Material change in job description

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if the following would\could amount to a material change in a job description?:   I currently have line mangement responsibility for 2 individuals, which is explictly stated within my written job description.   My employer wants to increase this to line management responsibilty for 3 individuals (with an associated increase in the remit of my role) without formally changing my JD, grade or pay - they are using a threat of capability proceedings to coerce me into this.

Thanks

In general I wouldn't expect expect a minor change like that justify a regrading or pay increase but we don't know enough about the context to say for certain. It sounds like a minor change to me, your core tasks and responsibilities are the same I presume.

Are there other line managers doing exactly the same job as you will be doing - line managing 3 people - who are on a higher grade and pay than you?

Thanks - yes there are people doing a similar role to me and only line managing 2 people.  My core tasks and responsibilties have also changed as I have been asked to spend half my time on two new projects, which is partly what the original post reporting to me is meant for.

It wont matter how many people you manage if the interaction with them is the same.

Let us assume that the people you manage are qualified to do their jobs rather than trainess- they are responsible for their output and safety so his time taken to actually manage will be minimal and any evaluated job scale wouldnt alter just because there is another person of the same level to watch over.

More of the same = the same so what is the other material change you mention?

It will take up more of my time as the person recruited is a trainee, so I will have to train them up into quite a complex and organisation specific role. At the same time I have been asked to spend half my time on 2 new large projects - these are completely new to me an the organisation (and not in my JD)

does the company pay structure use an evaluation scheme? if so that will answer things. If not then you should consider asking for an increase in pay unless training new people is part of your existing job.

New project= more of the same usually unless new technology is involved. Jobs evolve and even the most jumior cleaners get given new mops occasionally.

i am not trying to play down the changes but you have to look at things objectively, does the new project utilise the same skills you are employed to use? do you or others ahve experience in this work, whether part fo your current job or not.  have you been trained or have the necessary qualificatrions to take on the new project regardless of how this training and education came about?

I was made a senior researcher in a project that called upon my hobby of rifle shooting to get the contract as access to MoD facilities were required. No promotion though becasue the experience level was judged to not have changed as everyone has a life they can call upon to solve problems. If it wasnt me then they would have trained up another person so the only loss would have been time.

Use comparators if no evaluation scheme but look at the work complexity rather than just number of people under the team leader/manager