Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
        • Like
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
        • Like
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Swapping two cars: Road Tax implications

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Would appreciate some advice on the task I've been landed with.


My Dad (92) has lost his licence and has got a SORN for his car. He wants to swap the car with one of my daughters car and then sell her car. His car is much better than hers and it will definitely benefit her. My concern is the whole road tax scenario. This is what I think I have to do, but I'd welcome any advice


1.Inform the DVLA that my Dad intends to give his car to somebody else

2.Complete the paperwork for his logbook to transfer the car to a new owner

3.My daughter informs the DVLA that she is giving her car to soembody else

4.She completes the logbook paperwork.

5.She informs her insurance company that she is trading cars

6.My daughter taxes my Dad's old car

7.My Dad applies for a SORN for my daughters old car


My concerns are around 6 and 7. How does my daughter start the process of taxing a car that currently has a SORN? It was done quite recently and no paperwork has come through yet. Does this matter?


Does my Dad have to tax the car first and then apply for a SORN for my daughter's car? Or can he just go directly to applying for a SORN


Any help or advice would be gratefully received

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your father's car still have an MOT, or is it under 3 years old? If it has MOT and the daughter insures it, the V5 can be signed and sent to DVLA and the car can be taxed from the tear off slip, at a Post office and I think online.

  • Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.


Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Dad is going to be stuffed for a months tax too, the greedy DVLA only refund on a monthly basis and at 2nd Oct , your dad will loose the entire month and then your daughther will be stuffed again as she will will have to pay from the 1st of the month even though it will be 5th, 6th or whatever when she comes to tax.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely it doesn't matter who pays the car tax... Why do names have to be swapped at all with regard to this. As long as cars that are parked or used on roads are taxed??


Its not a requirement at all that the owner, the keeper nor the driver must be the one that pays it.. As long as it IS paid???????

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If father (92) has had his Licence revoked, does he want a less suitable car (Ins etc)?

He can sell a SORNed vehicle (if the buyer is made aware of SORN regs).

SORN should be removed when buyer next validly taxes vehicle).

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the car is off road as in a private driveway etc, and on SORN there is no legal requirement for it to be insured,

We could do with some help from you.


Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the responses. Just to clear up:


MY Dad isn't palnning on driving again

His car has an MOT

It is on his drive with a SORN but is not insured


Does it make sense to wait until right at the start of November from a tax refund point of view. Isn't it only £12 or something for a month?


Can my daughter just tax the car straight away online or does she need some sort of code like on the renewal letters.


If my Dad isn't driving my daughters car can he just apply for a SORN staright away or does he need to go through the process of taxing it first?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do it all online without sending off any v5 and relying on the post. If you want to surrender tax by sale or sorn,


to claim a refund you have to do it before the end of month and it's when they receive it.


if you post it dvla say on the 29th and they don't receive it till 1st of the month you loose that months refund.


That's why doing it online is better cos you get instant notification.


And if the last day of the month is a Sunday, I think you can do it online up to 4pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If sorn no refund is due as tax isnt paid.

The only reason to transfer at 1st of Nov is so daughter gets a full month out of the tax money.


Also why complicate things by transferring a vehicle to someone who cant drive?

Daughter should just sell her car and hand over the money,

cheaper and less complicated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...