Restriction K, Divorce, and Inheritance?

maddiemay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

I really do appreciate your interest and input.

I have made enquiries with various solicitors, and am waiting to hear back.

I'm going to make sure I choose one very carefully, one who knows about these matters, not just divorce.

I'm quite certain the husband will buy a property,

the last time I spoke to him (when he told me the FMH and its debt wasn't anything to do with him anymore)

he said he wants his own place,

I guess it will prevent him from having to shack up with any old woman that shows an interest in him just to have somewhere to live ha ha!

At the end of the day, anything I get from him would be a bonus,

but I'll give it my best shot that's for sure.

I won't agree to anything with anyone without checking with you guys first, after all you're the only people I can trust because you have nothing to gain from it (except for a donation to the site)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Divorce is not instant,

2 years or more is normal, sometimes 6 years if one party doesnt play ball

The reason for laying your ammuntion out is that when FiL does pop his clogs

hubby will be busy burying his money in the garden somewhere and you will be too slow off the mark to get any of it.

You will not be demanding anything yet,

just staking a claim on the likely future assets and that is allowable.

If it is ordered by a court he wont be in a hurry to cash in on the property.

Speak to a divorce lawyer about procedure if nothing else,

the forms are easy enough to fill in and when you first apply there is plenty of the paperwork that isnt done but relies on the family court taking the next steps which leads to a decree nisi.

Unless you have screwed up badly that leaves a lot of the horse trading to be done at or just before the absolute stage.

I'm very confused,

how can I ask for a share of something he hasn't got yet,

at the moment he lives with a woman in her house,

and is working on piddly little jobs,

if I do anything now, I'll get 50% of nohing.

Surely still being his wife whether he likes it or not gives me more claim when the time comes.

I'm not the brightest at being devious so some help will be very appreciated

Hi all

I have been trawling through divorce websites for the last 18 months so know the process can take a while, but from what I can gather it's the finances that cause the biggest delays.

If I stake any claim now, fil will undoubtedly keep it in his account and drip feed the ex,

but If I keep my head down he won't know I even know he's getting anything,

as far as he's aware I'm still under the impression it misses that generation out completely,

which was always the case up until last year when his mum died when obviously fil changed his will.

Hopefully he will then happily purchase his new home, then in time inherit the shares in the two other properties, then I will have something worth fighting for.

I am in the process of selecting a solicitor who has expertise in this field,

so I'm not sitting back and doing nothing,

I'm taking all your advice on board but cannot risk making any noises until fil is too ill to change his will,

callous I know but I don't have anyone to look after me so have had to get dam tough and selfish,

besides being so unceremoniously tossed aside and left to fend for myself I don't think I have any feelings for them anymore.

refer to No 48 above, if/when you proceed to get divorce proceedings then make sure the solicitors as an add on that future inheritance of either party is administered as per 50% etc, use in future use,as I stated I lost out due to my circumstances at the time

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: