Avoiding deprivation of capital.

Trevstan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all just got a few questions about deprivation of capital and spending your savings so I don't get into bother further down the line.

I have recently made a claim for Income Support and have 10.2k savings which equates to £17 taken off every week (£1 every £250 over £6k).

What's reasonable to spend your savings on?

Would the DWP find it ok if I top up the deducted £17 per week from my savings?

How often should I inform the DWP of when my savings decrease? Every 1k or less/more?

Thanks Trev.

What's reasonable to spend your savings on?

Would the DWP find it ok if I top up the deducted £17 per week from my savings?

How often should I inform the DWP of when my savings decrease? Every 1k or less/more?

The rules on what is considered deprivation of capital is somewhat subjective and dependent on personal circumstances. If in doubt, it is often prudent to seek advice from the DWP before spending a large sum of money.

However, because the DWP are deducting £17 per week, they are expecting you to supplement your benefits with the savings. So yes, it would be reasonable to take £17 out of your savings each week. After a drop of £250 in savings, notify the DWP of a change in circumstances, and they will recalculate what they pay you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for the reply.

Do I have to supply bank statements to prove my savings have gone down?

Also they have over stated my savings I supplied (1 month) bank statements of £10229 they have put £10498 do they go through your statements and anything that you have excessively spent on they put it back on? Or have they made a mistake? It knocks an extra £1 off a week.

They also have put my partner as still claiming SSP even tho we told them we are claiming from the 23/1/2017 because the SSP has ended on the 22/1/2017... We supplied a SSP1 from my partner's work place but they have lost it/overlooked it... I have sent it again via the jobcentre but if they are not playing ball what can i provide to state the SSP has ended?

Trev