• Tweets

• @jk2054 - I haven't started a claim with OIC or MIB yet, due to being unable to obtain the name of the other driver.  @BankFodder cheers for that, I'll go back to them with this info & update on here when I've had a response.
    • Andy thanks for your reply. No i am now being evicted from the house i moved into after that previous post. The letting agent lied to me when they said the landlord would not be selling the house. SHe did not mention that the landlord tried to sell the house last year, i was not told this, 4 months into the tenancy i got the eviction notice. Its obvious they lied to me and used me to fill in the gap between their attempts to sell the house. I have filled in the defence form as it was easy to follow the old one from my previous post. I will post it later on in the hope someone can give it the once over. It has to be in by the end of this month may 31st.  
    • It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Allan1983 v Barclays

allan1983
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I feel quite guilty to be honest, as i registered here a couple of weeks ago, and have used some of the bank charge letter templates, but have yet to come and say hi.:-|

In my defence though, i was hoping to make an open and shut success case, and post here when we were refunded some of our edited money:rolleyes:

Up until today, everything was going swimmingly. I sent the letter asking for statements, which arrived fairly quickly, and the bank (Barclays by the way) returned our £10 payment and said they would do it for free.

Next, i used the spreadsheet to work out how much we were owed... £1300 with the 8% on top.

Sent this together with the 'Give it back!' letter (also from here) and had a reply within about a week offering us £570.

Obviously, i then sent the 'Thanks but no thanks' letter, and sat and waited for what i hoped would be a fat cheque and apology to arrive.

HOWEVER, got home from work today to a letter that basically said: 'Thats as much as we're offering you, take it or leave it, take us to Small claims if thats what you want'

Im gutted!!!!

Now i dont know whether to cave and take the offer, as we can get it before christmas, or take it further.

Anyone want to offer up an opinion?

Has anyone else had a similar situation with Barclays specifically?

Thanks guys 'n' girls!!!!

LONG LIVE C.A.G!!!!

THE STORY SO FAR:

~Asked for my Statements: 2/10/06

~Got them within 14 days (fair play)

~Asked for the money back:18/10/06

~Computer said no!!!! (not all of it anyway)

~Rejected the (crap) offer (£570/£1300): 11/11/06

~Computer said Hell no!!!!

~Barclays said I can go to court if I want (like they've got the balls to go that far!)

~MCOL done 29/11/06

~Barclays acknowledged: 18/12/06

~AQ received, filled out and returned: 4/01/2007

~Court date set for 28/03/2007

Cant help thinking that soon, Barclays might have to have a go with a test case.... Hope they dont choose me!!!!

Small (SORRY) donation given, cos i reckon i might win in the end, and without you guys i would never have started this process!!: 16/11/06

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel quite guilty to be honest, as i registered here a couple of weeks ago, and have used some of the bank charge letter templates, but have yet to come and say hi.:-|

In my defence though, i was hoping to make an open and shut success case, and post here when we were refunded some of our edited money:rolleyes:

Up until today, everything was going swimmingly. I sent the letter asking for statements, which arrived fairly quickly, and the bank (Barclays by the way) returned our £10 payment and said they would do it for free.

Next, i used the spreadsheet to work out how much we were owed... £1300 with the 8% on top.

Sent this together with the 'Give it back!' letter (also from here) and had a reply within about a week offering us £570.

Obviously, i then sent the 'Thanks but no thanks' letter, and sat and waited for what i hoped would be a fat cheque and apology to arrive.

HOWEVER, got home from work today to a letter that basically said: 'Thats as much as we're offering you, take it or leave it, take us to Small claims if thats what you want'

Im gutted!!!!

Now i dont know whether to cave and take the offer, as we can get it before christmas, or take it further.

Anyone want to offer up an opinion?

Has anyone else had a similar situation with Barclays specifically?

Thanks guys 'n' girls!!!!

LONG LIVE C.A.G!!!!

This post originally sat in the general sub-forum, and i wondered if there was anywhere more specific i could post....:D

Only took me 6-odd hours to realise!!

please dont use this word !

THE STORY SO FAR:

~Barclays said I can go to court if I want (like they've got the balls to go that far!)

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Cant help thinking that soon, Barclays might have to have a go with a test case.... Hope they dont choose me!!!!

Small (SORRY) donation given, cos i reckon i might win in the end, and without you guys i would never have started this process!!: 16/11/06

Almost everyone gets a paultry offer from Barclays at this stage. It is up to you whether you accept their offer or stick it out and get it all back.

It seems that the only way to get ALL your money back from Barclays is to take Court ction.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

Right, ive drasfted a letter up today to send as a last resort before i go down the whole MCOL road.

Ill post it up when i get home tonight, i havent got time to type it up now!

Ill need some people's adsvice on it though, i dont want to overstep the mark or lessen my chances of a settlement before court!

Has anyone had any joy with this tack?

Edit @ 9pm ish:

Right, heres the letter. Does anyone think theres anythin that i shouldnt include? Or for that matter anythin i should?

Any advice here is very much appreciated, as i can send this tomorrow if theres no probs.

I was very disappointed to receive your letter of / /06, as I had hoped this issue could be resolved quickly.

I am now aware that all the letters I have received from you thusfar have been nothing more than standard responses, as I have discussed my position with a great number of people who have been in a similar position. While your responses have been prompt, they cannot have related particularly to my case, and with this in mind, there are several issues I would like you to clarify for me, so that I may make a better judgement of my position before I take further action.

Although I did request this in one of my previous letters, you have made no attempt to justify any portion of my charges. If you can do so, I would be willing to deduct this -no doubt minute sum- from the total I am seeking.

You have offered the sum of £570 as a ‘good will gesture’, but I cannot see where this figure has come from. In my specific case this equates to approximately 44% of my total amount, but other clients have had offers ranging from as little as 30%, to as much as 55%. Obviously, even 55% is still too little, but the point is, 44% is no discernable proportion of my total claim.

I would like to question why, if you state you are not liable for my claim, you have felt the need to offer any form of goodwill. This appears to be a somewhat obvious attempt to dissuade me from pursuing my claim further, although I am sure you are aware that should a county court judgement be necessary, it would unquestionably fall in my favour.

I would like to ensure you are ware that I fully intend to take this claim to court if you are unwilling to resolve it in a more pleasant manner. Please consider though that taking the claim to this level will mean I will require not only the original claim amount, but also the inherent costs of such action, and any othe interest which may accrue.

I would also like for you to clarify your position with regards to notices placed on the credit register, as placing these notices will have adversely affected my credit score, and this will also need to be addressed by the courts.

Hopefully this letter will give you more cause to reflect on what a somewhat iniquitous situation. I would very much appreciate it if you would take the time to consider my position, and refrain from sending me, yet another standard letter. I am happy to give you seven days in which to respond, after which I will begin the process of a court claim, with no notice. You can of course choose to not acknowledge this letter, but copies of all correspondence, together with your lack of response, will be supplied to the county courts.

I look forward to a prompt response, and hopefully an amicable solution.

Yours faithfully

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Any comments greatly appreciated guys n girls!

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Without interest, its £1105. Im a bit gutted if ive cocked up!

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

well that's a lot of money to give up if that's what you decide. I know what I'd do...go to court AND get the 8% as they're inviting you to do! I suggest you read a few Barclays success stories and see how long its taking for the money to come through. I have a claim with Barclaycard and they're definitely dragging it out. Don't worry too much about the interest error - it won't get in the way of your claim.

Anyone??

Or it goes blind tomorrow...

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Barclays have made you an offer,and this is not out of the ordinary.

With Christmas looming it is very tempting but its a lot of money to give up if you accept the offer.

They obviously know that this is a good time to be making offers as single parents and low income families plan their Christmas with not much money.

Its your call here.

They may make a secondary offer or may not.

Obviously the offer on the table will have acceptance time limits and will be withdrawn.

You have to decide whether you can hold out for the full amount no one can decide that for you.

There is of course the question of signing a conf agreement ?????

You should consider whether that could be favourable to you should the bank see fit to ask for your considerations ahem cough you can see what I mean ?

You could ask that they make it favourable for you to do so.................................;)

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

How about accepting the offer as a partial payment only and then proceeding to the courts to claim the rest. That way you get some cash in time ofr chrimbo - providing of course barclays go for it

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

Not a bad idea actually, would they go for this though?

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Allan,

In my opinion the bank is just playing the same game with you that it has done with hundreds if not thousands of others.

It knows it cant win but it will almost certainly force you to go all the way with your claim. However, that's not such a daunting prospect as it may seem. You have all the information you need on this site to do it and there are plenty of willing helpers at every step of the way.

If it were me, I would follow the step-by-step process and read up as much as you can here on how to go about it and see how others have faired. All seem to have done better than they expected.

Again, if it were me, I would stick it out. Don't impose any deadline on yourself (i.e. try to forget about getting it for Christmas). Do the Letter Before Action if you dont get what you want in the next reply. Then if you dont get a full refund do the claim and, I would go for the contractual rate of interest and just follow the courts instructions, as necessary.

From the way you've written your letter, it seems to me, it will all be a doddle for you once you really get going but if you get stuck and need any help, just let me know or write to one of the experts on here.

Surprised so few people have offered you any more helpful advice.

Good luck.

Lloyds TSB - £3,300.00 + £250.00 from FOS.

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED***

Allan I agree with Notlam,

Most of us have been in that position whereby we are offered a paltry amount to settle. Obviously it is up to the individual to accept or not but I think you would be kicking yourself after Christmas knowing that with a bit of patience you could have had all your money back.

It is frustrating but just sit back, there is an end in sight believe me.

Surprised so few people have offered you any more helpful advice.

Good luck.

Im glad its not just me that thought that, I must admit.

Maybe you guys dont like my face or something?

Does anyone think the letter will be of any use?

Can it do any harm to send?

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

It is a very good letter. However, IMHO it won't make any difference. We are all following a set tried and tested procedure to get our money back. Barclays are doing the same. They have no interest in what you say or do. They just want to drag it all out in the hope you will give up or settle for less than you are owed.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

Spot on Spotty.

They just want to test your mettle Allan. I wouldn't worry too much whether your letter is perfect, or not. It will just get the same cursory 7 second glance that all our letters get from the assistant to the assistant to the assistant bank manager and then it will be put in the "yes, he's bottled it" or "no, he hasn't given up yet" pile.

I urge you to stay in the latter pile and experience how the whole daft process plays out. It'll be worth it for you.

Lloyds TSB - £3,300.00 + £250.00 from FOS.

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED***

As these guys have said, Allan, it's your call.

Deal or No Deal ? Are you gonna trust the Banker ?

I would suggest that you look at the possibilities of claiming Contractual Interest, and take your time. Have a "quiet" Christmas, perhaps, but look forward to a well-prosperous new year !!

If you take the money now, and run, then I warn you - whatever you do - do NOT look back !!!

Allan your thread should be in the Barclays forum, you should PM a mod and ask for it to be moved out of general.

I think the reason you didn't get a more helpful response was because you had posted different bits in different forums and as they have all now been tied together it appears that people were ignoring some of your posts which is not the case. Your letter was not in this thread previously. As previous posters have said, your letter is good but it probably won't get the result you're hoping for. I think Barclays in particular are passing the matter over to solicitors as a matter of course and cases are being dragged out as far as the legal process will allow it before settlements are being offered. By all means try it but be prepared to have to resort to the tried and tested methods put up on the site.

Allan your thread should be in the Barclays forum, you should PM a mod and ask for it to be moved out of general.

Er... It got moved OUT of the Barclays forum?:confused:

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Maybe that was to tie it together with your other thread in the general forum. It should be in Barclays though.

I suggest you ask for the title to be changed at the same time to something more appropriate.

Fair enough.

Who should i PT?

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

go to the main screen, at the bottom of the forums - just above the box which tells you everyone who is currently online - you should see "View Forum Leaders" The ones with a green light next to their name are online. If you click on one you will be able to send a PM. Include a link to your thread and tell them what you want the title changed to.

Done os, thanks mate.

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06