

Well Blemain loan ed me the money whilst I was on benefits, in receipt of DLA and already in financial difficulties. The DWP were paying the interest on my mortgage, so I do have many points and can use the unfair relationship regardless of whether my second charge is regarded as a mortgage or not. But really need to investigate and be a 100% sure.

Second charges aren't regulated by the FSA. The OFT regulate under the CCA. So those that aren't covered by the CCA (i.e those over 25K) and are second charges appear to slip through the regs. This is highly relevant to a lot of posters here with 2nd charge loans over 25k from these robbin scumbags. Agreed a new thread may well be the way forward.

Keep the faith. EiE.

Capstone Mortgage 'Services' - Sub-prime garbage - unlawful behaviour/MULTIPLE consumer abuse, TOTALLY in Defiance of REGULATIONS and the law

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/gmac_rfc.pdf

CONTACT CIB Here

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/Complaintformcib.Htm

Kevin Hughes(Compliance Manager-main) @ 02920 380 633

Lee Jenkins(prosecuting Amany Attia) 02920 380 643

Mark Youde(accounts compliance) 02920 380 955

Charlotte Allan @ 0207 596 6108 investigating all the Lehman lenders

Jeremy Pilcher 0207 637 6231

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

"We would not seek a battle, as we are; Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it"

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulates most consumer credit and consumer hire agreements with individuals - which is defined as including sole traders and partnerships of two or three partners.

Until 6 April 2008, agreements were excluded from regulation if the amount of credit or hire exceeded £25,000. However, this financial limit was removed for all new credit and hire agreements by the Consumer Credit Act 2006. Pre-existing agreements above £25,000 remain outside CCA regulation.

There are a number of exemptions from the 1974 Act. These are principally set out in section 16 and the Consumer Credit (Exempt Agreements) Order 1989 as amended.

In particular, there are exemptions for:

• first charge mortgages regulated by the Financial Services Authority
  • some second charge mortgages, depending upon the nature of the agreement and the identity of the lender
  • agreements for goods or services where the consumer has to repay the credit within twelve months in four payments or fewer
  • charge cards and similar agreements where the consumer has to repay the outstanding balance in full at the end of each period
  • credit union agreements where the APR does not exceed 26.9 per cent
  • credit agreements offered to a limited group of borrowers where the APR does not exceed a specified 'low cost' rate (set by reference to average base rates)
  • certain agreements relating to overseas finance.

The 2006 Act introduced two new categories of exempt agreement:

• lending to high net worth individuals, with net income exceeding £150,000 or net assets exceeding £500,000 and supporting documentation

Exempt agreements - The Office of Fair Trading

I will just find the bit about s.140

Second charges aren't regulated by the FSA. The OFT regulate under the CCA. So those that aren't covered by the CCA (i.e those over 25K) and are second charges appear to slip through the regs. This is highly relevant to a lot of posters here with 2nd charge loans over 25k from these robbin scumbags. Agreed a new thread may well be the way forward.

Agreed to EIE, otherwise this thread will just go off track which won't be fair to the OP and points relating to their arguments with Spml.

Bentleys solicitors used the unfair relationship route to fight his case. His loan was over £25k and secured on his property, so that must mean some good news as it made to the national papers.

However, don't forget....

Not sure if Fretful has a mortgage or loan but bad news if it is a mortgage as 140a continues-

"The unfair relationships provisions apply to credit agreements whether

regulated or not, and regardless of the amount of credit extended.5 The sole exception is where an agreement is exempt under section 16(6C) of the 1974 Act because it is a regulated mortgage contract under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. In all other respects, the

provisions apply to exempt agreements including those which will be

exempt by virtue of section 16A (high net worth borrowers) or section

16B (business lending for more than £25,000) of the 1974 Act.6 "

However, don't forget....

Very good info there sue once again, so where it states

In particular, there are exemptions for:

some second charge mortgages, depending upon the nature of the agreement and the identity of the lender

leaves it open minded and unsure for people to know exactly where they stand if they want to challenge their agreements using this act. Who knows what "some" really does mean, another bit of the jigsaw to find :rolleyes: hey.

They really know how to cover their backs with their wording, as they don't want to set a prescident as this will open up so many floodgates and damns. :D

Here it is

I haven't made a particularly good go of starting the argument but everyone pretty much knows the issues.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgages-secured-loans/256790-2nd-charge-fairness-enforceability.html#post2890620

Look forward to your responses...

Keep the faith. EiE.

Capstone Mortgage 'Services' - Sub-prime garbage - unlawful behaviour/MULTIPLE consumer abuse, TOTALLY in Defiance of REGULATIONS and the law

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

"We would not seek a battle, as we are; Nor, as we are, we say we will not shun it"

HI cher69cher69

I'm not up to speed with your posts I'm afraid. Just keep posting here until enough people tell you that you shouldn't! There's always a good reason for starting your own thread though and that is that people are only interested in your argument and situation. At least for a while anyway... (LOL) :D

Keep the faith. EiE.

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

Suetonius and EiE, apologies for the cagbotting you will no doubt receive. Any forward references to the posts that fmann made have been unapproved. :)

fmann, I have removed reference to your request for people to pm you for information. Regardless of whether it was meant in good faith, fmann, CAG does not encourage users to pm for information where a charge is also being requested.

No apologies needed, totally agree and understand

Can anyone advise me if SPPl/Capstone have to go back to court to evict me from my home as I have a suspended possession order on it at the moment and need to know how much time I have got to complain about them. I also need to know if i should apply to vary the order in the mean time because they wont agree to the one i am proposing which is the original order the court made. OH God this sounds so stupid !! but i dont know what other way to explain it thank you cher69:)

Guest MamaG1

I am trying to get my head around this CCA 1974 and it's s140B in real terms too, cn some one pls say in layman english what this means to us.

Advantage or a disadvantage then??.

Can all please look at my tread on repossesions and comments.

thanks

Can anyone advise me if SPPl/Capstone have to go back to court to evict me from my home as I have a suspended possession order on it at the moment and need to know how much time I have got to complain about them. I also need to know if i should apply to vary the order in the mean time because they wont agree to the one i am proposing which is the original order the court made. OH God this sounds so stupid !! but i dont know what other way to explain it thank you cher69:)

A suspended possession order can usually be enforced without a further hearing if the terms of the order have been breached. You need to go back to the court and ask them to vary the terms if you cannot afford it...

Hi Animal Magic

We keep hitting a brick wall with this one. Say a second charge loan was entered into in 2005, but was over the £25K limit for the purposes of the CCA. It doesn't get covered by the CCA 74 or CCA 2006.

Is it a loan or is it a mortgage? To me there seems to be a great big regulatory black hole here. They claim (as they would that it is unregulated)

Equally there seems to be no mention of this as a risk factor in the prospectuses. They were concerned about "dual regulation" but not about no regulation.

I've often though a professional legal opinion was desirable here. Is there any such beast as an unregulated consumer contract?

You're right on one thing though. It does seem to be a very powerful basis for challenging these contracts.

Thoughts? Sue? I really am confused about the status of such a loan. Was this a free for all gap in consumer protection law? I'm fairly sure there is no retrospective effect to the CCA 2006 which abolished the limit.

My reading and understanding is that ANY consumer agreement is covered whether regulated or not. The only exemption is under s16 6 c which AFAIK is mortgages regulated by the FSA - i.e. mortgages taken out since Oct 2004.

As suggested in my previous post, maybe it is simple enough to put together a case to seek a judgement from the CC that the agreement is illegal under s140. If you got such a judgement, then that would put you in a powerful position, to say the least. :-)

the provisions apply to exempt agreements including those which will be

exempt by virtue of section 16A (high net worth borrowers) or section

16B (business lending for more than £25,000) of the 1974 Act.6

Suetonius agrees...? :-)

Hi cher

As noted elsewhere the normal procedure is for them to wait for you to breach the order then they apply to the court without notifying you first for a warrant for eviction. The barstewards will do this at the drop of a hat such as late payment or a shortfall in the agreed overpayment.

More insidious though is that they exploit how useless the courts really are by claiming a breach WHERE NONE AS OCCURRED and the useless court just rubber stamps it. After all the lender would not lie would they?

Ive heard cases of people paying and them simply not processing it, of claiming payments haven't been made where they have and so on. The **** are tireless in their quest to rob you of your house and throw you and your family's sorry asses on the street.

I never cease to be amazed by their boll0cks. What do they mean they don't like the court order? IT IS AN ORDER OF THE COURT. They'll have a hard time arguing that so if they go for eviction FIGHT AND WIN BECAUSE YOU WILL WIN.

Why do you want to vary the order? There are strict time limits on this in any case.

Keep the faith. EiE.

OH AND KEEP FIGHTING THE ****.

Keep the faith. EiE.

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

Hi everyone:-)

I felt I must make you guys aware that I have a :shock:mental illness :shock:which is rather annoying when you know what you want to say but you cant write it down:cry:. In other words my brain gets easily muddled:confused: with lots of information that is why I end up posting on the wrong boards and putting things sometimes that are totally irrelevent. Just wanted to make you guys aware that I am not a complete LOON!!!:lol: I was once quite intelligent but the worst part is that one day I can be as bright as button:p, and the next, I cant even string a sentance together:confused:. lol!! Just thought I would let you know didn't want you thinking I was being an idiot !!:rolleyes:

okay, thats off my chest now onward and upward gotta keep smiling!! lol:grin:

Thankyou for your understanding and putting up with me cher69 x:-)

Cher

When was the order made, what does it say and why do you want to vary it?

Keep the faith. EiE.

CONTACT CIB Here

NO KAGGA LEFT BEHIND...

hi enoughisenough

The order was made back on the 14th November 2007.

It says order for possession (morgaged premises) Suspended.

Upon hearing Mrs..........in person (I dont know how because I did not attend)

and upon mr.............not attending( err yes he did attend)

1.The defendant give the claimant possession of ...............on or before the 14th of December 2007

2. This order is not to be enforced so long as the defendant pays the claimant the unpaid instalments under the mortgage of £370.66 by the payments set out below in addition to the current instalments under the mortgage payment required £20.00 per month the first instalment being paid on or before the 5th Decemeber 2007.

THEN FURTHER DOWN IT SAYS TO THE DEFENDANT

The court has ordered that unless you pay the arrears under the mortgage at the rate set out above in addition to your normal payments

you must leave the premises.

Payments should be made to the claimant not made to the court

if you need further information about making payments please contact the claimant.

If you do not make the payments or leave the premises the claimant can ask the court without further hearing to authorise a baliff or high court enforcement officer to evict you. (in that case you can apply to the court to stay the eviction, a judge will decide if there are grounds to do so).

If you do not pay the money owed when it is due and the claimant takes steps to enforce payment, the order will be registered in the register of judgements orders and fines. this will make it difficult for you to obtain credit.

Thats it!!

The reason I am saying about asking the court to vary the order is because SPPL have decided that that the amount that the court ordered me to make is not enough now, because to them because when i missed a payment last year I managed to pay more than £20 to get back on track again and then when I had got straight I reverted back to the original order. Paying just the extra £20 the court ordered me to pay but they have decided that i can obviously afford to give them more money in the future.

But then like you say i thought why am i asking the court to vary the order??:confused: It was the only thing I could think of doing at the time so that the court would make a new order that sppl couldnt argue with. But then I thought you twit !! I would be asking the court to make an order to vary the order to what it already is, oh jeez see they have got me that confused !!! so that idea went out of the window really!! I dont know what to do to be honest lol!!:confused: I am up to date with my payments and just this month is due on the arranged date of the 24th which was arranged with an advisor on the telephone just after court because our money doesnt go in the bank till then, they said thats fine at the time but i think theyhave forgotten they agreed that hence the late payment fees. arrhhhhh!!

We have tried to tell them over the phone that we had to rob peter to pay paul basically not pay someone else to catch up with the mortgage. But they were having none of it and are now charging me late fees, litigation fees, arrears management fees, every month. Now our income has gone down by £400 a month so there is no way I can pay any more we are going to be struggling as it is now. We told them this but they demanded a new income and expenditure sheet and copies of all our household bills totals of all the arrears and once they received all that they wanted me to phone them to go through it to see if I could save any money anywhere.

I thought are you fools joking. But i did what they asked but told them i wasnt phoning them, they wrote back on the saying the gas bill was missing (it wasn't), so I wrote back on the 13th of April saying I had had enough :-xand they better sort it all out refund my fees and charges or i was going to report them to the FSA and OFT. I gave them 7 days to reply.

They sent me a letter back on the 15th of April which didnt even mention my letter just threatening to take me back to court, and now my arrears total is £3177.86 and I havent got a clue how they have ended up with that figure, I thought that by the court making an order the arrears were supposed to go down not up????

I am sorry I hope that all makes sense!!!

(I will put the letters on to show you is that okay?? :)

Thank you so much for you help)

It is really appreciated

kind regards Cher69